What is the most ubiquitous ingredient in worldwide cuisines...

What is the most ubiquitous ingredient in worldwide cuisines? I don't mean use by sheer volume because that'd probably be some kind of grain but I mean use in number of dishes for improvement.

For me, it's the humble onion

Salt

probably this
probably has the largest number of crybabies who refuse to eat it

water

Sugar

HFCS

MSG(mono saturated grains)

wtf does ubiquitous mean?

dead skin

having a lot of the protein ubiquitin

Love

The empty space between subatomic particles that makes up 99% of all matter.

Thats a shallot you fucking mong

>most ubiquitous ingredient
time

every recipe requires it

/thread

Cilantro, AKA coriander

shallots are not that dark. That's a red onion

Really gets the old motor firing

>probably has the largest number of crybabies who refuse to eat it

I've recently come across people who refuse to eat onion because it's bad for you and because it makes you gassy or some shit
I wonder how much of that bullshit is actually true

Garlic is probably used more than the onion

Except in America. For some reason they use fresh onions but powdered garlic.

Very true. Onions set off IBS.

...Which I giggle at, so here's to sneaking onions into EVERYTHING

99% of all matter, and 100% of the vacuum inside your skull.

And here we go again

I'm an American and I use both. I usually use garlic powder in rubs because it doesn't burn easily like fresh garlic. In any other case I use fresh garlic.

But garlic powder is still garlic sooo

He's not wrong though. Using fresh garlic is considered pretentious outside of NYC and San Francisco. And before you fly off the handle and say I've never been to the real America, I understand that you like something you call "fresh garlic". But I'm not talking about "fresh garlic powder". I'm talking about stuff that looks like pic related and is found at the farmer's market. It needs to be peeled before using, generally. And it does not taste anything like what you consider "normal garlic" or as cultured people call it, "chemicals"

What a stupid meme you can reverse that and it would be more accurate

>fresh garlic is considered pretentious outside of NYC and San Francisco

Umm no. Americans use fresh garlic all the time. I don't know where this stereotype comes from and I have never heard it until just now but it is absolutely not true.

I'm from Salt Lake City and garlic cloves only got big after the tech boom. You can tell the transplant scum because they buy that shit. That and the cuck glasses.

>Using fresh garlic is considered pretentious outside of NYC and San Francisco.
????

>powdered garlic
I had to yell at my sister for trying to use that shit

Every time I look at an American recipe online it'll include real onions but instead of fresh garlic it'll use garlic powder. It's the strangest thing, I would've thought people would either use powdered versions of both or fresh versions of both.

show me one
I've never seen this bullshit before

It's weird, I couldn't find any recipes like that but I did find tons that use both onion and garlic powder in place of the real thing. And it's literally only American recipes that do that, you'd never find that anywhere else.

the only times you should be using powdered anything is in dry rubs or making some spice combination

>some spice combination

You should have stopped typing before that. Dry rub, yes. Anything else, no.

That hasn't been the case for me, especially jumbalaya, gumbo, and other seafood recipes from the south and Florida, where I'm from. Are you looking in older cookbooks?

Yo I could get behind why people prefer it though.

I fucking hate the smell that lingers in my fingers after peeling fresh garlic. It's maddening how many days it takes to get rid of.

It means most used and spread out. Sort of like omnipresent. Its difficult to explain, a google search will probably do you much better

I was thinking about this the other day: are garlic and onion present in pretty much every cuisine on the planet because they're easy to grow/grow in shitty soil?

>garlic powder has no practical applications

This is just false. You guys are just trying to sound like fancy pantses. It's an effective way to get a lot of flavor to evenly incorporate into something.

wtf i love science now

Onion then garlic

What if you're a fast cook?

why are people confused that garlic isn't a large part of american cuisine? we use it powdered when the recipe calls for it because in every other case we don't touch the stuff.

Speak for yourself.

>guy on a fucking cooking forum is a fan of an ingredient popular in the founding countries of modern food

wew wow this surprises me.

I'm surprised at the sword swallower who apparently thinks folks in the U.S. don't use whole garlic.

Eggs, they improve everything in some way.