Why are math professors horrible?

Graduate student Harriet Hungate took Kaczynski’s topology class. He impressed her.

“He was this young guy, tall and good looking, and had all the outward manifestations of someone who would be very sociable,” she said.

Hungate needed someone to talk to. She was in crisis, thinking of dropping out, “hanging in there by the skin of my teeth.”

She went to Kaczynski’s office for a conference. She asked questions about the course, but then her emotions took over. She spilled out her fears and doubts, looking to her professor for warmth and reassurance.

His response chilled her. Kaczynski didn’t acknowledge she had spoken.

“There was no reaction at all,” Hungate said. “Usually there’s a person in there who responds to what is said, but I looked in his eyes, and I saw no person there.”

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Unabomber_targets
nationalreview.com/corner/140222/unexpected-encounter-john-derbyshire
homepages.rpi.edu/~bulloj/tjk/tjk.html
arxiv.org/pdf/math/0511366.pdf
zariski.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/2689056.pdf
amazon.com/Anti-Tech-Revolution-Theodore-John-Kaczynski/dp/1944228004
arxiv.org/pdf/math/0511366.pdf.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-left_anarchy
m.youtube.com/watch?v=hBW4S9xcTOk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I had this Russian math prof in 2nd year who was so fine. I haven't deleted her email yet because I am a creep.

>Bitch comes to you talking about academics
>She suddenly goes bat shit insane and talks about her personal life and how miserable it is

Implying women aren't the crazy ones

I'd be speechless too, he isn't paid for that shit.

>Bitch wants to use professor as emotional tampon
>He does not oblige her
>Gets triggered
>Writes about it like a cunt

Wew lad

i wonder if Kaczynski ever thought back to that moment while making those bombs

"Fucking lefties," he'd chuckle, trying to not be distracted by the topology of the detonator circuit

Who were Ted's victims anyway?
Academic liberals?
Admissions?
Any university staff?

There was that one crazy smart Jewish guy, Gelernter (?), who got his arm blown off; and now lefties use him as an example of an "ignorant bigot" in academia.

I think he killed a few postal workers too.

I'd be interested in knowing if his sentence of 24/7 complete isolation scales based on number of kills or dollars, because he didn't actually DO much damage and he's being punished pretty fucking harshly, but he cost the Feds a fuckton.

mailmen

he's an idiot

He writes books, writes letters and reads. He published a new book recently.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Unabomber_targets

The list includes:

>American Airlines Flight 444
>Diogenes Angelakos
>Charles Epstein (geneticist)
>Patrick C. Fischer
>David Gelernter
>James V. McConnell
>Thomas Mosser (Unabomber victim)
>Hugh Scrutton

kaczynski was a leftist you fucking retard

>"kaczynski was a leftist you fucking retard"
must have been real fucking self-hating in his manifesto then, jizzbait

How did you come to this conclusion at all?

By not reading his book

did you read his manifesto, or did you read what wikipedia said his manifesto is?

kaczynski was an anarcho-primitivist, and he criticized heavily neo-liberalism. the only reason the media and wikipedia use the word "leftist" is because you're uneducated americans so deep into liberal ideology that you think liberalism is left-wing politics

read a fucking book or two outside your field

To avoid this, a movement that exalts nature and opposes
technology must take a resolutely anti-leftist stance and must avoid
all collaboration with leftists. Leftism is in the long run
inconsistent with wild nature, with human freedom and with the
elimination of modern technology. Leftism is collectivist; it seeks to
bind together the entire world (both nature and the human race) into a
unified whole. But this implies management of nature and of human life
by organized society, and it requires advanced technology. You can't
have a united world without rapid transportation and communication,
you can't make all people love one another without sophisticated
psychological techniques, you can't have a "planned society" without
the necessary technological base. Above all, leftism is driven by the
need for power, and the leftist seeks power on a collective basis,
through identification with a mass movement or an organization.
Leftism is unlikely ever to give up technology, because technology is
too valuable a source of collective power.

Pretty sure that's a critique of leftism. He's obviously against liberalism as well.

My Calc 3 professor was an ex Romanian Artillery Officer turned electrical engineer turned Cowboy (caused he moved to the states). Really cool guy actually and a much better improvement than the Chinese math professor I had before him.

BTFO. I haven't read his manifesto but just started it. He's a pretty shit writer desu, gave up.

he sure sounds like he's lost it

Everyone who is not a leftist sounds like they've lost it.

Ever heard a non-communist speak ever? They sound like retards. Like, read a fucking book about classism.

>dumb slut failing math tries to pull the damsel in distress routine with her young prof (who she thinks is good looking) and gets shut down

Some people say that Kaczynski was fucked up from his childhood or from those psychological experiments they did on him in college, but I know the truth. He bombed those people because this dumb brainlet cunt crying in his office took the last shred of his faith in humanity.

Only brainlets have emotions. Humans are just meaningless biomass to me. If one was being tortured and killed right infront of me, I wouldn't care.

wow dude, pretty cool, say have you taken your learners permit exam yet? I'm scared to have to do a 3 point turn xDDD

This I get these bitches in my office all the time. You're a fucking idiot if you don't tell them to piss off.

i am now taking an algebra course with a fields medalist prof. and he is easily the worst lecturer ive had so far. nice guy though.

Is the story really supposed to illustrate something peculiar about Teddy? There are a lot of people who would basically react the same way. All this seems to say is that the dumb bint projected a personality on him based on his appearance and was shocked to find it was all in her head.

>tall
>he is 5'9

>projected a personality on him based on his appearance and was shocked to find it was all in her head
this, she can screw off

Kaczynski is a direct threat to the State because he has successfully killed cells of the State (academics, useful/practical intellectuals) and famously presented a rhetorically compelling, contrarian (read: not conventionally communist/leftist/etc) argument for disrupting the State, which appeals directly to old American ideas of tradition, independence, etc, which are now hazardous to the interests of the contemporary State, and its future goals (the general furtherance of technology so as to multiply the possibilities of Power). He has also cost the State a large amount of treasure and embarassement for his capture, and so the State has every interest in maximally punishing him. Funnily, the rule of law prevails (and is still permitted to prevail) to the point that Kaczynski is to an extent permitted to continue to disseminate his thought.

Despite a low body count, Kaczynski is a highly intelligent threat to the State. That is the reason why every single one of us posting in this thread are on at least a basic-level watch-list as an immediate result.

Really made me think

Yeah, I wasn't scared. In fact, when buses drive close to me on the footpath, I just stand there and don't give a fuck. Otherwise step backwards but I don't care. I am too intelligent for primitive emotions such as fear or empathy.

>>/r9k/

It just means he's not an "F" type.
It's inappropriate for people to divulge sensitive information of their lives to others. He didn't do anything wrong, and he likely had something better to do.

>Tfw posting in an FBI thread

What if Gifted and Talented classes are created to observe potential future masterminds?

>
Kaczynski is a direct threat to the State because he has successfully killed cells of the State (postmen)

He handled this the right way. Office hours are not your personal therapy session. If anything she should retake that class because she obviously failed to grasp the concept of boundaries .

>technology sux0rz
>leftists have goals that depend on technology
>therefore an anti leftist stance is necessary to fight technology

This doesn't mean that he was conservative or right. It's likely he would have equally taken an anti-right stance if he believed it required technology as the modern right does. To put it another way, if you approached him with an anti left agenda that required power and technology (e.g. NSA data mining/spying programs) then he would tell you to kill yourself too before mailing you a bomb.

he should have bombed her right then and there

>he's anti-leftist
>"that doesn't mean he's not a leftist!"

same, linear algebra. She was so fucking cute. There are quite a few Russians in my dept, not enough qts tho

He's anti-technology and anti-power he believed an anti-left stance was just a means to an end. There is nothing stopping him from being anti-right too.

In the end he's anarcho-primitivist and that is classically a leftist ideology. His anti-leftist stance was a reaction to leading leftist ideologies combined with his belief that technology and power were the means of leading leftist ideals. A hippy commune of anarcho-primitivist is more likely to identify as left since taking a violent reactionary stance is fairly uncommon.

if you'd actually read his manifesto you would know he shit on leftists explicitly

>neo-liberalism.
only leftist use this word and they cannot even tell what is behind it

Kaczynski math-compiling-fag here,

I wish to state for the record that this thread has finally led me to fully investigate the context of a humorous footnote, made in some other paper. I had been wondering about it for a while.

-an image (pic related) has floated around the internet, and apparently now that I look is on the hated Reddit, a subject of discussion there. The point of the image is that someone is actually citing Kaczynski's work and is drily minimizing/calling attention to his other work.

-googling the right phrases with the key FOOTNOTE returns a blurb at now-irrelevant (blessedly, thanks to Trump's win) conservative magazine National Review. Political commentator and popsci math book author (but really, they're pretty good) John Derbyshire used to be a regular contributor there, until he was forced out due to having written a sensible yet politically incorrect piece of advice.

nationalreview.com/corner/140222/unexpected-encounter-john-derbyshire

So there turn out to be two associated papers: the thing citing Kaczynski, and Kaczynski's older paper (note) itself. The big important point about this older Kaczynski paper is that it is NOT mentioned at the popular Kaczynski mathematical bibliography, which is HERE

homepages.rpi.edu/~bulloj/tjk/tjk.html

The point being that there are other professional publications due to Kaczynski which I was previously unaware of! Moreover, it looks like my old college library has the stuff on physical file (there are kike paywalls / uniwalls associated with the online content), so I see a field trip coming up: get this other work of Kaczynski.

The paper CITING Kaczynski, source of the minor meme, is here:

arxiv.org/pdf/math/0511366.pdf

And Kaczynski's source text (begins) here (whoops, I found it straight-up, I still wanna see the library-field-trip version though):

zariski.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/2689056.pdf

good lord, this is insane

he might have been the world's greatest analyst

too bad he took the easy way to fame

she was expecting captain save-a-ho

Is he, dare I say it /ourguy/?

Thanks user. I fucking love this place.

Okay, this guy is definitively /ourguy/.

lmfao

>student makes a neck-snapping track jump from a discussion about academics to a full-blown emotional break down
>calls the professor inhuman when he doesnt respond to how fucking crazy she is

I don't know who to trust.

>from those psychological experiments they did on him in college
tell me more

>did you read his manifesto
did you?
the exact term "leftists" appears god knows how many times, and he is very critical of them

For someone who cares so little for human beings, you certainly care a whole lot about trying to impress them.

dont now why you guys like to masturbate over this guy

no, i think we're being monitored for an entirely different reason

>>>r/the_donald

fucking retard i swear.

Are you familiar with:
amazon.com/Anti-Tech-Revolution-Theodore-John-Kaczynski/dp/1944228004

Also, for some reason people continuously cite the rpi site as if it is a source of truth on his publications when it isn't. You may be interested in reading a recent publication that details his encryption scheme.

Believe a FBI cryptanalyst wrote it, but you could check. Interesting read.

Yahoo has or had hosted a crap ton of his letters. You posted one from an earlier thread that had them in there.

I don't agree with his actions, but I am interested in what made him make such a dramatic shift from a promising math career to such a darker side.

I don't know where to find the article but basically one read says he approached a math professor at northwestern and came off as an intelligent, but blue collar guy. He had no idea he was talking to a PhD mathematician that once taught at a more prestigious school than he did.

Strange character he is.

I meant to say this is after he quit Berekely. He went to some math professor to talk about his crazy ideas on technology and that math professor had no clue ted had a PhD in math or had just quit a more prestigious job the professor he visited even had, The math prof assumed Ted was some blue collar guy.

But yeah I am very much against him murdering people. Completely against his actions.

In one letter he says he never understood why mathematicians waste their time with math, he saw it as useless or something. He basically threw away his talent.

appreciate, I know he's written other political stuff but for the moment my interest is to compile his math. I welcome links about the yahoo stuff.

My reliance upon the rpi site as a starting point is for no other reason than that it is (effectively) number one in the pertinent google/internet search rankings.

I think you know perfectly well why the RPI site gets listed, though exactly what you mean in your second and third paragraphs is suspect, and you should expand on it. I assume you are implying that the page was written by a former FBI cryptanalyst, but cursory checking of the rest of the site suggests that the author is instead a sort of (civil?) engineer/textbook author.

Your second paragraph is the most important one, as it contains both the most blatant falsehood, and also contains a cryptic (heh) suggestion that I don't put much credence in. It goes like this: first, your claim that the page isn't a "source of truth" on Kaczynski's mathematical publications is objectively and demonstrably false. I have very thorougly documented this in previous threads, and I have personally visited physical print library stacks containing, sure enough, the little articles by "T.J. Kaczynski", whether at Evergreen Park IL or otherwise (his personal migrations during the sixties, which are also documented). I have tracked down every single piece from the bibliography (short the dissertation), whether in a physical stack, or online at a source that makes total sense, and gives credible provenance to the same bibliography (midwestern universities, minor/major American math journals).

Your dangling in the end of the the second paragraph is the tasty bit. "Whose" encryption scheme? K's, the web page author's? Placing this suggestion next to the bit about "derp that site is totally wrong" (it isn't) makes it sound as though there is some "secret knowledge" somewhere. I invite you to explain what that is, but for reasons I've explained, I'm dubious.

I'm not sure what you are ranting about. But my point was I saw a publication not listed on the rpi site, namely the one you posted: arxiv.org/pdf/math/0511366.pdf. My claim was it is not comprehensive in listing EVERY mathematical publication of his. Just curious, are you a math major, or just really autistic over him?

What else are you ranting about?

A cryptanalyst wrote about Ted's encryption schemes. You can read it, "Kaczynski's Ciphers". Probably can access as a Michigan student behind the publication memewall. If I understand you correctly this paper is NOT suspect. It is a legit analysis of his encryption scheme by a cryptanalyst, His encryption scheme is highly impractical in terms of key exchange and real-life usage. He intended it to be used by no one and thus didn't have to worry about issues like key exchange. But it looks secure and would have been very difficult to crack if not for him having his keys nearby.

>She went to Kaczynski’s office for a conference. She asked questions about the course, but then her emotions took over. She spilled out her fears and doubts, looking to her professor for warmth and reassurance.
I unironically hate women.

If she just blew him, people would have been saved

teddy boy was an antisocial autist and once in a lifetime genius who loved nature and hated modern life and dreamed of living in the Forrest.
If you actually read his manifesto it roast the fuck out of liberals

There are two types of men in politics, men of letters and men of action.
Karl marx was a man of letters, Stalin was a man of action.

>liberal arts btfo
>non stem fags on Sudoku watch

>He attended high school at Evergreen Park Community High School. Kaczynski excelled academically, but found the mathematics too simple during his second year. Sometimes he would cut classes and write in his journal in his room. During this period of his life, Kaczynski became obsessed with mathematics, spending prolonged hours locked in his room practicing differential equations. Throughout secondary schooling, Kaczynski had far surpassed his classmates, able to solve advanced Laplace transforms before his senior year. He was subsequently placed in a more advanced mathematics class, yet still felt intellectually restricted. Kaczynski soon mastered the material and skipped the eleventh grade. With the help of a summer school course for English, he completed his high school education when he was 15 years old. He was encouraged to apply to Harvard University, and was subsequently accepted as a student beginning in 1958 at the age of 16. While at Harvard, Kaczynski was taught by famed logician Willard Van Orman Quine, scoring at the top of Quine's class with a 98.9% final grade
Brainlets, leave

>Kaczynski graduated from Harvard University in 1962, at age 20, and subsequently enrolled at the University of Michigan, where he earned a PhD in mathematics.[16] Kaczynski's specialty was a branch of complex analysis known as geometric function theory. His professors at Michigan were impressed with his intellect and drive. "He was an unusual person. He was not like the other graduate students," said Peter Duren, one of Kaczynski's math professors at Michigan. "He was much more focused about his work. He had a drive to discover mathematical truth." "It is not enough to say he was smart," said George Piranian, another of his Michigan math professors.[20] Kaczynski earned his PhD with his thesis entitled "Boundary Functions"[21] by solving a problem so difficult that even Piranian could not solve it.[20] Maxwell Reade, a retired math professor who served on Kaczynski's dissertation committee, also commented on his thesis by noting, "I would guess that maybe 10 or 12 men in the country understood or appreciated it."

>tip fedora

I read his manifesto. It's fucking nothing.

inb4 fbi shill

>advanced laplace transforms

topzozzle

>Americans think differential equations and integrals is hard

>She asked questions about the course, but then her emotions took over. She spilled out her fears and doubts, looking to her professor for warmth and reassurance.
>His response chilled her. Kaczynski didn’t acknowledge she had spoken.
absolutely based. roastie btfo.

truly /ourguy/

he was doing it while he was fucking 12 years old

It's pretty clear that he's anti-globalism and for small, limited government. That would make him an American conservative in the truest sense.

again
>he thinks this is hard

Jacob Barnett could do that but I don't see you raving about him

There is actually this weird strain of anarchism called post left anarchism.
ted's, whole thing was basically "Reeee leftists are normies"

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-left_anarchy

Also if you read about the Spanish civil war, anarchists and communists arent exactly best of friends

Gifted and talented programs don't segregate nearly enough for that.

Difference is Ted was a legitimate child prodgidiy.

You're right. There is a difference between "gifted" students in the 115-120 range and people like ted in the 160+ range. Ted was brilliant among his professors as a graduate students. That kind of intelligence is exceptionally rare and there is no wonder ted couldn't relate to anyone in his peer group.

>Jacobian Barnett, the envy of Veeky Forums, isn't a child prodigy

Ted is undoubtly the real deal. Jacob strikes me as much less gifted.

People envy this?

m.youtube.com/watch?v=hBW4S9xcTOk

He was probably dumbfounded by the fact that students were starting to use him like a psychiatrist.

Ted actually seems like an actual genius in every sense of the word and not one of those child prod fags that gets paraded around on tv by their parents and is never heard from again.
And of course, the real genius turns out to be an anti social autist who cant even relate to other "smart" people and turns into a terrorist.

Also a little known fact is that ted was tortured in the mk ultra experiments, not even tinfoiling here, look that shit up, it happened

this

virgin detected

So much /r9k/ faggotry in this thread

Ted is undeniably brilliant though and it was kind of stupid that they tried to knock him for not being a good emotional counselor

No professor should be expected to consult a student like this

Well yes their job is to teach the material of their field. Kind of moronic that people deemed it appropriate to actually report on this incident.

go home

I have never encountered someone in any academic position that would behave like this. Its not their job to be a therapist but in a functional mind that is not a concern. Its not meant to be insulting but justifying his cold behavior as how its not his job is a product of internet age cynicism and possibly autism, in a fairly literal sense for once. You would have to be deeply troubled or selfish to not sympathize with someone in such distress, we are biologically inclined to do that.

Actually... this.

Ive seen women weep about things that are directly within their control.

People freak out in school. High stress

You need to learn how to read, retard

Didn't realize this was a Veeky Forums MRA rally.

I've seen men literally cry over spilled milk. What's your point?

It doesn't even really strike me as "odd", to be honest. It reads like a bias piece, like they were scrambling for anything to villify a Harvard educated criminal.

Everyone ITT brought up good points though. He didn't get paid to be her counselor, he was her math professor. But basic human empathy dictates that he "should've" said something in response. Lets face it though-- you don't go into math because you have insanely good people skills.

except the spanish anarchists were anarchosyndicalists, which is very much a leftist ideology.Read Orwell's Homage to Catalonia

Nice totally common anecdote, retard

desu that quote also explains a lot of people on the alt-right who are afraid of the competition posed by immigrants.

fun fact: ted kaczynski said that leftists are 'true believers in the Hofferian sense'. what does that mean? that all mass movements attract the same type of people. the people who rally behind the alt-right seek to destroy a world that they are losers in. my evidence? you're on it

Read a book about economics, brainlet