I've just finished Borges's 'Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius', and it made me really think about literary collaborations...

I've just finished Borges's 'Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius', and it made me really think about literary collaborations. Was anything (obviously on a smaller scale) similar attempted IRL - a large organization of writers creating huge fictional reality? And if not, why not? What do you think about collaborative works of literature?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encyclopédie
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>a large organization of writers creating huge fictional reality
I guess MMORPGs operate in a similar fashion.

what was that guy doing writing europe-related mythological fiction while he was in fucking south america? they have nothing there?

we appreciate these people only in so far as they come close to a culture that is not theirs. that will keep them in the hole.

dude was argentinian, i.e., euroboo
if you're interested in something more authentic read Rulfo

The Aleph is his best story

Ahh..based Borges.

I used to be a huge Borges fanboy when younger, to the point of using a Borges quote as epigraph for my non-lit related Masters thesis.
Nowadays, I don't know man. It's like, it's neat. Neat ideas. Neat use of language. But now to me it feels like it lacks something. Hard to describe. Looking back I probably now have a higher opinion of the works I cared less for before. Emma Zunz an example that comes to my mind.

Warhammer is one massive collaboration.

Your'e faggots.

>But now to me it feels like it lacks something.
His stories generally lack any personalities or unique, interesting characters because they mostly focus on ideas and following concepts or theories to logical conclusions. Emma Zunz is probably one of the more character driven stories. Do you also like his Brodie's Report gaucho stories more now? They're more character based.

Yes. In general I now like more his stories where you don't know exactly what it's about. You read The Aleph, or Tlon, Uqbar...and granted the ideas are interesting but that is it really. Hombre de la esquina rosada is one of the best too

I honestly prefered The Immortal from that collection. Top three from The Aleph I'd rank:
1. The Aleph
2. Deutsches Requiem
3. Emma Zuns

not fictional, but I thought the story was inspired in this

---Encyclopédie, ou dictionnaire raisonné des sciences, des arts et des métiers (Encyclopaedia, or a Systematic Dictionary of the Sciences, Arts, and Crafts) was a general encyclopedia published in France between 1751 and 1772, with later supplements, revised editions, and translations. It had many writers, known as the Encyclopédistes. It was edited by Denis Diderot and, until 1759, co-edited by Jean le Rond d'Alembert.

The Encyclopédie is most famous for representing the thought of the Enlightenment. According to Denis Diderot in the article "Encyclopédie", the Encyclopédie's aim was "to change the way people think".[1] He and the other contributors advocated for the secularization of learning away from the Jesuits.[2] Diderot wanted to incorporate all of the world's knowledge into the Encyclopédie and hoped that the text could disseminate all this information to the public and future generations.[3] It was also the first encyclopedia to include contributions from many named contributors, and it was the first general encyclopedia to describe the mechanical arts.---

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encyclopédie

Pretty solid choice. I'd put Emma Zuns on top, though.

I also see very little mention for the one about the coin. Can't recall what it was called but loved the various references to cursed pieces of currency throughout history.

I really ought to read Ficciones

Borges always seems like wanting to show off how cultured he was, instead of delivering an actual story.

>the ideas are interesting but that is it really
I appreciate why you might feel this, however, many of the ideas and stories are jumping off points for a whole array of speculation. Tlon's instantiation of subjective idealism, and its possible Humean/Kantian objection of it is really interesting and worth considering. Menard's Quixote and the problem of indiscernibles, Funes and nominalism, non-linear time in The Garden of Forking Paths, etc. There's actually a lot to dig into if you're philosophically inclined.

What about his poetry? I ike his early ones better because they have more sentimentalism or something like that. In his later poems he just seems to reference places or literary works

>His stories generally lack any personalities or unique, interesting characters because they mostly focus on ideas and following concepts or theories to logical conclusions.
One does not have to displace another.
Library of Babel is my favourite Borges story precisely because it accoplishes both. It's 10 pages of just descriptions, yet by the end it suddenly turns into a very personal outcry of a man despairing over life having lived worshipping nonsense and clinging to impossibility. Borges certainly loved high-minded ideas, but he never allowed himself to become detached in abstractions

>t. United Statian of America

>all that Hurley
I wanna hurl.

my nigga

Doesn't Hypersphere sort of fall under that description?

he's really just philosophy presented in a more engaging way than usual, no?

>mfw hypersphere is the new Tlon

>what is "the end"
>what is "the south"
>what is "the biography of tadeo isidoro cruz"
>what is "the man from the pink corner"
why dont you shut the fuck up about tings you know nothing about?

>Was anything (obviously on a smaller scale) similar attempted IRL - a large organization of writers creating huge fictional reality?

You need to go deeper.

>Ten years ago any symmetry with a resemblance of order - dialectical materialism, anti-Semitism, Nazism - was sufficient to entrance the minds of men.

loved Deutsches Requiem too, but from The Apleph i also put on top The Other Death and The Immortal.

The Zahir. One of my favourites from The Aleph that no one seems to mention

Can someone explain me what was all about "the Congress"?
like what they would even talk about on the congress?

Borges was actually born in Switzerland (though he moved to Argentina when he was 5 or 6, but he was still educated in french), and huge chunks of his writing is about gauchos and buenos aires delinquents, you fucking imbecile.

>It really made me think
You sneaky fuck

you're a shame, amerifat.

>what was that guy doing writing ancient rome-related historical fiction while he was in fucking elizabethan greece? they have nothing there?
>we appreciate these people only in so far as they come close to a culture that is not theirs. that will keep them in the hole.

>elizabethan greece
England, my bad

Borges wrote a lot about the region he was native from, Buenos Aires and the Pampas, which didnt exist before the Spanish colonized the region in the late XVI century.

Borges was born in Argentina. He moved to Switzerland to get his high school education, which was common in high class families back then, and ended up being stuck more years than planned there because of World War 1.
He also traveled extensively through Spain in the 20s I think, when they had a small cultural golden age before the civil war. Picasso, Dali, Gaudi, and writers like Unamuno or Ortega y Gasset were active back then.

Elder Scrolls lore is basically just fanfiction that Michael Kirkbride likes.

Ah yes, Emperor Elizabeth.

I really like Borges prose
Who are some writers with similar prose?