You won't be alive when humans reach trappist 1

>You won't be alive when humans reach trappist 1

Other urls found in this thread:

joshworth.com/dev/pixelspace/pixelspace_solarsystem.html
youtube.com/watch?v=kjxSCAalsBE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>neither will your children's children's children's children's children

with giant space lasers I can reach it in 40 years, checkmate OP

now that you've realised this, why don't you make it the purpose of your life to help as much as you can to the progress of human space travel, or decipher teleportation, or something that might get you close to changing that fate?

>Be young human
>2061
>Fall for the Trappist meme
>Say goodbye to family and qtgf
>Get onto space ship, will take us a few decades to get there with cutting edge SpaceX Falcon 900 rocket
>Put into hibernation with CRISPR-edited metabolism
>Woken up 50 years later
>Tidally locked planets
>Sweltering deserts on sun-locked side
>Frigid tundra on the dark side
>Mfw it takes 4 years to send message to Earth, another 4 years to receive
I knew we should have gone to Alpha Centauri

>implying we will ever leave this solar system
Humans are going to enter a new dark age soon, this dark age will be humanity's 'twilight'.
The beginning of this dark age will start with the upcoming resource wars in which all the major powers will do considerable damage to the world and humanity. Then western civilization will collapse, once the west falls the world will be in total chaos.
A chaos in which there will be no recovery from.
We are truly the most pitiable beings, here we are with the ability to touch the stars...but we will just end up killing each other off.
There will most likely be surviving humans for hundreds of years after the twilight, small isolated groups will form. However, they will eventually die off after bottleneck events such as climate change.
We really have set the perfect stage for our own extinction, if you think about it.

user, im 21 and lets say for argument's sake that it takes us 20 years to achieve light speed travel(or probably something short of it) so then it still takes 40-50 years to actually get there(assuming we won't encounter aliens) and i would be 81. I won't be alive when i'm 81 user

do your best to help achieve light speed faster

honestly landing on an alien planet and dying peacefully shortly after would be a GOAT death.
too bad you have to spend literally half of you life on a spaceship, that alone doesn't make it worth it.

I already spend most of my life playing games, reading, and shitposting

>4 years

You mean 40 bruh, Trappist-1 is ten times further away than the Centauri system.

Also tidally locked planets almost certainly have super-rotating atmospheres that keep both hemispheres at roughly the same temperature, preventing the sun-side from baking or the night-side from freezing.

>Veeky Forums poster
>children

Typo on the first one, you got me on the second point though

Don't work on achieving light speed travel. You wouldn't survive the G forces anyway. Work on achieving immortality.

Trappist One has three planets in the Goldilocks Zone.

Sol has three planets in the Goldilocks Zone, plus an oversized moon. And we're already here!

What will be driving climate change after civilization falls?

>We are truly the most pitiable beings, here we are with the ability to touch the stars...but we will just end up killing each other off.
This is depressing as hell. It's almost makes you wonder why even bother making scientific advancement if everyone is going to use it to kill each other and kill you before you can get to the good parts.

some studies say that by this point it's going to become a self-fulfilling loop
>I don't want to be venus

If you make it to 2045 you'll make it to Trappist.

Do people actually think we'll ever send manned vessels to these places? Probes would be the only thing that makes sense and that won't be for at least 100 years.

I'm going and you pessimistic people can fuck off if you think otherwise

Are you telling me to become a medical doctor?

Yes! People live in la-la land. They believe until they die of ignorance and the family will likely blame everyone else except, of course, themselves.

this

G force has nothing to do with your speed. It depends on acceleration.

ALRIGHT YOU FUCKING AUTIST LISTEN UP!
PAPA ITALY IS GONNA SHOW YOU HOW IT IS DONE!

YOU WANNA PLAY STAR WARS!?
WE WILL GIVE YOU STAR WARS!

REMEMBER!
WE ONLY GOT ONE SHOT AT THIS SO I WILL NEED YOU TO GET YOUR FUCKING EXPERIMENT HAT ON!

ARE YOU READY FOR THE MOST INCREDIBLE MEMES YOU HAVE EVER SEEN!?

how can I do that? I am an eastern european from Lithuania.

Travel to Tesla's home. There you shall find the clue to your answer. Begin thy noble quest faithful hero. The dawn of the western Age of Aquarius and the Eastern Fire Rooster has begun. Can you feel them warring? Making steam? The planets are shifting. The birth of a new beginning is in our hands

So I can't do anything to help
Just like my whole life

Why can you not leave?

because I am from Lithuania
Do you know anything about Lithuania?

What is the difficulty of just hopping on a train to Austria? Do they all hate you there or something?

And then what? I travel to Austria and what happens next?

You go find Tessies old documents...
It was supposed to be like...a big eye opening quest...
Sigh...

I would die out of thirst and hunger or probably would get murdered and raped by refugees

>.>

*silence*

Well fuck me right? Okay well just download some of his old texts and learn about him.

and what would I gain from that?

Damn it can't you let me be mystical and shit every once in a while D:
You would gain insight into the way of thinking that can help us.

Listen up faggots, if you want to see mankind's future so badly, fight against aging. Read up on SENS, watch Aubrey de Grey's lectures, read his book "Ending Aging". Aging is a disease and we can cure it.

Exactly. Do you realize what kind of acceleration you'd have to endure to make it so you can travel across space at the speed of light in a reasonable time frame? There'd be no point in having light speed travel if we have to spend a lifetime behind the wheel speeding up and slowing down so we don't die from the g-forces of acceleration change.

Been looking at getting into medical research specifically for curing aging related diseases. pls halp

You can hit relativistic speeds (0.77c) after traveling at 1G for less than a year. After two years on the ship at 1g. In less than two more years you would have reached 0.97c, as about four would have elapsed on, Earth and you would have covered 2.90 light years.

So rough, but not nearly as rough as you're thinking.

Humans aint leaving this rock as long as this refugees welcome bullshit continues.

>NO YOU EVIL WHITE RACIST NAZIS WHO DARE YOU LEAVE PEOPLE OF COLOR TO FEND FOR THEMSELVES FOR EARTH TAKE US WITH YOU
>WHITE PEOPLE ARE EVIL RACIST OPPRESSORS THEY NEED TO ACCEPT DIVERSITY ON OTHER PLANETS!

>implying humans will get to the moon again

Face it internationalism won and with it our regression into tribalism and despotism. Western civilization was just a fluke, an anomaly.

Now imagine what happens when you realize the ship will have to change direction multiple times in space during speed ups slow downs and main travel to avoid collisions with other objects and minimize gravitational impact of other celestial bodies.

They won't be traveling in a straight line up there.

Also I don't think anyone is going to stay seated for a whole year during speed 1G speed up. Imagine having to take a piss on the ship. Or sleeping. Or eating.

There's not much to dodge in deep space, 99% of the mileage would be a straight line.

Or maybe just sleeping, and nothing else. Sure, from your perspective the trip won't be as long, but it'll still be long enough that you probably don't want to age and work through it.

Neither of those things are a real problem in the long term.

What is a real problem, is propelling a ship at a constant 1G for that long. I mean, sure, there are theoretical ways to do it, but most involve near super structures generating unimaginable power, either directly or indirectly.

Yeah, it could be done, eventually, maybe even without applying anything too far from what is known today, but not in the lifetime of anyone here, and probably not for at least a hundred years hence, barring some as of yet unforeseen technological breakthrough.

In *deep* space. Navigating past the asteroid belt and out of the local solar system would take some time, which definitely cannot involve acceleration for light speed. Same with any points of travel involving crossing other systems and reaching the final destination. That 1% of travel involving slowing down, speeding up, changing direction and dodging stuff would be a lot longer in time than it being 1% of the total distance seems to imply. For instance if we were able to move hypothetically at 10,000 mph in space while managing to dodge stuff and navigate through systems (miraculously keeping the g forces at a low enough speed while twisting and turning such that a human wouldnt get their organs scrambled) and travel at light speed for the rest, we'd still be moving several magnitudes of speed slower than light. That translates to several more magnitudes of time a person would have to experience. E.g. if we tried to leave Sol at 100,000mph (which we wouldn't be able to navigate through the asteroid belt at desu), it would take us 9300 hours just to reach the edge before we can crank on the lightspeed boosters and deal with that nonsense. It's not feasible.

It would make more sense to try and max out at speeds our bodies can handle and just focus on preserving our bodies. Lightspeed travel isn't happening unless we do mind uploading shit and actually beam ourselves as information or something.

*10,000 mph within solar system

Aren't 9300 hours like a year or so

You know that's the special thing about science, and that is also kind of the special thing about being human. You don't research, develop new technologies, cure diseases, make theories about the universe and a thousand more remarkable achievements just for you, because you know you won't last forever, but because those who come after you.

When we as individuals understand and embrace the fact that we are part of something much bigger than ourselves, and start making things thinking not just about you, but thinking about all the human race, that's when we become the best version a human being.

Embrace yourself, user, we are going to make great things.

do something that the people on Trappist 1 will remember you for.

IMPORTANT QUESTION

If we colonize TRAPPIST-1 can we give it a decent name?

You are vastly overestimating how dense the asteroid belt is.

Bitch, we'll be lucky to make it out of this century.

thats a funny way to say "this year".

We find habitable planets all the fucking time these days. Why is everyone making Trappist-1 a big fucking deal when we can't even make it to Mars?

Lightspeed traveling isn't happening, period. You either bypass that limit through some sci-fi magic, or you just get to *relativistic* speeds some fraction of the speed of light. Infinite energy, infinite mass and all that.

But more to your point, you are severely overestimating how much crap there is to run into in the universe. Assuming you wanted to leave through the solar plane, for some damned reason, you could have an Earth sized spaceship, go in any direction at random, however fast, and have less than a fraction of a millionth of a percent chance of hitting anything but the sun or the moon.

Once you leave the solar system, there's nothing but nothing for the vast majority of that trek. You aren't crossing any other systems unless you take a detour to do so deliberately.

For visual demonstration:
joshworth.com/dev/pixelspace/pixelspace_solarsystem.html

Solid objects are few and far between in space. Unlike C3P0 says, the odds of successfully navigating an asteroid belt are practically 100%.

I'm not smart enough and the dumbfucks in DC would rather waste another trillion in the middle east than ever spend another billion on NASA.

So I'm out of options.

>several in the one system
>in red dwarf system
>>>>((you))

So what is special about trappist 1?

>atmosphere
How long do you figure that will last

>Lightspeed traveling isn't happening, period.
>Manned flight isn't happening, period.

The problem is going to be dodging stuff because we don't know where it's going to be ahead of time. We can make estimates, but if we are moving at lightspeed then that means in the direction we are moving, things are going to start moving a lot faster, including the light that hits our eyes. We only know where stuff is based on the light that bounces off of it.

We'd have to know where the goal destination is, set a course on a straight line to where we think it's going to be in the future relative to our location. Then we have to do estimates ALL ALONG THE PATH to sure nothing else might cross the path of that straight line we plan to take. I mean hell, we gotta make sure we don't pass anything resembling a dying star and we have to do some serious guesswork on the age of the star system were traveling to.
It requires us to handle gforces our bodies aren't built to handle and make predictions on whether or not the straight line is safe to travel down at lightspeed for 39.5 years.

It's not happening.

well if you have lightspeed only ~7 years would pass onboard the ship, 40 would pass for everyone else back on earth.
you can do it user!

Youtube tutorial here
youtube.com/watch?v=kjxSCAalsBE

We are extremely very good at pre calculating paths to objects in space without having to do adjustments along the way - frighteningly so, really. If there's anything engineers love to work in, it's frictionless vacuum.

And what part of "there's nothing in the way" do you not understand? You could draw lines as thick as Earth in random directions every second for centuries, and never hit anything save the moon or the sun within 10,000 light years, let alone 40.

The only time you're at all likely to have to adjust vectors is just after leaving the solar system, and just before entering the target solar system. That leaves 99.99999% of the trip without need for adjustments.

Granted, you have to adjust speed too, and that's where you get into energy problems. But, I suppose a little kugelblitz and a hydrogen scoop goes a long way.

Well, I'm thinking it's more likely we'll find a way to bypass and thus surpass it (insert meme engine of the day here), than to actually reach it through acceleration, which shouldn't be possible.

Then again, ~90% of the universe is made up of shit we've yet to detect, and yeah, we did just pick up on manned flight about a century ago, so what do we know....

Project Orion could get peeps to Trappist in a smooth 400 years ez travelling at .1 c on the shock waves of thousands of atomic blasts. Though Alpha Centari would be a quicker trip of about 50 years, if Proximal Centari turns out to be better than Mars for human habitation.

That's it then... we're not going.

choosing a planet orbiting a red star should be for last resort only since planets orbiting it would most likely be tidally locked and very dim

Though, once this solar system starts going kaput, it's a good option. That star will last a hundred billion years, while ours has 1-5Ga of usefulness left in it.

Granted, by then we'll either have colonized several systems anyways, or, more likely at this rate, be extinct.