Could Dorian Gray be read as a metaphor for modern NEET culture?

Could Dorian Gray be read as a metaphor for modern NEET culture?

>Lord Henry represents anons online, feeding the NEET poisonous ideas and memes without caring about the outcome
>Basil is the NEET's parents and everyone else who has reason to care for him
>the painting is the NEET's deteriorating irl self while he pursues meaningless pleasure through online activities
>Sybil represents the NEET's inability to form relationships with women, as he is used to jacking it to idealised waifus and frogposting
>the murder of Basil is the pain the NEET causes his family
>in the end the NEET tries to abandon his toxic lifestyle and form relationships with people, but realises that he is incapable of this and kills himself

Thats pretty interesting actually. How does basil creating the painting fit into this?

The NEET's parents and friends created an ideal image of him, being handsome and happy and having an education and job.

No, because you're operating under the premise that Dorian himself had no hand in what he became when in reality, he knew what he was doing all along. To say that Dorian Grays is analogous to the NEET is to say that DIO is the posterchild of the hikkikomori. In short, you're an idealistic idiot

>operating under the premise that Dorian himself had no hand in what he became

When did I ever say that? I thought it goes without saying that the NEET, like Dorian, is the architect of his own demise. He's simply influenced by others.

>DIO
I don't watch your Balinese basket weavings.

No, it still applies to hedonism now as it did then, possibly even more now that even the low and middle class goes out and parties every weekend.

There are other manifestations of hedonism besides partying.

And sitting on your pc is low on the rankings.

>this is your brain
>this is your brain on Roland Barthes' "Death of the Author"

Why? It's a form of self-indulgence. Do you really think hedonism boils down to "Last night I fucked 50 bitches, smoked 100 opiums and my syphillis got gonorrhea?"

No, I don't but clearly your example is more harmful.

>No, I don't but clearly your example is more harmful.
Not necessarily. Someone who goes out and gets trashed once a week but functions normally the rest of the week is hardly more hedonistic than someone who spends all of their time online leaving no time to be productive.

Anecdotally speaking, I know people who party a lot and I know NEETs, and NEET's are by far the more indulgent and undisciplined of the two in my experience.

You made it sound as though DG was the product of his environment. A NEET is mentally and physically stunted. They don't go anywhere or do anything. They have few self indulgent habits, primarily anime, video games, tendies, and 2D which you can extend to the masses of shit tier plebbit nerds, who like all those things to a lesser degree but have jobs and think they have a chance with girls or any social activity because they're completely out of touch. If I had to put it in like terms, Dorian Gray is Chad who sold his soul for eternal youth. Again, DG is a lot closer in character to Dio, who was supernaturally beautiful and wanted to explore and push the boundaries of his strength, except obviously the anime character's ambition was to be superior to his rival and then to ascend to godhood and that Dorian Gray wanted to experiment with how his experiences in life would effect him, as evidence by the life exploring sin and he was only driven to suicide when he realized it was too late for him to experience redemption, and I am in agreeance with the other user's beliefs that hedonism isn't limited to partying, you get a pretty good rush from watching your bank balance increase.

Anyways at this point I just think you're making an easy comparison with a literary character and the most obvious archetype you could compare it to on Veeky Forums, so you can get fucked

neets don't do it because they want to, they do it because they're weak willed and they're fucking terrified of the outside world and any kind of social situation.

Go away with your Jojo shit. No anime allowed in this thread.

I absolutely disagree.
"Last night I fucked 50 bitches, smoked 100 opiums and my syphillis got gonorrhea" is a far more soul enriching experience, and a much higher pleasure than sitting on your PC shitposting on Veeky Forums.

I agree. Being a NEET is also much more harmful than that. Any physical disease you get from the experience can be cured, but the effects of NEETdom never truly go away.

Isn't the yellow book meant to be A Rebours? Which is all about NEET shit

Shit, I hadn't even realised. I want to read it now.

Honestly when I made this shitpost I had no idea that actual discussion would come out of it.

get the fuck off this website normie

hedonism is harmful

You have every other board, fuck off.