So can we all agree that the SS officer was dracula and General Entrescu was a werewolf, right?

So can we all agree that the SS officer was dracula and General Entrescu was a werewolf, right?

Other urls found in this thread:

cultura.elpais.com/cultura/2014/12/08/actualidad/1418055903_266402.html)
theanxietyofinfluence.wordpress.com/2009/07/27/harold-bloom-on-2666/)
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No.

the fuck

"At midmorning they came to a castle. The only people there were three Romanians and an SS officer who was acting as butler and who put them right to work, after serving them a breakfast consisting of a glass of cold milk and a scrap of bread, which some soldiers left untouched in disgust. Everyone, except for four soldiers who stood guard, among them Reiter, whom the SS officer judged ill suited for the task of tidying the castle, left their rifles in the kitchen and set to work sweeping, mopping, dusting lamps, putting clean sheets on the beds."

“And what are you doing here, at Dracula’s castle?” asked the baroness.

Serving the Reich, said Reiter, and for the first time he looked at her.

He thought she was stunningly beautiful, much more so than when he had known her. A few steps from them, waiting, was General Entrescu, who couldn’t stop smiling, and the young scholar Popescu, who more than once exclaimed: wonderful, wonderful, yet again the sword of fate severs the head from the hydra of chance."

"Soon they came to a crypt dug out of the rock. An iron gate, with a coat of arms eroded by time, barred the entrance. The SS officer, who behaved as if he owned the castle, took a key out of his pocket and let them in. Then he switched on a flashlight and they all ventured into the crypt, except for Reiter, who remained on guard at the door at the signal of one of the officers.

So Reiter stood there, watching the stone stairs that led down into the dark, and the desolate garden through which they had come, and the towers of the castle like two gray candles on a deserted altar. Then he felt for a cigarette in his jacket, lit it, and gazed at the gray sky, the distant valleys, and thought about the Baroness Von Zumpe’s face as the cigarette ash dropped to the ground and little by little he fell asleep, leaning on the stone wall. Then he dreamed about the inside of the crypt. The stairs led down to an amphitheater only partially illuminated by the SS officer’s flashlight. He dreamed that the visitors were laughing, all except one of the general staff officers, who wept and searched for a place to hide. He dreamed that Hoensch recited a poem by Wolfram von Eschenbach and then spat blood. He dreamed that among them they had agreed to eat the Baroness Von Zumpe.

He woke with a start and almost bolted down the stairs to confirm with his own eyes that nothing he had dreamed was real.

When the visitors returned to the surface, anyone, even the least astute observer, could have seen that they were divided into two groups, those who were pale when they emerged, as if they had glimpsed something momentous down below, and those who appeared with a half smile sketched on their faces, as if they had just been reapprised of the naivete of the human race."

"That night, during dinner, they talked about the crypt, but they also talked about other things. They talked about death. Hoensch said that death itself was only an illusion under permanent construction, that in reality it didn’t exist. The SS officer said death was a necessity: no one in his right mind, he said, would stand for a world full of turtles or giraffes. Death, he concluded, served a regulatory function."

"The SS officer said that murder was an ambiguous, confusing, imprecise, vague, ill-defined word, easily misused."

"The SS officer said culture was the call of the blood, a call better heard by night than by day, and also, he said, a decoder of fate."

"The intellectual Popescu remained standing, next to the fireplace, observing the SS officer with curiosity."

"First they praised the assortment of little cakes and then, without pause, they began to talk about Count Dracula, as if they had been waiting all night for this moment. It wasn’t long before they broke into two factions, those who believed in the count and those who didn’t. Among the latter were the general staff officer, General Entrescu, and the Baroness Von Zumpe. Among the former were Popescu, Hoensch, and the SS officer, though Popescu claimed that Dracula, whose real name was Vlad Tepes, aka Vlad the Impaler, was Romanian, and Hoensch and the SS officer claimed that Dracula was a noble Teuton, who had left Germany accused of an imaginary act of treason or disloyalty and had come to live with some of his loyal retainers in Transylvania a long time before Vlad Tepes was born, and while they didn’t deny Tepes a real historical or Transylvanian existence, they believed that his methods, as revealed by his alias or nickname, had little or nothing to do with the methods of Dracula, who was more of a strangler than an impaler, and sometimes a throat slitter, and whose life abroad, so to speak, had been a constant dizzying spin, a constant abysmal penitence."

"Sacraphobia is fear or hatred of the sacred, of sacred objects, especially from your own religion, said Elvira Campos. He thought about making a reference to Dracula, who fled crucifixes, but he was afraid the director would laugh at him. And you believe the Penitent suffers from sacraphobia? I’ve given it some thought, and I do. A few days ago he disemboweled a priest and another person, said Juan de Dios Martinez."

"The room they came to was empty and cold, as if Dracula had just stepped out. The only thing there was an old mirror that Wilke lifted off the stone wall, uncovering a secret passageway."

"And so they were able to look into the room of the SS officer, lit by three candles, and they saw the SS officer up, wrapped in a robe, writing something at a table near the fireplace. The expression on his face was forlorn. And although that was all there was to see, Wilke and Reiter patted each other on the back, because only then were they sure they were on the right path. They moved on.

"Then Wilke came on the wall and mumbled something too, a soldier’s prayer, and soon afterward Reiter came on the wall and bit his lips without saying a word. And then Entrescu got up and they saw, or thought they saw, drops of blood on his penis shiny with semen and vaginal fluid, and then Baroness Von Zumpe asked for a glass of vodka, and then they watched as Entrescu and the baroness stood entwined, each with a glass in hand and an air of distraction, and then Entrescu recited a poem in his tongue, which the baroness didn’t understand but whose musicality she lauded, and then Entrescu closed his eyes and cocked his head as if to listen to something, the music of the spheres, and then he opened his eyes and sat at the table and set the baroness on his cock, erect again (the famous foot-long cock, pride of the Romanian army), and the cries and moans and tears resumed, and as the baroness sank down onto Entrescu’s cock or Entrescu’s cock rose up into the Baroness Von Zumpe, the Romanian general recited a new poem, a poem that he accompanied by waving both arms (the baroness clinging to his neck), a poem that again neither of them understood, except for the word Dracula, which was repeated every four lines, a poem that might have been martial or satirical or metaphysical or marmoreal or even anti-German, but whose rhythm seemed made to order for the occasion, a poem that the young baroness, sitting astride Entrescu’s thighs, celebrated by swaying back and forth, like a little shepherdess gone wild in the vastness of Asia, digging her nails into her lover’s neck, scrubbing the blood that still flowed from her right hand on her lover’s face, smearing the corners of his lips with blood, while Entrescu, undeterred, continued to recite his poem in which the word Dracula sounded every four lines, a poem that was surely satirical, decided Reiter (with infinite joy) as Wilke jerked off again."

"Some of their battalion comrades dubbed them the vampires."

"The next morning the detachment left the castle after the departure of the two carloads of guests. Only the SS officer remained behind while they swept, washed, and tidied everything. Then, when the officer was fully satisfied with their efforts, he ordered them off and the detachment climbed into the truck and headed back down to the plain. Only the SS officer’s car—with no driver, which was odd—was left at the castle. As they drove away, Reiter saw the officer: he had climbed up to the battlements and was watching the detachment leave, craning his neck, rising up on tiptoe, until the castle, on the one hand, and the truck, on the other, disappeared from view."

Theres also a part about Popescu killing a one legged man who said he was at the Dracula's cast when they crucified Entrescu who tried to digg to make trenchers and all he could find was human bones, and after he told Popescu about that, it was impliyed he killed him, referi ng that Popescu knew where they were back in the castle, and what the SS officer and Entrescu were.
Also there is allusion that dracula wasn't a bloodscuker, but a strangler, hence the killings in Santa Teresa, not by his hand, but by some kind of puppetering.

What the fuck is this book even about

>dracula did the santa teresa murders
>he drove a car that looked like a coffin

WHAAAAT

mariachi pynchon

I'm 330 pages in and I've honestly stopped trying to make sense of it all. Just the experience of reading it is enough motivation for me to keep reading, though. The atmosphere is really nice, and there's this odd sense of something being awry.
Sometimes I'll put the book down and think about what a strange place the world is. It's pretty comfy

Five separate stories whose intersection is a Mexican city where young women are being regularly kidnapped, raped and murdered. It's a long read and there isn't any overarching plot per se but it's not particularly difficult. Great book, go read it.

>tfw 2666 isnt Bloom approved

Bloom is just an old fart, let him be

But he is pretty much right about everything

he's right about many things, and he's done a lot of great work overall, but he also tends to exaggerate a lot and act like a teen girl. see DFW, for example: surely than man was no savior of american lit, not even close, and his importance was majorly overhyped by the publishers of ij, but "no discernible talent" is a flat out fucking lie

Hi David

>Veeky Forums is for the discussion of literature
>discussion
lmaooooo

The last chapter was the best for me, felt like i was reading a different book which tied together some of the pieces left open in the previous ones.

a vampyre perhaps but not drach.

>translations

Is not like bolaño's prose is that good

I was just memeing but I think his prose is quite good, very fluid.

Thats like the minimum you can expect from a writer

His prose is quite good, but what makes it good can be translated.

Half the writers loved in Veeky Forums are purple as fuck

150 pages in and this isnt doing it for me
Should I keep pushing?

Prose can be fluid and purple at the same time.
Bolaño just feels dry, Borges is a good example of non-purple, fluid prose.

In interviews he says that Bolaño was very talenting.

He is a spook, desu.

>talenting
What did he mean by this?

Enough with this meme.

This guy read and studied far more than Pynchon will ever do in his pathetic life, all while starving and freezing to death.

How would you know, senpai?

I'm not David you fucking retard, DFW is dead and besides there is no way I could have faked my suicide so convincingly

superior desu
who /café con leche/ here

Well he corresponded with Bolano and says in an interview "There's something there, we'll see. We had our differences, although he said that I exercised influence over him."
(Google's translation. source: cultura.elpais.com/cultura/2014/12/08/actualidad/1418055903_266402.html)

But he's also said "I suspect Bolano is another period piece. His excess attracts but flows away."
(source: theanxietyofinfluence.wordpress.com/2009/07/27/harold-bloom-on-2666/)

this fucker can't make up his mind.

What did he meme by this?

i wanna bang the carpet girl

>It truly was, an infinite jest

What a memer
Why do you fags care about what this guy says again?

What if DFW was all the friends we made along the way?

That doesnt make his books better

Anyone read Antwerp? Seems to be one of his most experimental, but also not one of his most acclaimed. I´me reading it after i finish with another one i have

That book is some real visceralkino.
The chapter about the sword fight and the one about the book fair were fucking great.

Mariachi pynchon himself said it was his favorite book by him

>mariachi pynchon
stop forcing this awful meme lmao

But he really is mariachi pynchon
Some user said it some days ago

>tfw no carpet girl gf

>muh pride of romania
that german skank still fucked an eastern european...absolutely disgusting

So random

you got to read this in spanish.... english doesn't get he right atmosphere for he majority of the contexts

The chaotic nature of the world, the search for truth and the intricacies of modern life.

Im a native spanish speaker and I can confirm this is bullshit

>SS
>Modern

>SS
>not modern

Touche

T H I Q Q

Yea, the first chapter was the worse for me.

the second one was much better

Toupe