youtube.com/watch?v=AR6eXWNJzoY
bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00545dp
bbc.co.uk/programmes/b081tmgj
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

GOAT episode: Evolutionary Psychology

>tfw extra material at the end of the episode

yeh

The Maya Episode was fantastic, as was the Bedlam episode

IOT is near perfect, it's informative but still easy listening.

Do any other podcasts compare in terms of quality/variety? Bonus for non-American ones.

Are we talking about that radio programme where Lord Bragg invites three acknowledged experts in their field and tells them his opinions on stuff?

Yale Open Courses and Teaching Company Courses desu. Reuters has a great podcast on War: blogs.reuters.com/war-college/

I like Neil deGrasse Tyson except for when he goes political.

The one on Zeno's paradoxes that opened the current series was very interesting.

>It's a 'Bunch of dilettante normie pseuds peddle their mediocre understanding of philosophy/science/culture/etc' episode

Every fucking week my lecturer asks everyone if they listen to Radio 4 and this piece of shit show. Shut the fuck up.

Teaching Company is fkn GOAT tier

NRK does Studio Sokrates, and is similar format but about jazz and philosophy at the same time. Canal+ do a decentish goldfish bowl format on TV on all sorts but I forget the name. And for Germany there's a philosophy phone in on one of the Deutschland radio stations I think, though it's a long time since I listened to that.

France Culture do a bunch of great shows on lots of subjects similar to IOT but not in the same format.

>no-one understands things like me

This. Reminds me of people who listen to Classic FM and think they're cultured for listening to 24/7 replays of Wagner and Khachaturian/etc.

I am actually paying for the streaming service of all their stuff, i watch about 1.5 hours of lectures a day

>It's a Melvin's guest are all presenting phil 101 points without any depth or substance whatsoever

Wuhahah. Pretty easy to turn Veeky Forums against Lord Bragg.
Picture very much related.

Please inform me of a podcast/show that isnt a fake cookie for the plebs like IoT

The thing is I'm actually a patrician. Throwing around the Dunning-Kruger Effect 24/7 is essentially crying wolf - eventually you'll forget that there ARE people who are smarter than you.

This guy gets it. So does . The British middle classes are insufferable.

>24/7 replays of Wagner and Khachaturian/etc

Sadly accurate.

Post ur creds.

Are you calling your lecturer a pseud? It reveals your poor attitude if you're elevating yourself above the person accredited and employed to teach you.

Also how do you think people get a broad base of knowledge? Not many people are lucky enough to experts, or even adepts, at many different subjects. Just because I'm not a scientist doesn't mean that I suddenly can't enjoy mildly informative content related to science.

>it's a Melvyn is obviously uninterested in the subject and none of the guests can satisfy him when he asks what is the big deal about it episode

those ones are my favorite

>Are you calling your lecturer a pseud?

Yes, plenty of them are nowadays. Familiar with modern universities?

>It reveals your poor attitude if you're elevating yourself above the person accredited and employed to teach you.

You're mistaking an honest assessment of someone's terribly plebeian tastes for arrogance.

Defo DK effect considering the caliber of people discussing. You're saying you know the subject so much better that some of the leading experts in the world are retarded in comparison.

The format of IOT (why the little o?) is primarily for leading academics to discuss a subject with each other, with Melvyn there as our kind of everyman Denzel Washington youtube.com/watch?v=AR6eXWNJzoY

I suspect there are some wall staring, bottle pissing NEETs that haven't bothered to listen to a single episode posting up in here.

>the caliber of people discussing

Usually overrated.

>some of the leading experts in the world

Name some. Most of the time it's washed-up authors or lecturers from some third-rate shithole uni.

Are you
?

Frog poster pseud has plopped off I guess.

>lecturers from some third-rate shithole uni.
Who undoubtedly know more about their topic than 99% of on the planet.

lmao its just a podcast nigga. They're 40 minute boad-stroke introductions into topics, not depth-delving research seminar recordings. get over yourself

The recent Zeno's paradox one was with Marcus de Sautoy, Barbara Sattler and James warren, which is like Oxford, St. Andrews, Cambridge. And Sattler has tenure from Yale too iirc. And this is a pretty typical mix of panel. ofc their are naturally people on Veeky Forums who haven't graduated and are much smarterer.

They're radio shows available as podcasts, it's been going since well before podcasts were a thing.

I was being facetious a bit, the evo psych one is like
First Guy: Evo psych is such an amazing and enlightening and totally legitimate honest field of research and has actual applications and ideas!
Second guy: Yeah, well, actually I think evo psych is a load of bullshit.

There are drowning sounds heard occasionally from the third panelist in the ensuing shit storm. Much Drama!

It's nice to drive to on the motorway

I cannot imagine caring enough that I then formed a negative opinion on IOT

>listening to podcasts

If you seriously need to hear something and have a surrogate friend then listen to professors teach classes on Youtube or something. Fuck.

Thinking Allowed is v. good.

monday morning podcast

Almost all the guests are professors you dummy. Most of them are pretty much repeating lectures.

>It's a Melvyn talks over his guests episode.

Nah, Radio 4 in general is good background noise for when you're cooking or just want a little distraction. Sometimes I want something relaxing and mildly interesting.

Some of the guests clearly aren't public speakers, he's got to give guidance.

They regularly have people in from UCL, Oxbridge, Birkbeck, Imperial College, The British Museum etc.

Lots of people like voices and stuff, I used them a lot when I was playing video games and learned a lot of stuff I otherwise would never learn myself from the Joe Rogan Experience.
Just because of his format, you can learn really interesting things about people or situations and their lives. Joe himself isn't all that great, but he's really good at urging his guests to yap about themselves which is the best part.

Also, I don't have friends. You guys don't count.

>You guys don't count.

I listened to the Mrs Dalloway episode a couple days ago and one of the guests was in the middle of giving her analysis and he basically just shuts her up.

>It's a Melvyn talks a bunch of shit in the House of Lords as a representative of the Labour party episode

FUCK OFF

It's a radio program so they have strictish time limits. It's also not rehearsed, they just shoot the shit. So he does have to direct.

The worst ones are where they're obviously not used to speaking at all and the program really goes very slowly, but that happens so rarely thankfully.

>it's a the program has a female guest and two male guests and they talk over her because she has dumb opinions episode

I like econtalk.

It's a "Melvyn's guests are about to fucking go for each other but he moves on before things actually get heated but you can tell they are majorly fucking angry" episode

I hate when that happens. Very rarely do laymen get to see academics go at each others throats like at closed conferences, and it would be both exciting and interesting.

The Daily Shoah is consistently good. There was a string of episodes between 80 and 90 that are fantastic.

>it's a the program has a female guest and all of her thoughts are incredibly basic bitch tier, outright wrong or solely focussed on how the topic affects women, but the men can't call her out on her bullshit without being labelled as misogynists episode

The Shakespeare episode with Harold Bloom and Jacquelyne Rose is fucking GOAT. Shit gets nasty, they come close to knifing each other.

I think it was IoT but maybe a teaching company course where Gobekli Tepe was discussed, and the feminist was utterly blown out by scholars on the subject regarding the space as a worship of female deities. They go so far as to say women that go on pilgrimage to the site are on the same tier as those who believe that pyramids are 40,000 years old.

gb2/pol/

listening now. link for other anons: bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00545dp

>this isnt in my Grover app
wtf

Bloom's disregard of her analytical/critical abilities is palpable.

>Jacquelin Rose
>Known for her pioneering psychoanalytic and feminist interpretations
>feminist interpretations

He crushes her and tosses her into the school of resentment and essentially blames the decline of liberal education on her and her ilk.

She is speaking through grit teeth by the end.

>He crushes her
Nope.jpg He gets screwed by her superior levels of reading and complains that he'd have to go back through the entire western canon to remember relevant other sources for Shakespeare. About halfway through he pulled the oppressed jew card even. Even on the school of resentment he has to remind himself that he isn't just talking to the panel and that there's a radio audience out there, and then pulls a "I have some really great students that believed in the school of resentment". I feel bad for him desu.

Probably the best argument he makes is the pragmatic one, that we can't read everything, but he doesn't see that that prevents everyone, including himself, from claiming value for certain authors he has read against other authors he hasn't. Then he tries and fails to talk over her. Like it's sad for him.

>remember relevant other sources for Shakespeare.
Than Shakespeare for Freud.*

It's not so obvious if you aren't really familiar with the background of what they are talking about. Knowing beforehand that Bloom isn't taken very seriously in academia goes a long way to seeing that he gets wrecked in that episode.

I'm going to need a link, user. That sounds awesome.

IS THE LONELIEST NUMBER

>In our time, BBC radio 4

One again Veeky Forums exposed for middlebrow plebs.

Truly patrician arts and intellectual content is found on the Third Programme (thats BBC Radio 3 to you).

No kidding, as patrician and aesthetic as fuck.

Tonight's line-up includes an archive poetry reading from 1980, a 45 minute programme on the influence of Victoriana in contemporary writing and a jokey 15 minute thing when someone reads out a letter they'd write to a dead author. Tonight its Jonathon Swift.

What makes it truly patrician is that they are constantly bombarded with hate mail for "dumbing down" (as above).

Radio 4 my arse.

>Radio 4 my arse
>Never had his arse "Radio 4"'d
>Will never know the pleasure of A Good Read with Harriet Gilbert vibrating softly against your prostate.
>Why even go on?

Anyone ever sat through woman's hour? How are they in general, I usually ignore the BBC's feminist agenda.

I wish. Sadly, "Open book" with Mariella Frostrup kills my erection every time.

I don't get that show, everything is a discussion of characters and feelings. I swear if they had Joyce on they'd ask him what the felt Stephen Daedalus felt about stuff.

Its an odd way to approach fiction IMHO.

It very much depends which presenter.

If its Jenni Murray, god help you and god help us all.

Martha Kearney was OK and Jane Garvey is fine.

Dude cannot not interrupt his guests constantly. I can only listen to it infrequently it is so bad. He talks over them, repeats them while stepping on their heels, rephrases their expert points in his own clumsy fashion. He's fucking irritating.

No. It's great. Especially when you listen and he is just being dense, demanding they rephrase something after he has cut them off and not allowed them to finish their point. You can feel the academics get closer and closer to losing their minds.

I listen to occasionally hear about good books I haven't heard of or people I like discuss stuff I enjoy. Also it's delicious when someone has brought in a piece of shit meme magical realism trash and Harriet and the other person tear the book limb from limb. Genuinely find the show much harder to listen to when it's two women guests because sometimes their choices are shite and they raise no interesting points as they race to see who can mention having read Wide Sargasso Sea the quickest.

Honestly, from what I can tell from hearing it on the radio it's a reasonable show that trends towards discussing more moderate feminist positions and topics than the topics you see discussed on the internet.

For the most part it's a decent show that avoids being preachy.

bbc.co.uk/programmes/b081tmgj

ha

Truly patrish.

I think the posters to really point and laugh at are the ones that brought up Classic FM and pointed out it's an automated radio station that repeatedly plays the same shit. That's fucking retards pointing out retarded shit.

For me Radio 3, 4, 6 and sometimes LBC is it for UK radio. If I'm on a news binge, sometimes Radio 5 before Today on 4 and the BBC World Service update.

>Radio 3, 4, 6
Top choices mate.

>No Tolkien episode

At least Beyond Belief did one.

>No Tolkien episode
Truly patician. They did do a CS Lewis episode I think, that might have been another R4 prog on his Christianity books tho.