What does Veeky Forums think of copper stone pans? Worth the money, or just a gimmick?

What does Veeky Forums think of copper stone pans? Worth the money, or just a gimmick?

I have no idea what the fuck that is, but every 2 or 3 years some huckster "invents" a new "copper-THING" pan where THING is some random garbage that isn't copper and we're supposed to think it's just as good as copper but at 1/20th the price (as seen on TV)

if you want copper, falk, bourgeat, soy turkiye, duparquet, and to some extent mauviel (if you're careful) make good quality copper pans

If you don't have the funds for that, there are many better options than some junk with 'copper' in the name, this is as shady as the 'jamaica style blue mountain brand coffee' that tries to hoodwink innocent consumers

Aluminum is an excellent material, for instance

Pros: Parts that are made of copper
Cons: Parts that aren't made of copper

You can tell the quality of copper cookware by estimating what percent of the total product is copper, and then imagining how hard an asian stepmother would beat her kids if they brought that percentage home on a test.

I become suspicious, confused, and mildly irritable when I read funny, good, useful content anywhere on Veeky Forums. Please desist.

What's wrong with Mauviel? Never held one before. Are some of their lines okay and the other ones just cheap trash with their name on it?

>wood handles

at some point they figured out that 90% of their sales were aspirational purchases that ended up as decoration

they then introduced a lot of thin flimsy copper that is now all you can find in most retailers

they still make the good stuff but it's rare

What's the benefit of cooking oncopper? I thought they were decorative pieces.

>liking it when heat transfers from the pan to the memetal handle to your hand

you rock, I'm @ home stick..its a dead slow night at the hotel.. but damn you made me fallo fhte couch laughing! you rock!

>liking it when you can't put your pan in the oven

This is a cooking board.

Copper is an excellent heat conductor with a comparatively low heat capacity. It's great for making very temperature sensitive things like sauces. At the same time, it's quite poor at searing because it has such a low heat capacity.

Thanks. I'll probably just avoid them altogether then.

It's really just stone but stoneware is great

Copper has extremely high heat conductivity, so it heats up quickly, cools down quickly, heats the whole piece evenly, and will adjust to changing your temperature quickly.

The downside is that middle aged women who can't cook for shit and don't know how to take care of their cooking equipment treat them like iron pans; they turn the heat up too high to 'get it heated up quicker' and end up burning their onions after 15 seconds, or they bend the whole fucking thing by dropping it or putting it on the bottom of a drawer full of teflon pans.

As some here have mentioned, it has high conductivity which makes for much more even heating. If you have a stove with a small burner ring, this is the best way to get high performing cookware. A few good quality copper pans is much cheaper than a new stove. If you do have larger burners (or at least several different size burners) it's less critical and you can go with aluminum for the same purpose, although what most people fail to realize is that it takes very thick aluminum to approach the performance of a 2-2.5mm copper pan, and most aluminum pans on the market are nowhere near the level of thickness to compete. The ones that are, actually are not really any cheaper than a good copper pan. Take for instance the Demeyere Proline series which is probably the best aluminum pan on the market. $270 for a 27 cm skillet, vs a Falk 28cm copper pan which is $275. What people are erroneously comparing is something like an All Clad Stainless pan which is legitimately cheaper but also nowhere near as good.

Some people around here only cook steaks and hamburgers and think that conductivity is pointless, so you will usually hear a lot of elaborate justifications for why muh cast iron is totally better than copper.

It's different tools for different purposes. Source: I have almost every kind of cookware and I use the right tool for the job.

Okay, so in real cooking applications, what would make a full copper pan better than a steel one with an insert?

/debate

My copper pans are my go-to choice on duck breasts, scrambled eggs, and caramelizing shallots in butter (as for ethiopian food). Please note what most people call "caramelizing" is not really caramelizing, and would more properly be called "sweating". Proper caramelizing takes quite a while and involves a lot of stirring and very low heat.

Don't get me wrong I am in no way saying it's necessary, this is like upgrading from a Tojiro to a Masamoto, diminishing returns have already been hit, it's more about the pleasure of a nice tool.

>buying meme pans

lmoa

I know how to caramelize, thank you very much.

I can see the point to eggs, if you want to be really finicky. But as long as you're actually watching what's going on I'm sure there is a marginal difference compared to a normal pan. If you wanted to drop the heat you're using quickly it might be a benefit, but the residual heat in the pan is a good thing in most situations. But with that being said, I know my cast iron dutch oven will retain a lot of heat. Like, so much that you can burn the bottom of your pot when going from a boil/saute heat to as low as a stove will go.

>I know how to caramelize, thank you very much.
Maybe you do, maybe you don't. But it seems like a major criticism around here for why pan type X is bad is "someone might not know how to cook", which, surely, we can agree says more about the critic than the pan

>I know my cast iron dutch oven will retain a lot of heat. Like, so much that you can burn the bottom of your pot when going from a boil/saute heat to as low as a stove will go.
I would never suggest copper as a material for a dutch oven, that's not what dutch ovens are for. That being said, many dutch ovens are used for stove-to-oven applications (as when you might use it to sear meat, make mirepoix, and then throw in the rest for a stew). In such applications, aluminum is better than cast iron.

I am not a huge fan of the argument that cast iron should be used for everything. It's alright, but its main benefit is cost. People often sing the praises of their fancy enameled iron dutch oven (I have one), but aside from good looks they don't have much going for them.

>Aluminum is an excellent material, for instance
If you want to give yourself alzheimers

Mid tier bait

>I have no idea what the fuck that is, but...

as a stupid American, I will now rant because muh rights... .

30 RMB has been deposited into your copper stone pans account