Got over 10,000 words written today, Veeky Forums. How many did you write? If none, how much did you read...

Got over 10,000 words written today, Veeky Forums. How many did you write? If none, how much did you read, and what book was it?

Gif unrelated.

Other urls found in this thread:

chyoa.com/story/Mind-Wars.10240
prowritingaid.com
royalroadl.com/fiction/8693
shorttext.com/81d5dddc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Got my first novel I'm proud of done. I tried to do it in as least words as possible, it's like 40,000 or so words, took me a month total in between procrastinating and writing other stuff.
Also did like 4000 or so that I'm going to scrap for my erotica CYOA adventure story.

I've been consistently shitposting for 5 hours until I got banned from /pol/ for posting bullshit like pic related, by my estimate I'm anywhere between 3000-6000, and 5 catalog lines worth of forum sliding. It's a pathetic waste of my time, but it felt cathartic considering how much those fuckers shit up my board.

>erotica CYOA
damn that's a good idea. You know how to sell out like an absolute madman.

I actually didn't think about doing it for the money at all.
I just happened upon a site that hosts that stuff and wrote probably 20,000 or so words since nov 3rd for that story. I figured 'might as well', it's my first erotica so it's crazy as fuck.

link?

chyoa.com/story/Mind-Wars.10240
mind control focused. There's a lot of scenes I want to cut down on but I have this problem where I like writing new stuff far more than reviewing old stuff

Sure is fun typing up erotic stuff. Mine's got quite a lot of mind shit going on with it as well. Best to keep it from being just all smut, I figure. Still have around 35,000 words to go, I think. Probably going to go for about 55,000 words, give or take, but if I end up arriving at the ending before that, then I'll just settle with it being a short story. So far, I don't really know how it's going to end, but there's quite a few things that I want to happen in the meantime. Really, at something like 19,500 words in (I think I left off at around 7500 last night), the fun has pretty much only just started. I incorporated one aspect that I didn't even see coming when I started, and I like it.

Pretty good. Thanks for making a spook-free option for every decision, really helped me get into it.

>incorporated one aspect that I didn't see coming
That's the only way I write. I just wing it based upon whatever last thing I did, then worry about consistency and sense later. All the stuff I'm the most proud of comes from naming my character one thing, then googling, finding shit, adding in more shit, then just going with some ridiculous premise.
I actually wanted to write actual sex scenes at first but I ended up with this whole secret society nonsense and 'magic' system and I had to force myself to get to the sex.
I don't know how far you got but I wrote it so each decision changes the 'you' character drastically. And it ways that you don't expect. Like one of the 'ruin' route choices ends up turning you into bros with the butler and the girl, I'm planning that to be a 'friend's route where you desperately try to control people but they just end up treating you normally. The power in that route you gained is left unsaid so far but it's basically anyone who tries to fuck with you ends up getting fucked miserably. Gonna have fun with that when Crimson shows up.
What do you mean by spook-free? I read stirner but my brain isn't figuring it out.

I just mean options that don't pander to spooks like morality or etiquette:
>I want to pursue my desires alone. Life is all about what I can get out of it.
>Rest. Sleep is what I want.
>I want her.

There's a clear deterioration in the amount of effort you put in as the chapters progress, but it's fun nonetheless. Would buy on kindle after editing/10

Wow, interesting. Secret society and magic, we're definitely into different things, but it's cool that you can cook up your own 'magic' system on the fly without having planned it out.

>buy
Huh, really? Maybe I should polish it up then after I finish. The way I planned it should take me a couple of months to get everything to point where I can start editing.
The non-spook thing was just from the whole psychology aspect I started with.
>deterioration
Definitely, exhaustion and not editing enough, I'm glad someone noticed.

I'm about to go on winter unemployment and use the season to write my second (and maybe third) novel. During the work season, I listened to over 100 pirated audiobooks while landscaping and feel prepared to make my next books better than the first. Going to listen to a full audiobook at work today, too.

I just noticed today that someone finally reviewed my first novel and Amazon, and it was glowing. I always heard Amazon reviews for self published books could be brutal but this person loved it. They wrote "Cocaine snorting and mushroom eating heroes!!! What could be better??? I truly recommend this book, and not just for the novelty of the premise! It is absolutely hilarious and very engrossing... Can you take a serial killer nicknamed "Dick Man" seriously? If so, this is your read!!! I couldn't put this book down!!!"

You guys have any good reviews of your work? I finally made a fan outside my real world social circle!

Anyone have the reverse of that gif?

I'm at work, but on my way here I wrote a iambic line of five words, that I plan to later use in a poem I am thinking up.

Nice book, bought it. I've taken to doing that to buying the 3 dollar kindle books posted here to relieve my despair, hopefully I'll actually get around to reading it someday.

Yeah, I posted mine on royal road legends to get readers right away. I wanted criticism, figured at the least someone might see the damn thing. Got to like 3k views and someone gave a detailed review that showed they read and loved the whole thing. 'The Deepest Novel on Royal Road' he said and I laughed at myself.
I'm not sure how to take that. D E E P

>Got over 10,000 words written today

Uh huh, were any of them good?

Most writers produce like 1-2k a day of quality work.

Steven King was famous for writing about 5k a day, and some would argue he probably should have slowed down.

No writing yet. Read chapters 19-28 in Down and Out in Paris and London.

Like 140. Working on the last couple paragraphs of a 7k word William Gass-y colloquial/pagan-christian short story about a wild child who goes in search of crawdads in the wake of a storm that fucks up his town. My ability to produce a respectable word count has stalled considerably since I have reached the near-end of this thing since I can't seem to help myself from going back and touching up previous sections rather than actually forging ahead. But yeah, just a little left to do then I think I need to take a month break from writing to clear my head.

It's only my second novel, so honest, it's probably not 'good', but it's better than my first novel. Of that I'm sure. I'm fixing quite a few mistakes before I even make them, and I'm certain when it comes time to write my third novel, it will be better written than the first two.

I wrote over 77,000 words in less than 5 days before. Did very little besides writing. Just kept at it. So far today I've got about 2,000 words written, but still got several hours to go yet, and I've got ideas steadily being implemented with more coming. More character development, more story, more issues/problems coming up in terms of plot. I think it's turning out pretty good, but of course I'm still quite new to the whole 'published author' thing.

Really? Thanks! Did you find it by googling the review? I didn't post a link to avoid feeling like a spammer. I also like the $3 kindle books but never buy any that don't have some reviews. Hopefully my first review (and a 5 star at that) will boost sales in the future.

I wrote a spoof "old-timey" letter to my pen-pal in Australia.
Hardly a novel, but I like it all the same.

Gif unrelated; I took it slow

God damn, what an old gif. If it's more recent than 2004, I'd be surprised. This is no reflection or judgement on user. I'm just drunk and that immediately brings back memories from years ago.

Is anyone going to submit to that ideology lit journal that was shilling on here the other day?

I've never submitted any where, but it's probably a good place to start? How do you find literary magazines even

Nil, O, Zerum, Love, Zero, 0, Nulo, No, Kokore, Nought, Goose egg, Eber, Cipher, Midén, Neoni, Cero, Nenhum, Zéro, 1 minus 1

None. I've donne something like 2k a day for the last week tho. Gif not unrelated at all friend

10000 words of pure garbage, I bet.

I usually do about 1-1.5k words a day.

Today I only did 500, because I'm kind of working on something I'm not super sure where it's going, so I'm kind of taking it slow.

Yeah I found it by googling the review.
I'd suggest everyone read goinswriter.com, guys one the best bloggers I read for inspiration and self publishing help

Anyone really know anything about self-publishing btw?

I got two books I'm thinking of self publishing. Tried going the traditional route, but I'm not published for one, my stuff isn't similar to anything else that's selling, and i'm not very pc at all, so I'm not very publisher friendly.

Read the last 110 pages of Madame Bovary. Like twice the amount I usually read, thanks to a long bus ride.

Had to hide my misty eyes from the other passengers more than once.

I don't write, because rereading anything I wrote that isn't technical stuff will cause me intense shame and cringing.

>rereading anything I wrote that isn't technical stuff will cause me intense shame and cringing.
Yeah that was me until I wrote that mediocre on purpose 'Mediocre in Another World' based on the world transfer translated LNs I was reading.
Since I knew it was shit from the start, I wasn't critical and by the end of it I actually liked my story and characters and went on to write a novel I'm really proud of that has D E E P psychological stuff.

Might try something similar. Thanks.

Same here with an unconventional style that publishers wouldn't want. The Amazon self publishing route generally involves putting up a bunch of your short stories for 0.99. You can also give them away for free, which expands your fanbase when you are first starting and need readers. Enough people read them and enjoy them and they start buying your more expensive novel-length e-book, which you charge 2.99 and up for and keep 70% of that money. Amazon also offers paperback printing so you could buy a bunch of copies of your own novel and then sell them to people IRL for twice the price. My novel cost like 5 bucks a pop for me to buy from Amazon and I sell them for 10 to people I meet. Most of my book sales are me selling the book IRL at random places, but I get a steady trickle if ebook downloads from Amazon which is all money in the bank, even if its chump change basically.

Not him, but the worldbuilding I always do on the fly with little to know prompting. It's the actually writing I have trouble with.

I wrote 2,200 and I read 90 pages, 30 of Djuna Barnes and 60 on a biography. I haven't read anything in a good two months, so I feel good to be back.

>got banned from /pol/
>for ironic political shitposting

I just don't believe you at all

I spent another day texting a girl that tells me.she is too busy or, a special election day edition "to frustrated" to talk

I'm pretty new to Veeky Forums and related stuff, and I have a question for you guys. Do you get your stuff published? Does anyone read it? How difficult is it to get some money from writing if you don't have a name or connections at all?
I'm starting writing for myself. I don't read much tbqh but loads of people have told me over the years that it'd be worth it for me to do something related to writing. I'm not doing anything with the purpose of earning money of course at this point, but I was wondering if a fairly decent hobby writer I >might< one day be could cash in on this.
I think I'd mainly be doing low-fantasy/historical stuff if I find it fulfilling. I guess those genres are pretty saturated though.

>loads of people tell me X
Don't listen to them

Also the less you read - and the less you read good books - the more your writing will be weak.
And fantasy is not only saturated, it's mostly cheap stuff

Editing the final act of a quick story I thought I'd release online. It was meant to be just a casual side project to end the year with, but somehow ended up at 66k+ words and still feels like it could use some padding.

goinswriter is a pretty good source on everything writing these days. Mostly about sucking up to the guys with lots of followers and making them love your shit so they do it as a group. Most authors eventually make a decent amount just by sheer volume of work.
Depends on how much you get into the story in my opinion. If you aren't putting your emotions into the story it doesn't matter what you read or vomit out, it's not 'your' story, it's 'a' story you wrote. Most satisfying work for me is when I did stuff that was akin to journaling but played around with the characters to make an original story.
Good job, about to do the same myself. I got overwhelmed so I was scribbing down ideas for my next novel trying to relax and failing. Anxiety's at max, having my shit posted online for anyone and sending out promotion emails and getting nothing back feels disgusting. I'm worrying over every little scene now, planning to go through the whole thing with prowritingaid.com just so I feel a bit better before I study up to make it feel 'finished'.

Well, post some of it

royalroadl.com/fiction/8693
Serial microfiction cyberpunk with interconnected characters.

Here's my newest chapter of my second novel. Randy has been dumped by his girlfriend, so he drunkenly broke into her apartment while she was at work to jerk off on her bed sheets as revenge. Then she comes home from work early. He then gives the most absurd, paranoid inner-monologue I have ever written at the end, heavily inspired by Gravity's Rainbow. shorttext.com/81d5dddc

Written 380 words so far today for my novel, this is my first attempt at writing anything

Link?

And there are databases of lit journals online...

I read a lot of shitposts today, especially on facebook

I only wrote 150 words today, but they were the opening paragraphs to my second novel and needed a lot of thought put into them. The book will be a fictionalized account of my real life relationship with my heroin addict sister who once tried to murder me for drug money. I have all tomorrow free to hopefully do 1-2k words.

>fictionalized account of my real life relationship
I just thought of doing one of these yesterday. Everything's better if you turn everyone in to dragons.

I'm writing this reply right now. So like 9 words

Yeah, I'm turning what was a simple home invasion knife fight into a full scale Avengers level rumble for the books climax. Even if I could write an honest memoir on the subject and it would be crazy, I always have found memoirs pretentious, no matter how loose or self deprecating they try to be. I'd rather twist our real world rocky relationship into a supernatural action/horror epic.

9 is technically a number so I guess you're right. I was going to say ten, if you said 'nine' then maybe I would be pushed to that level. You've gone pretty far user, I'd criticize the nature of your minimalism. After all, short stories like this are better off with a comma so:

I'm writing this reply right now, so like nine words. Baby shoes, for sale, never worn.

I think that would be better. Keep up the good work.
Brings a tear to my eye. Like anyone would care about how I cut off my family and stopped talking to them because I couldn't connect to them and they were dicks at times but I still admired them.
'Someone kill somebody already! You've got that dwarf war to write!', hollywood would say. I'm never going there anyways, might as write fucking dragons fucking each other up with their disputes over territory and complex interpersonal relationships.
Or I could just work on that Dick Danger the Cock Ranger story.

Fictionalizing yourself is a good method, it's how Stephen King writes all his books. My first book was a fictionalized account of my divorce that played out as a Lovecraftian apocalypse.

>how stephen king writes his books
Really? Fuck, I feel like a hack now. I wanted that idea to be mine alone! It's not fair!
Fuck you stephen king. Go drown in a pile of money.

>Anxiety's at max, having my shit posted online for anyone and sending out promotion emails and getting nothing back feels disgusting. I'm worrying over every little scene now

Most my stories don't get much feedback, but I'm not too bothered by it. So long as I'm sure I've done the absolute best I could and had fun doing it, then it's okay. You can't ever please everyone, but if you love what you do, then there's a good chance someone else will too. So just relax and enjoy the process.

>be me, dragon
>fly over to qt dragoness I have a crush on
>h-hey
>she breathes fire
>treasure hoard spills out from my pocket

I think this would sell

i write mostly poetry stuff so i probably dont exceed 100 words in the course of like 4 hours or so

idk hao 2 pheel abewt that

Would I be a massive pretentious cunt if I worked on my novel at a Starbucks today? My room is getting stuffy and reeks of weed.

Why would you be? But if I were you I would go to a place with actual coffee and lower prices.

Not that many today. I'm writing a semi-erotic experimental novel about a setting where tanks are cute girls. Normally I manage about a thousand words, but today I was very busy with work so I've only done two hundred or so.

you aren't really doing this are you

came to say I read this yesterday on a sort of rush, don't know if I particularly liked the prose or the style itself but I would've kept reading it as it was entertaining that's for sure. I've never read Pynchon past the first 30 or so first pages of TCoL49 and english isn't my native language so you may disregard this post altogether though.

Thanks. My prose has always been my weak point so I try to have my tales jam-packed with plot, jokes, and momentum so nobody has time to notice.

Samefagging, but 1100 words done today and only just starting. Writing about heroin addicts is depressing and their chapters leave me feeling grimy every time I have to write them. There was a mugging in the chapter I wrote today, and I'm wondering if these lines are too much:

Maxwell was almost hoping Jacob would refuse to pony up so he could push his weapon through Jacob's eye socket. He had always wondered what goo from a punctured eyeball would look like. Was it just milky white, or would he get to see the retina slide out along with the viscous fluids?

Starbucks is just stupidly overpriced, like it doesn't make sense that it costs ~$1 more for a cup of black coffee there than at, say, Tim Hortons

>can't ever please everyone
Yeah, I still try though. In the end my fucking attempt at a trash world transfer anime story ended up vonnegut level introductory lit for dummies.
I think it's quite literally the best novel I could possibly write given my life experience.
No dude you gotta be more inventive. The bitch is the treasure. Make it surreal. Then you have dragon fucking his treasure pile halfway into the novel and everyone is like what the fuck but no motherfucker you fucking know the truth it is they who need to understand!
This man is a hero.
If you're saying 'is this line too much' then you can put that feeling into the story. Try to express the imagery a bit more placid. Although people understand that these people are monsters it's a bit more subtle you'll feel more comfortable with the end work and it'll be more 'you'. Lots of author try to force shit, don't express emotions they have 'about' the work in the work, and it just makes their work less interesting.
The most interesting thing in that novel is your subconscious, not you, not the druggies.

Anyways I did like 20 poems in a rush all morning in spite of myself and some marketing. The poems are hilariously dumb, I'm not even a poet. And I also wrote out and answered an email from some writer I asked advice from, I was fucking sweating balls.

Why would I not be doing it? It's fun for me and the concept gets people interested. The first novel in history from the point of view of a Chinese tank. Who has sex with her commander between battles.

We all write what we have to, user. Thanks.

No writing unfortunately. However, I did finish the last 100 pages of Light in August by William Faulkner.

Got the standard 2k done yesterday, hoping to do 3k today. Early chapters are the hardest for me to write, when I constantly have to break the plot flow to describe new characters and settings as they are introduced. I like once I'm 4 or 5 chapters in and everything has been established so I can just start running wild with plot rather than constantly setting things up.

So just tell me, are they actual cute girls with tank-like clothes as in your pic or are they actual multiple ton hunks of metal with the mental characteristics of cute girls?

They're mostly girls on the outside but I like to keep how much they resemble real girls ambiguous - I still describe hulls and engines and armour at the same time as they can smile and have breasts and eat food. I like being able to make the sex scenes go from "onee-chan dame-" to Ballard-in-Crash level weird.

Have you considered that this concept might make a better comic/manga than written tale?

Read about 50 pages.also done all of my Xmas shopping today

It would in one way - the idea is obviously inspired by that Japanese trend of sexualising weapons into cute girls, which is first and foremost a visual concept - but on the other I find the vagueness you can get from prose serves the story well. Having them drawn would definitively settle whether they're tanks or girls, but in prose I can create room for both interpretations being valid at once.