Wtf is this shit and how is it comprehensible?

Wtf is this shit and how is it comprehensible?

Other urls found in this thread:

newyorker.com/books/page-turner/a-great-translator-takes-on-one-final-and-nearly-impossible-project
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sokal_affair
wsj.com/articles/the-seasons-biggest-novel-has-1-3-million-words-and-outweighs-a-bowling-ball-1474642359
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's a book

yep, can confirm that it appears to be a book

It looks weird at a glance, but once you know what he's trying to do it's not difficult to comprehend at all. There's a recent New Yorker interview with the translator that explains it pretty well.

>judging a book of ~1.5k pages by two of them
this

People call it an incomprehensible untranslatable German Finnegan's Wake but it's not nearly as obfuscatory and is actually enjoyable

link>?

I can't believe how many of you guys fell for this fucking meme

Y'havta reaD Joyce's ULYSSES 20=times!

holy shit

Ze germans have tricked you again.

BILD is a German tabloid, that's all I can gather from it.

2patrishun4me

I actually want more.

newyorker.com/books/page-turner/a-great-translator-takes-on-one-final-and-nearly-impossible-project

Have some random pages.
1/4

2/4

The Legacy of Totalitarianism in a Tundra looks more interesting.

3/4

4/4

This book is not for the living

>newyorker.com/books/page-turner/a-great-translator-takes-on-one-final-and-nearly-impossible-project
>this is good writing

Pro-tip: if it tries to make itself obscure, it's most likely shit.

Remember that sting operation whose name I forget. "Intellectuals" gobbled it up like cum from Jesus, and it was actual nonsense.

It's a game of the emperor's clothes more often than not. A bunch of semi-intelligent adults who want to give themselves extra value by sucking up to what others suck up to.

Absolutely childish. Also why I don't come here anymore.

Just came for the raid.

Faggots.

This is what happens when you translate a book that relies on bilingual puns to another language and leave out half of the context. It's a mess.

It's fun to have to be honest, for the sheer novelty alone.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sokal_affair

Unfortunately the Sokal Affair was bullshit. Derrida probs put it best when he told Sokal he could have published something worthwhile but instead will be remembered for this.

Of course it was bs, that's the point.The reason was to show how retardedly unscientific postmodernism and socal studies are.

Only 2000 copies were printed, in a few years they'll be worth hundreds.

Only 2000?

If I knew that I would have gotten 10.

If this is to be believed, yes.
wsj.com/articles/the-seasons-biggest-novel-has-1-3-million-words-and-outweighs-a-bowling-ball-1474642359

would you do us all a solid and repeat this 567 more times

or actually just this 142 more times, thanks matey

Seems so little considering the amount of press and attention it garnerend, then again the ones who did get it are very vocal about it perhaps giving an illusion of a higher printing volume.

Perhaps if I have time I will rig up my camera properly and do that.

this is excruciating
I wish this fucker would just say what the meme is somewhere and then translate it more directly
i.e. all the italicized words are obscure references to their Latin cognates or some shit
I mean it's not going to be that simple, but good fucking gravy, phonetic writing of English is just abhorrent (unfortunately), and so is plonking down flowery words once per sentence
also
>unmatched parentheses
>weird use of = for no apparent reason
>sizable portions just seem like schizophrenic ranting, so either the writer was fucked up or this cannot be translated at all (or both)

Fucking Hipster book. Throw that shit right in the garbage and let it be someone else's problem.

>Anus Schmidt

My trashcan isn't that large.

for you

looks like my IRC typing when i've had a few too many beers

> an anus = cookie then ?