What are the greatest plays of the 20th/21st centuries? DeathOfASalesman and The Crucible must be up there...

What are the greatest plays of the 20th/21st centuries? DeathOfASalesman and The Crucible must be up there... Opinions or Plays you think shine greatly above others?

Bump, I am trying to put together a play and would like to read some nice source material... I have read Tennessee Williams and Arthur miller and was hoping you guys would have some alternative suggestions..

Couldn't stand The Crucible. There was something kind of preachy about it. Same with Salesman but I should reread it, probably missed something important.

The Iceman Cometh
Long Days Journey Into Night
The Zoo Story
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf
Endgame
Galileo

Yeah I do agree, and its lapses in historical accuracy were kind of annoying..... Salesman is great and open to interpretation, It just resonated with me for some reason.

Thank you sir!

Man I hated The Crucible. But it was a high school setwork so we had to slaughter it in the name of learning; so perhaps I should have a look next time someplace nearby's doing a performance. Convince me user?

Mutter Courage und Ihre Kinder bruv

Hm well if you break it down, Parris is obsessed with his reputation, and thus embodies an almost hypocritical irony and his ignorance to his condemning of those accused of witchcraft and anger at the relatives of those who he condemned.. I think it shows the hopelessness in faith, and weighs heavily, especially on the concept of ignorance yet he is also taken advantage of by Abigail... The whole play for me sort of revolved around the idea of this almost inescapable neitzche-esque slave morality that religion carries, especially in the 17th-18th century setting.

Plus, Judge johns almost blind trust in the crazy Abigail causes the whole situation to just hit da roof

the glass menagerie

No shit bro

I guess my thread is ded. Thanks to the anons who offered some interesting suggestions!

I'm not exactly a knowledgeable person when it comes to contemporary theater, but I greatly enjoyed August: Osage County.

If you want something psychological, try Eugene O'Neill's Long Day's Journey into Night.

>user asks genuine question
>thread last pages because its not "shoulld i read dis book yet or wot' or infinite jest thread

I didn't read your entire question. My recommend goes to Shakespeare; read anything by Shakespeare. He's the greatest playwright of all time. Literally, every play of his is influential and worth reading.

Angels in America is a favorite of mine, it won't disappoint.

Eurydice is short but sweet.

Nice safe picks, pseud

Journey's End by RC Sheriff.

The Dublin Trilogy by Sean O'Casey

Horace and Pete is the greatest play series written in the last twenty years, prove me wrong

I've read very few plays that aren't from ancient Greece, but this was fantastic.

Also, The Man Who Came to Dinner.

Terrible

>20th/21st century.
Of course i have read Willy Shakes.

Never read but I liked the Dreigroschenoper

some unlisted: Translations by Friel, Cartaker by Pinter

>muh liberal feely good everyone should get along because I'm a fucking pussy and then also hurr durr I'm so edgy and deep because I do daaaaark comedy amirite guys? daaaaaark comedy, like real ADULT GROWNUP SHIT I'm so FUCKING MATURE amirite guys?
that show makes me want to puke.

Six Characters In Search Of An Author

The comedy is hardly dark or edgy at all and the sentiment in the show is anything but liberal optimism. But hey nice attempt at a strawman, I recommend spending more time in /pol/ instead of here to be able to do them effectively

Most Tennessee Williams plays from 1944 to 1961 qualify.

Are plays a dead medium? Anything meritorious produced in the last 2 decades?

See