What's the deal with putting cheese slices on pie?

what's the deal with putting cheese slices on pie?
is it actually good or what?

Other urls found in this thread:

foodtimeline.org/foodpies.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

it is legit my dude

i strongly expect that thats a butterscotch or butter cream of some sort

I don't know what you heard, but I'm in the most redneck, poor, white trash shit town you can find in America and this never happened.

There is also a rebel flag flying with a USA flag on a pole right across the street, for reference.

On savory pies, maybe. On dessert pies? Never.

I did too, but that's cheese dude, look closer.

Suspect, not expect, and no there are people who put cheese on pie.

no dude it's sharp cheddar, it's fucking good, it seems counterintuitive but it's good as fuck

im looking at julian pie fare right now and it seems to be common for them to top it with caramel sauces. yes the sauce in the picture is especially light, but its definitely a sauce

suspect does not replace or correct expect in that context at all. suspect was you expected

That doesn't look like cheese. There's a translucent quality and it looks full of crystalline structures that are likely sugar.

nevermind, literally looking at a photo that says they have melted cheese on the top

rip

Nm, it's cheddar. Wtf.

If you google "cheese on apple pie" you will see it's quite normal.

I don't know what that is, but it sure as hell ain't normal.

>Julian Pies

Everyone who actually visits Julian goes to Mom's Pies etc. on the main boulevard while Julian Pies get distributed to stores in surrounding counties.

I can kind of see what they might be going for, when I went to France some distant relatives introduced me to the idea of drizzling honey over strong cheese, e.g. sharp cheddar or roquefort, on bread and now I can't stop. Still, who the fuck puts cheese on their pie?

Don't do this, it blows up your microwave

Suprisingly enough yeah. You generally don't let it melt like in the OP's pic, but a slice of super sharp cheddar with a good apple pie (preferably if it's got a lot of cinnamon and good apples) combines really really well. It sounds fucking crazy but it works.

YAMEROOOOOO

That's not cheese its honey butter.

Honey butter doesn't sweat.

its a flyover thing. They have so much dairy land they dump cheese on everything

It's butterfat/dairy, and a little aged funk. A really luscious colby does work inside a top crust on on an apple pie. A nice apple pie is sweet-sour, made with some tarter apples, so it's not cloyingly sweet, but some cheddar in the crust can add some balance similarly, taking the pie a bit further from dessert status. There are little niche people and families who do this, obviously it adds a little cost, but it's not really a restaurant thing that I've seen in my travels. It is mentioned in Shirley Corrihor's Cookwise cookbook (she was an early food historian guest in Good Eats), but it's actually a long time, like centuries old, way to SERVE a pie together with cheese post meal.
foodtimeline.org/foodpies.html

It's just as well to make a pie that has a godly crust made with real butter, and cooked well enough to be toasty and nutty. Put a scoop of ice cream on the side if you want creaminess. Serve with cheese and you bring in a little saltiness and a different kind of creaminess. I think the wine pairing goes up a bit :)