Kindle

is it worth it to get one? How easy is it to pirate e-books? I was planning on either getting the cheapest one or the Kindle Paperwhite. Is the paperwhite worth it? I don't have a lot of money to spend on it.

Or should I go with another e-reader (something like a Kobo)?

I have the base model kindle and its great, but I prefer paper books. Most books have a mobi version out there and you covert epubs to mobi, so piracy is pretty easy. Don't be memed into buying an expensive e-reader.

I've been researching the fuck out of this for the past couple of days and decided not to get an ereader.

In terms of pirating ebooks, it's easy as fuck. Hell, it's in Veeky Forums's sticky.

In terms of presentation and other small things, ereaders are better than tablets/phones. However, if you have a moderate-to-large size phone, you'll have more capability and significantly more mobility than with an ereader (because most people *always* have their phones with them when they're out and about).

e-Ink does seem nice, but having to deal with low processing speed, low storage, no color, limited networking, etc. makes a decent phone a better alternative. My Nexus 6 + MoonReader app + bookzz, et al., is a simple setup.

Well, my new phone is arriving tomorrow (a Nexus 5x, I'm a poorfag). I'll see if it works well enough to read.

After jailbreaking and installing KORreader, it's great. It gets easier to read PDF books, and allows to open .epub and .djvu.

Did you pirate Moon+ reader?
Not that it's a bad thing, just wondering where you got the apk from.

Is there phone app that functions similarly to google play music in that I can have all my books stored on my home computer (and subsequentially stored on googles cloud) and I can just access them on my phone? Don't feel like using up a ton of space for books, nor having to connect my phone to my computer each time I want a different one.

Dropbox. Or you could use kindles sync thing.

e ink is vastly superior, no reflection from the sun, literally weeks of battery time and the fact that you dont use them for anything else but reading, barring other distractions, make ebooks very superior for reading.

i get it because the meme e-ink thing story... But considering that i sometimes already pass more than 8 hours in front the pc screen i probably gonna just buy a good phone...

Totally worth it. I was reminded of this recently because I had to move and carry a bag full of books to the train station.

Just buy the cheapest one. Shove it in your jacket's pocket.

I bought one and I dont use it. Will probably sell it. There's something healing about the act of reading a physical book. If that's not the case for you though, kindles are amazing and will save you a lot of money.

>It gets easier to read PDF books
it's still not that great for reading pdfs, imo a tablet would be better for that

>There's something healing about the act of reading a physical book

No there isnt.

I just like it. It's nice to get away from a screen. d-desu

Its worth it if you read 3-4 books on it

They're like 30 used on ebay or wait until black friday and get one for 40

There is no reason to not get one, unless you are a die hard fanatic of physical copies

>free books/easy piracy
>can download and read books instantly
>can store thousands of books on one device
>save a load of money if you go the piracy route, with the ereader costing the price of a few books

The only problem with them is the occasionally formatting issues, but now that ereaders have been out for a while and gaining in popularity that shit is being sorted out mostly. They're also very useful for end notes, instead of flicking back and forth, just click a hyperlink. Super convenient. Certainly makes infinite jest less of a chore (although this was stated as an intentional choice by Wallace, so maybe you are losing something there, but who knows?)

Some obscure books you will find hard to get in a good ereader format as well, but that's the thing, you can always get a physical book if you want/have to.

Really no reason not to own an ereader considering how dirt cheap they are.

Formatting isn't even that big of an issue, you can use Calibre to freely convert between file types and it's pretty damn good at it. The only issue I've ever had has been with cookbooks.

In short, if you read a lot of books then it essentially pays itself off, not that it's expensive to begin with.

Yes
Extremely
Yes
No

>doesn't actually own an ereader
>has not used an ereader for any period of time that would make his opinion of them worth anyone's time.

Back to /v/, they have loads of the 'console wars' you like over there.

E-ink is so so much better than a phone screen, i cant stress it enough - I don't care what you've read on 'tech-radar' or whatever the fuck. If you disagree, you most likely haven't actually used one for a long period of time.

The storage meme is so dumb I'm not going to go into it, just kill the meme already. As for the rest of your post;

>colour
>processing(lol what the actual fuck)
>networking

You could literally cross your post over onto /v/ and swap "e reader" for "hand-held console" and it would make so much more sense than on here.

I can understand people who dislike ereaders. The idea that people prefer physical books over them makes perfect sense. But arguing for using a greasy surfaced, shiny as shit, back-lit, distraction ridden, bloat ware packing, battery-dead-in-a-day phone instead of a dedicated ereader is just plain retarded.

>something healing about the act of reading a physical book

And that new book smellll omg, dont we all just love it!
That feel of a tactile book!
Post your stacks everyone :)

kys

Fuck off autistic swine

ipt

do you want me to upload it for you?

This pretty much.

I wouldn´t read s much if i din´t pirate the books. They are fucking expensive

Get a kobo glo hd DESU

way more customizable and runs on open standards, so piracy is easier

This. I bought one of the old keyboard models when they were blowing them out to introduce new models (I think I paid 50 bucks for it). I've used it for 4 or 5 years pretty consistently, and I've read hundreds of books on it without paying for them. It's also very portable, and much easier to read than a phone or tablet screen because there's no backlighing to fuck with your eyes.

It's probably one of the best purchases I've ever made.

Honestly I got one a month ago and i've enjoyed it, the kindles have a great battery life that let's you read for 60+ hours, it's also easier for me to get the books that I want and in the languages I want, so yea it's worth it, I'm using the Kindle Paperwhite.

HIGHLY recommend the paperwhite simpky because of the backlight.

Totally changes the game, makes reading before bed a delight because you can read while the lights are off.

The portability is amazing--it literally fits in your backpocket. But also its so light and small that you can read one handed in all sorts of crazy positions. No bookmarks, easy piracy, its great.

Also, and this is more a spiritual thing, I find that by sublimating my compulsion to be on my phone into a compulsion to read on my kindle, that was good for my well being.

That's Ed I don't like reading novels on it. I stick to nonfiction.

Does anyone here use any android apps? I'm looking for an app where I can change background color + text color.

Dude, how big are your backpockets?

Moon+ Reader does this.

is right -- most of your concerns aren't concerning. Colour is useless, processing has no effect, and the screen benefit over a good phone is mind-boggling.

It's completely different. It's better than a normal book.

BUILT IN DICTIONARY

What about Kobo? I'm considering getting the Aura.

>is it worth it to get one?
Yes.

> How easy is it to pirate e-books?
Very. Lern2Calibre.