en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_B._Calhoun
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavioral_sink
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

T'was fuck'd
-user

>Repeat the same experiment on mice
>Report most of them
>40 years later faggots only remember the most fucked up one

Pop-sci is a fucking cancer. The universe he created was called "Universe 25", what do you think happened in the other 24? (pro-tip: it was fucking nothing). Also I can't trust or take seriously any researcher who uses the phrase "spiritual death".

Sometimes I think that agriculture was a mistake, and we should've just stayed as hunter-gatherers. Everyone had a job and something to do almost all the time, and communities where small and tightly bound. As a result, there where no social outcasts that never lose their virginity like most people on this site. Life was simpler. People didn't live as long, but they had no real reason to be unhappy most of the time. This experiment kind of supports that, because agriculture led to a surplus of food which led to crowded cities and today's society.

>Something you don't like gets popular
>le pop sci cancer! XDDDD

Whoa buddy, how do I become as enlightened and smart as you?

You can't. You were born a brainlet.
Source:

Let me get this straight you dumb autistic cunt.
You want humanity to regress to hunter-gathering because you are defective human who couldn't get laid?

Wrong. He wants humanity to regress to hunter-gathering because he has no job, he's bored, has no friends and can't get laid.

>regress
Oh boy, this sounds like an ideology where only your current value system is the correct one. I bet you also think species are ranked from best to worst and humans just happened to be at the top. How lucky for you to be born the best thing in the universe with the best value system.

i fucking hate you

>misanthropic autist and a faggot too

Ever thought about killing yourself? Like seriously gave it a thought? It's not that hard man, sometimes life is just so hard the best decision is to just drop it all and go.

Source on the other experiments?

Why is the idea of not being the greatest thing alive troubling you so much that you feel compelled to tell people to kill themselves? I never said I hate humans, does saying hamburgers aren't the best food ever mean I hate hamburgers? If I say you can't compare apples to oranges for which one is the best fruit and say instead that they're just different does that mean I hate apples? Stop being an emotional baby it's shutting down any sense of logic you have.

Reported for underage blabbering. If you want to be amongst your peers, stay on /b.

It's funny, none of the "utopia" experiments were ever recorded in a journal, the only references you can find to them seem to be symposium talks. He only talks about "Universe 25", presumably because that was the only one in which anything interesting happened, there's an allusion to other experiments he's done in a similar vain, but has decided no to talk about.

>...They had taken about a million observations on the set of populations, of which Universe 25 was the largest...

>journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/00359157730661p202

The more you read about it the shadier it becomes, there's some comments towards the end seemingly implying that the mice were fed steroids, yet I can't find any reference to type or dosage in the talk itself. Now I'll be the first to admit I'm no expert in this, but give how roids can cause aggression humans, it doesn't seem like a great leap to suppose that perhaps this is an explanation of the increased agression of the mice.

In the end this looks like an incredibly poorly conducted study, I wouldn't even trust it to proved detailed information on mice, let alone humans.

The Human Zoo examines the nature of civilized society, especially in the cities. Morris compares the human inhabitants of a city to the animal inhabitants of a zoo, which have their survival needs provided for, but at the cost of living in an unnatural environment. Humans in their cities, and animals in their zoos, both have food and shelter provided for them, and have considerable free time on their hands. But they have to live in an unnatural environment, and are both likely to have problems in developing healthy social relationships, both are liable to suffer from isolation and boredom, and both live in a limited amount of physical space. The book explains how the inhabitants of cities and zoos have invented ways to deal with these problems, and the consequences that follow when they fail at dealing with them.

From this point of view, Morris examines why civilized society is the way it is. He offers explanations of the best and the worst features of civilized society. He examines the magnificent achievements of civilized society, the sublime explorations that make up science and the humanities, as well as the horrible behaviors of this same society such as war, slavery, and rape. This book, and Morris's earlier book The Naked Ape, are two of the early works in the field of sociobiology, which have both contributed much to contemporary understandings of society.

XD

So, basically you don't like it so you're gonna ignore all its findings. Either that or you're a le contrarian that's is so smart and above it all.

Come back to Veeky Forums when you're done with middle school, bucko.

Given that the Neolithic Revolution has allowed people to do more than just look for their next meal for all 16 waking hours of the day, and develop technology, medicine, and culture, most people would say that returning to a hunter-gatherer culture is just a tad regressive.

Yes, I'm going to ignore a poorly designed, poorly constructed, poorly controlled study. I'm certainly not going to draw any vast conclusions about human behaviour from it, which, if you'd read that link you see people saying.

But then to understand that you'd have to have a basic grounding in science. Which you clearly don't have.

Pretty badly written article to be honest. Where the fuck is the abstract?

Sounds like the conditions were pretty awful as well. Wouldn't surprise me if the population decline was due to this. They've drawn some pretty elaborate conclusions given the evidence.

I'd love to be able to repeat this experiment. Maybe I'll build my own mouse utopia in my garden.

relevant links

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_B._Calhoun

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavioral_sink

I like the movie that was spun of it.