Music?

What does lit listen to whilst reading? I find non-vocal music helps me read but I need some recommendations as I'm running dry.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6Zl5vpy__dQ
youtube.com/watch?v=5Bm9F3GFnik
youtube.com/watch?v=aVnLon8TvXk
youtube.com/watch?v=Z-dfbceq4x4
youtube.com/watch?v=pkw2kcQ5Lzs
youtu.be/OOAf79gjQyA
youtu.be/9sSb0-4oiRI
youtu.be/RapdIKWZXQ8
youtu.be/aGqa6RESvyQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Schoenberg
Satsuki Shibano
Coleman Hawkins
velvet underground (has vocals but they're not challenging and it's comfy af)
Jordi Savall's Hesperion series
Stravinsky
knxwledge
Simon Simonsson

all comfy as dick for reading

wtff how can you be running dry, there is litteraly way to much music.. like just look at some 'XXX classical works to listen be4 you die' list or like the jazz greats or something and there are hundreds of hours of great music..

>doesnt listen to takashi yoshimatsu
Reeee gtfo

Anything other than drone or ambient is wrong.

Ryuichi Sakamoto
Aphex Twin
Xiu Xiu:Plays the music of twin peaks
Ambient shit and instrumentals.Piano music is always great

I don't subvocalize, so I can listen to 2 audiobooks while I read. I have to use headphones or I find it overwhelming, one audiobook for each ear. Typically I'll listen to non fiction as less is lost in translation.

There's this app/site called 8tracks. You can either type in a book or mood or whatever you're seeking music for. I just started using it and it's not too bad. The playlists are also user generated.

Techno blends well with Dostoevsky

Try some Gordon Goodwin's big phat band it is smooth listening while reading

????

i dont listen to music when i read bc it fucks w the feeling i get from the book. music takes that over and makes me perceive whats occurring in the book differently

Techno is good for understanding the Russian soul

It depends.

I was listening to H-P1 by White Hills on repeat while I was reading the Flame Alphabet. It was pretty much perfect.

their title was taken from my favorite Haiku
but their best album is Hymn, hymn, hymn

I do not like music

Usually music that I feel connects with the story.
Penguin café orchestra for a lot of things
20's Jazz for Gatsby
Moondog for Viking sagas
Here comes the Ho-dads for Pynchon

Do you think you're cultured because you listen to "muh slightly obscure Japanese modern classical composer"? Do you think that it impresses people when you name drop a composer with a tingue of foreignness and obscurity? Do you think it makes you unique and interesting? Yoshimatsu isn't even a great composer, but I guarantee you have "chosen" to like him and to name drop him, acting like he's one of your favorite composers because of the "cool unique" identity that you get. "WHOOAAA look at THAT guy!! His favorite composer isn't Beethoven, or mozart, it's FUCKING TAKASHI YOSHIMATSU whoAAAAOA this guy is SO FUCKING WELL VERSED IN MUSIC that he knows a SUPER DUPER FOREIGN composer HOLY SHIT WHAT A FUCKING MUSICAL GENIUS." Fucking kill yourself you stupid shit.

I am right now listening to Ibrahim Maalouf

Honestly pretty much anything that doesn't have vocals. Even if it has unintelligible vocals or vocals in a language I don't understand it can be doable. Gotta love listening to Tibetan chanting while reading Buddhist scriptures.

Joy division
The smiths
*takes drag from cigarette*
Yup, I'm pretty gay

Oneohtrix Point Never - Rifts

rekt holy shit

Beethoven

Hahahaha what the fuck
You have a serious damage lad

Psychedelia, drone, BJM, stoner, baroque, baroque pop

Penguin café for writing

That's some pretty distracting music for reading any work that requires serious attention.

Manele, filmi, chalga, skiladika and idm :)

I find the opposite. In all cases I mentioned. Even the more dissonant parts of Schoenberg are all comfy.

I've never thought of matching music to the particular book/author. I usually just put some ambient stuff on like basinski or eno

Ambient music and Sci-fi is a good fit. A little obvious but really immersing sometimes.

Schoenberg = dog shit
You like dog shit?
What is wrong with you?

Shut up jesus christ

I go for New Age radio streams,and soundtracks from movies as well. Ambient and no vocals.

impossible

Bohren & Der Club Of Gore is my go to; if you like light jazz, you'll like this.

youtube.com/watch?v=6Zl5vpy__dQ

youtube.com/watch?v=5Bm9F3GFnik

youtube.com/watch?v=aVnLon8TvXk

youtube.com/watch?v=Z-dfbceq4x4

youtube.com/watch?v=pkw2kcQ5Lzs

The burgers are up early today it seems

I usually just use earplugs while reading to drown out any sound. If it gets too noisy, some SUNN O))) is enough.

On the other hand, I've found while in HS that Kraftwerk is great as background music for doing math exercises.

Faggot

My man, good stuff right there

I listen to lo-fi hip-hop

youtu.be/OOAf79gjQyA
youtu.be/9sSb0-4oiRI
youtu.be/RapdIKWZXQ8

This is also pretty good
youtu.be/aGqa6RESvyQ

I simply can't read and listen. I mostly enjoy complete silence. But since OP is asking about non vocal music:

1. Respighi my all time favourite. Truly the last of the romantics: Ancient Airs and Dances, Concerto Gregoriano, Trilogia romana...
2. Biber: Mystery Sonatas, Sonatas Tam Aris Quam Aulis Servientes, Battalia...
3. Bach, whole universe of work: everyone should start with Brandenburg Concertos, after then branch into favourite instrument. BWV is great help in that, so if you get obsessed with bwv 565, you just go from 525 - 770. I don't like his cantatas, but his Masses and Passions are sublime also.
4. Richard Strauss. Alpensinphonie.
5. Vangelis: China, Opera Sauvague, Chariots of Fire, 1493...

What did he mean by this

It's NBBMN so I listen to black metal.

Techno and tracksuit

kek'd

Anything chill, ideally looped. Usually Nujabes, or satie, chopin, chet baker or miles davis
Just not vocals and I'm fine

Harry Pussy, Violeta Parra, Leo Ornstein, J Dilla..
...not really when I'm reading though

Tortoise
Miles Davis or any cool jazz
Philip Glass

I don't listen to music while I read, but I do listen to music.

1.) Stravinsky
2.) Part
3.) MacMillan
4.) Bruckner
5.) Ockeghem

I never knew it was named from a haiku, thanks.

Anything by Do Make Say Think is great background, as well as foreground, music.

Only correct answer.

>putting Stravinsky aboce Prokofiev
I know you're just trying to be
>modern
so you can get some qt flapper girls, but please reconsider

Pls, prokofiev was a dumb stereotypical russian, it shows in the music.