What books did you read in October?

What books did you read in October?

bump

Oh right, I forgot Veeky Forums doesn't actually read, they just talk about reading.

I read...

The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch by PKD
Masters of Doom by David Kushner
and started, now almost done, with The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen

I bought The Bell Jar to read, OP. I hope it is good; I want to experience more women writers from pre-2000s desu. Mother Night is an underrated Vonnegut book in my opinion, but it's a little different than what he usually does.
What did you think of it?

Dumbass, lit is a slow board.

Anyway, I also read the bell jar, thought it was either pretty great or excellent.
I guess I don't feel completely taken by it, but it was a good ride and I enjoyed almost all of it.
I guess I'm not that fond of the prose (I'll probably never read her poems) but some phrases here and there are incredibly quotable imo.

oh, I also read Consider the Lobster and I'd say it was good but I liked A Supposedly Fun Thing That I'll Never Do Again more.

The Monk
The Name of the Wind
Infinite Jest

The Loiterer by Yusuf Atılgan
The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner
Against Interpretation by Susan Sontag

A hero of our time .

Grapes of Wrath
Cannery Row
Light In August

Kang's The Vegetarian
Wallace's Both Flesh and Not
Beckett's Endgame
Yoshimoto's Kitchen
Some Washington Irving
Some poetry

How was the Monk?

>the trial
>the master and margarita
>12 angry men
>Fahrenheit 451

>I bought The Bell Jar to read, OP. I hope it is good

It's probably one of the best books I've read about depression (so if you've experienced that, you'll probably love it).

>Mother Night is an underrated Vonnegut book in my opinion, but it's a little different than what he usually does.
>What did you think of it?

It was my first Vonnegut novel, and I really liked it. I loved the whole atmosphere; it was just so cozy and interesting to me. I found the protagonist very interesting (someone who is generally morally apathetic but sacrifices his life to a heroic cause anyway). I liked his relationship with his wife (the nation of 2), and with the russian guy in the nearby apartment.

I thought the story massively dropped in the last quarter or so of the book when it turned to focus on plot. That part just felt dumb to me. Like he felt like stuff had to "happen" in the story, so he added a bunch of action and plot twists. He was a newer writer back then so I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happened.

I'm reading Cat's Cradle now, and it hasn't drawn me in as much yet. It just doesn't have the same atmosphere as Mother Night for me (although the Bokonist stuff is fascinating). I'm only 50 pages in so we'll see how it goes.

>I guess I don't feel completely taken by it, but it was a good ride and I enjoyed almost all of it.

Yeah I thought that the plot in general felt undirected, but I didn't really care because I was drawn so much into Esther's head.

Too theatrical at points, you can tell Lewis was influenced by theater too much but I liked the gloomy and atmospheric setting. Really made it a nice quick post-Halloween reading.

Which M&M translation?

Spoiler, I don't remember which translation I read but I thoroughly loved me only read of master and margarita. The Pontius Pilate scenes were so fantastically well written

Cat's Cradle is more to serve a theme of desiring love at any cost, even foolish, self-destructive costs. It is my personal favorite for this - I think it is Vonnegut at his most sympathetic and human level, which is something I always admire in his stories above all else.

The Last Days of Louisiana Red by Ishmael Reed
Reflex & Bone Structure by Clarence Major
Negrophobia by Darius James
The Sellout by Paul Beatty

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao
The Stench of Honolulu - Jack Handey
Grendel - John Gardner
What We Talk About When We Talk About Love - Raymond Carver
bird by bird - Anne Lamott
Pastoralia - George Saunders

Also picked up some of Sylvia Plath's and Emily Dickinson's poetry. Fun times.

My diary, desu

None :(

I wish I had time to read more book, but lately I find myself reading more papers than books

Doktor Glas
Heart of Darkness
Aniara
Moby Dick
Storm of Steel

>under the dome
it was meh. ending is really bad and i cant help but feel the book was a waste of time.
>11/22/63
this was a bit better. some great emotion and characters.
>the gunslinger
the prose is pretentious and surprisingly i liked the ending. most of the book is absolute edgey nonsense.
the reason for all the stephen king is cause i wanted to see what the meme was about. im can say im done for a while with >stephen king

>stories of your life and others
a book of short stories. the title story is great. the others, not so much.

I'll definitely finish it then.

how was name of the wind. its in my backlog a ways but might jump up if i keep hearing good things about it.

also, you read infinite jest this month? i started back in march and still havent finished. of course ive also been putting it off for a while, coming back every other week between books but i cant imagine reading it in its entirety in a month.

Blood Meridian and Based on a True Story, currently in the process of rereading from Hell.

Pevear and Volonkhosky (I'm sure I butchered the names) either way it was a good translation. Also, it's the penguin classics edition and it includes some end notes to give some context on the references to Russian culture that bulgakov mentions

How was White Nights,OP? I'm thinking about picking it up

A Clockwork's Orange
Slaughterhouse 5
The Metamorphosis, The Great Wall of China, The Burrow, Investigations of a Dog
The Stranger
Animal Farm
The sound and the fury

I know this is all HS tier but I'm a new reader and I didn't have any contact with non-native literature throughout all of school so Im trying to catch up

jerusalem
mason & dixon
holy anorexia
lancelot holy grail cycle part 2 and 3

Bonds of the Dead
The Stranger
Brave New World
Descent of Angels
Various comics

Rest of the time was reading articles and textbooks.

I loved it.

I had midterms at school so I didn't get to read much but I've started Moby-Dick

>Doktor Glas
nice choice

Yeah that's what I had, did you also feel like the Pontious scenes were phenomenal or was that just my pleb ass?

The Stranger - Albert Cambus
Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov
The Bone Collector - Jeffery Deaver
American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis
Nick & Norahs Infinite Playlist - Rachel Cohn

Descartes: Discourse on Method and Meditations on first philosophy
Hobbes: Leviathan
Spinoza: Ethics

I was supposed to read all three of those for my A-level class. I think I did, I don't remember a word of it.

My questions are, are you 18, and what do you think of these books?

>Buddenbrooks by Mann

When did reddit take over?

Heart of a Dog by Mikhail Bulgakov
Sabriel by Garth Nix
The Conservative Mind by Russell Kirk
Innocents Aboard by Gene Wolfe
The Jack Vance Treasury by Jack Vance
The Tasks of Philosophy, Volume 1 by Alasdair MacIntyre
Whose Justice? Which Rationality? by Alasdair MacIntyre
Meditations by Marcus Aurelius

Pretty decent month, MacIntyre and Wolfe were the best. Vance is hit or miss, Kirk was a disappointment, Sabriel was generic YA, Bulgakov was super entertaining.

I dunno, but it might be time to hurry up and kill yourself before it gets worse, right?

For school
>Sir Gawain and the Green Knight
>(Selections from) The Canterbury Tales
>The Faerie Queene Book I
>Much Ado about Nothing
>King Lear
>As I Lay Dying
For Pleasure
A bunch of contemporary Atlantic Canadian poetry that won't get me any Veeky Forums cred for naming.

Name of the Wind is trash. Couldn't even finish.

All that in one month?
Damn, as a wagecuck and alcoholic, I barely have time to read.

>The Sound and the Fury
>high school tier
Get the fuck out.

no time for insecure losers like you

I only read Snow Country, or 雪国.

Apparently it's considered a bit of a Japanese classic, at least that's what the back-cover said. It was interesting to read something completely different. It wasn't particularly profound or anything, but it was short and different, and kind of refreshing because of that.

Finished "the hundred year old man who climbed out of the window and disappeared" by Jonas Jonasson. Entretaining, charming and funny.

you should read Schoolgirl by Dazai, it's like 80 pages.

Parerga and Paralipomena
Notes From Underground
The Ego and It's Own

actually i read the dragontails it was ok at best

Hi, redditor. Did I strike a nerve talking about your home sweet home?

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I've read No Longer Human, but nothing else by Dazai. Seems like a good as time as any to go through his work.

Flann O'Brian - Dakley Archives
Flann O'Brian - Poor Mouth
Jack London - Call of the Wild
Nikolai Gogol - Dead Souls
Kingsley Amis - I Want It Now

I actually started towards the end of September. I was putting it off so long considering I was moving about Europe before settling in back home in the UK because I was driving back, nice to see you're taking your time with it and I wouldn't say it is a race to finish. For IJ I was reading about 200 or so pages a week, putting it down to take a break every now and then.

Name of the Wind was okay, not great like it is hyped up to be but not entirely bad. Only things I really hated was how boring some of the university sections were and how boring Kvothe's love interest Diane was. There's a couple loose ends here and there but I really liked how Rothfuss painted a nice, homely and inviting world. Everything about it seemed cozy.

Gardens of the Moon and Memories of Ice

Skipped Deadhouse Gates because i was more interested in Paran and co's storylines but the hints dropped in Memories make it sound pretty interesting so ill pick that up next, sounds kind of torturous to delay moving the story forward but i hope it's worth it.

The only one I needed

Pride and Prejudice
Don Quixote, both parts

Did you find As I Lay Dying as funny as I did?

I enjoyed it very much desu

Not him, but I found it quite funny.

what the fuck are you me? Read those exact same books

Smith was funny, I enjoyed it. Rilke is great for loneliness. Roland was for uni, decent epic poetry.

The first three are all short. Moby Dick took me 2 weeks, Storm of Steels 3 days.

What did you think of the Ishmael Reed book? I've been considering picking up something by him

Finished Infinite Jest

then I started a bunch of stuff -JR, 100 Years of Solitude, Heart of Darkness, Broom of the System

About to read this for AP Veeky Forums

What am I in for?

>Raymond Carver - Cathedral
>J. G. Ballard - Vermilion Sands
>Emma Jane Kirby - The Optician of Lampedusa
which isn't that much, but i've also been slowly making my way through Mason & Dixon as well

prepare for harrowing corncob chronicles, he's great though

the 5 short story books carver made

Will You Please Be Quiet, Please?
What We Talk About When We Talk About Love
Cathedral
Elephant
Call if you Need Me

none. ive been reading like 12 books simultaneously for two months.