Looking for good bread recipes

>Looking for good bread recipes
>Get to some bread baking forums
>muh crumb

God, these homos are intolerable

that's a nice crumb

Fuck off

That's a pretty decent crumb, but I prefer 'e 'ead myself.

>i want to learn about baking bread. Go to a website where presumably knowledgeable bakers discuss it. They focus on a critical aspect of bread, the crumb, and I make fun of them.

Keep that mind locked tight, plebe.

thats honestly pretty awful looking bread.

make a brioche loaf or naan

>muh crumb: the post

What the fuck is a crumb?
>FFS if you mean the crust.

crumb is the best part of the loaf.

look at these GSPs, the crumb is what makes these loafs better than most

The crumb refers to the innards.

Americans

Ah. Ok.

So OP IS a faggot?

Obsessed

Obesed.

Indeed

Crumbfags detected

LOL - have to remember this one.

What the fuck is going on with that crumb?

How much shortening do you use motherfucker and what kind

What the fuck do you "look for" in crumb shots? Anytime I see a picture of a crumb, all I think is "Yup, that's the inside of bread".

How do I look at it critically?

Well, within "snobby" bread circles, you generally look for larger holes. That indicates a more open crumb, better developed gluten, and somebody who knows what they're doing.
Smaller holes and denser breads are easier, and are therefore often disparaged

Interesting. So, with the pic above, there are small holes AND large holes. Is that midway between "good" and "bad" (among snobs), since it's part of the way to better-developed gluten? Or is that just considered an open crumb?

Small holes will always be present; you'll never find bread that's large holes only.

That's what I thought, I've never seen bread that was all large holes, so I just wanted to make sure. Thanks.

This is a very nice looking crumb. The bread seems like it was fermented for just the right time, being neither under- nor overproofed. It has nice openness (lots of air) but without having any enormous bubbles that would form caverns inside the bread. The large bubbles are of ideal size. The bubbles are also very even in the sense that they are all over the bread - a lot of the time you tend to get the bubbles concentrated somewhere in the lower middle (occasionally upper middle) part of the cross section, while here we see that the large bubbles are evenly spaced out and there are no areas where you would have a lot of dense bread with very few bubbles. Just about anyone can get large bubbles simply by keeping dough hydration high, kneading sufficiently and by fermenting for the right time, but getting the large bubbles to be spread out evenly takes a degree of skill.

Judging by the cross section, the crust of the bread seems a little on the thick side, but it's a bit hard to say. Of course this is a matter of taste also. The browning on the crust seems ideal, being neither very dark nor light, but a pleasant compromise while still having a few almost black bits where the bread was scored, adding to the character. It's hard to judge from this angle, but it kind of seems like the bread did not bloom as well as it could have, that is to say the area that was scored did not open up very much. This is often to be expected for a bread made in a home oven, as a steam injection oven is almost a necessity for a perfect bloom. The degree of bloom is also affected by the amount of whole grains in the flour, and not knowing anything about the recipe here it's hard to judge.

Crumb: 5/5
Crust: 3-4/5
Overall I would rate this bread somewhere around 8-9 points out of 10, based on appearance alone.

Indubitably