Quantum Computing

Have we even built a real quantum computer yet?

Other urls found in this thread:

scottaaronson.com/blog/?p=2555
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

China did. They're using it to transmit information to their satellites.

IBM have one with 5 qubits, Google have one with 9-11 qubits (or at least they're close to, I can't remember). D-Wave have a quantum annealer and I think they're pretty sure it does use quantum stuff somewhere, either way there's some speed up over the classical equivalent to what it's doing.

ahhh mine bepis

That's quantum cryptography, it's quantum info but not computing.

Next question, then. Has anyone successfully implemented and gotten correct results back from Shor's algorithm?

There really doesn't seem to be any real speedup with D-wave, actually. (see scottaaronson.com/blog/?p=2555 for an overview)

Yes, but only for factoring 15.

Yeah that's been done with NMR quantum computing iirc. They've done it up to like 21 but that technology isn't scalable so it's not being pursued any more. Other implementations have probably done it too, I don't know specific examples though.

I heard that there was a speedup but it was only by a constant factor and only compared to classical annealing.

I'll have to read that blog post again.

Basically, there was a constant-factor speedup compared to one algorithm for classical annealing, but no speedup at all compared to a more efficient classical algorithm for the same problem.

That's the one.

Still, it's kind of cool that it's doing *something* quantum, although I do think they kind of jumped the gun with building full on machines at the stage the field is at.

>implying classical computers don't btfo mementum "computers"

No, but lots of fakes will babble they have; or they're really, really, really close and if we only give him or her more money, they'll find the answer.
They've been saying this about cancer for decades...just a little more money and we'll cure stupid (cancer from ignorant lifestyle choices).

They're already treatments for cancer using out of patent medicines.

Also a scientist with a phd claimed the government already had classified quantum computing.

>Also a scientist with a phd claimed the government already had classified quantum computing.
Source?

No.

Redpill me on quantum computers.
Also a quick rundown.

depends on what you mean by "real" and what you mean by "quantum computer".

Fbi here. Who the fuck.

Sauce?

Total bullshit. It is impossible. Believe me.

lol no keep dreaming, computers are as good as they will ever get mores law is finished you retards.

A quantum computer is basically an attempt at recreating what the human brain does naturally, except with being able to control the algorithms/calculations/destination in mind.

The trouble here though is that a lot of people focus on quantum computers 'getting US somewhere' without realizing that said quantum computer would have to be able to relay its information to us.

Basically if we input 'How to save humanity', would we even listen to its output? When you introduce moral/ethical concerns there will still be SOME humans that will argue against it, so essentially for a QC to give an answer it would have to do so at the most frictionless level. Basically like being SUPER politically correct in today's current climate OR it would have to change the climate so it could accept the reply.

The trouble is that everyone always wants faster/bigger this and that and assumes that everyone wants the same thing for the same reason.

To me a QC is like an automated factory: Intellectuals are tired of thinking and want someone else to do it for them.

PROTIP: Everytime you click 'I'm not a robot' in the captcha, you help an A.I. become a little less like a robot.

Actually, if I were a half-intelligent google engineer I would code the captcha to record posts of a certain word density off Veeky Forums (a site with high throughput/entropy of information exchange) and store that in a relational database for future use when the processing power to disseminate natural language exchange between 'unknown' parties arises.

I'm not a robot -> beep boop. Hello Google.