Are non-stick pans a meme?

Are non-stick pans a meme?

They either don't work, or they do work and last about two weeks and become like normal shitty pans.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qiTcrVMbxYM
youtu.be/1zlZDL4Ga4k?t=133
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

start with the cast irons

Mine always last longer than that. Though they do have a shelf life after so much use. Don't use metal on the surface, it will tear up the coating. I keep one in the house, easy to cook eggs on vs stainless

have you tried not scrubbing your non-stick pans with steel wool

If they only last two weeks you're doing something very wrong. Too much heat, the wrong utensils, etc.

I used to get about 1.5 years out of the cheap ones (T-fal, etc.). I switched to Eagleware from the restaurant supply store and I'm currently on year 5 and the pan is still going strong, and that's with daily use (often more than once per day).

is this some kind of meme

Naah, you just don't know how to use them.
I have been using one for 3 years now for almost every day and it still works fine. Not a scratch.

1: Do not heat them full blast, they are not good at searing anyhow.
2:Do not use metal utensils, plastic or wood only.
3:They are usually thin aluminium, don't cool it too fast.

If this is too much work for you, just stick to steel and cast-iron.

2 weeks is what I used to get from the expensive ones (eagleware). But about five years ago I got a cheap one from Walmart and haven't looked back.

Keep in mind, I use it pretty much everyday. Sometimes even multiple uses per day.

I thought my first post failed so I posted again. I'll delete the original.

No, those are just people who actually know how to use a non-stick pan without ruining it. If OP is only getting weeks out one, he's doing something wrong.

My shit chinese non sticks are still going strong

plastic spatulas only
never use a fork to stir something in the pan
throw water in the hot pan to "steam clean" it and then wipe it out with dawn and it should be clean effortlessly.
and dont use them if you have pet birds indoors

Your heat is probably too high, try cooking at a lower temperature for a longer time.

If you know nothing else about cooking, know this: on a pan, low and slow is always best, unless you're searing something.

>>low and slow is always safest

I fixed that for you. If you're sweating veggies on low heat it will work but it takes forever. If you're searing, sauteing, or sitr-frying then low heat is useless. And since those are all very common cooking techniques I have a hard time agreeing with low and slow being "always" best.

They're a versatile tool, and good if you know how to take care of them, i.e. not throw a cast iron pan on top of them in a cabinet; not use metal utensils on them; not scrub them with steel wool; not scorch them on high heat empty.
I've had a T-Fal pan for almost 3 years now and I don't see any loss in the non-stick coating, and it's probably my 2nd most used pan after my stainless skillet.

I just ordered a Lodge cast iron pan and an Demeyere proline (Atlantis) after burning up the coating from my 4 year old titanium coated meme pan. Did I do good?

So in my opinion it is like this: Coated pans are mostly good for fish and eggs and potentially other low to medium heat dishes. So basically a very small coated pan should be sufficient for most households.
For everything else that requires high heat like meat, coated pans are pretty useless if not all out dangerous, because the coating will end up in your food to some extent and it's mostly toxic. Also you can't make nice pan sauces because the fond wont stick to the pan.

I think the only reason coated pans are used by most people as main pans is because of advertisement and bad customer knowledge.

>Did I do good?

Yes, those are both great. Especially the Demeyre.

>>coated pans are pretty useless if not all out dangerous, because the coating will end up in your food to some extent and it's mostly toxic

That's not really true. The coating doesn't break down until very high temperatures. At that point your food would be charred and burnt so you'd be unlikely to eat it.

>>Also you can't make nice pan sauces because the fond wont stick to the pan.
That is very true.

IMHO it's a case of different tools for different jobs.
Nonstick pans for foods that stick easily.
Stainless for when you want to create a fond for later deglazing & making pan sauces
Cast Iron for high-heat use like searing, stir-fry. CI is also great for use inside the oven; the black color soaks up oven heat better than a shiny pan.

> last about two weeks and become like normal shitty pans.

Stop scuffing the surface up.
That means no metal utensils, no putting it in the dishwasher, no stacking it under six other pans without at least a felt or silicone protector, and no scouring it with abrasive pads.

I stopped using non stick when my father killed a bird that belonged to a neighbor, we were watching this parrot and my dumb father left a non stick pan on the burner too long and the smoke killed the thing a day later.

I use stainless steel now and nothing sticks to it at the right temp, stuff only sticks to a pan if it isn't hot enough.

>stuff only sticks to a pan if it isn't hot enough.
Yeah, sure

I usually just cook all my stuff on a stick over an open flame.

If you hit the handle (so the pan moves forward) with the palm of your hand once you've put whatever you want to put in a steel pan, it'll not stick.

It's mah no stick trick

>my dumb father left a non stick pan on the burner too long

Your dumb father cooks with the heat too high, teflon gasses out fluoride around 500 degrees.

Ceramic nonstick is better anyway.

>That's not really true. The coating doesn't break down until very high temperatures.
I think most of the pans shouldn't be heated over 3/4 heat whatever that means. Of course the coating wont break down if you overheat one time a little bit. But you still risk inhaling toxic fumes and add unhealthy shit into your food from time to time. It just happens even if you are careful, if such a pan is used as main pan.
I'm not sure how it's in other countries, but where I live it's pretty hard to even find non coated pans. Most people use them for everything and chronically overheat them. It's certainly not life threatening bad, but somewhat sad especially because more classic pans would save you money over the years even if you buy pro meme brands.

>They either don't work, or they do work and last about two weeks and become like normal shitty pans.
Buy a pan that has a very heavy thick bottom on it. It protects the pan from the temperature changes that can ruin (scorch) the teflon coating, or warp the pan letting the coating also get damaged. If you hit a pan with cold water, then quit that. If you use a fork or something quick and easy rather than a less abrasive utensil to flip or remove items, quit that. Try some silicone spoon=scraper to move around eggs, instead. Avoid high heat where you aren't using the entire bottom of the pan, such that a center item is surrounded by more than 2 inches of unused pan. If that is you often, buy a smaller pan and then use the pan that fits the job.

A mismatched high quality nonstick can sometimes be found at places like Marshalls. I've gotten decent ones at Costco too.

I'm going to say it lasts about a year before any damage, with really frequent (ie daily) use.

>I think most of the pans shouldn't be heated over 3/4 heat whatever that means.

It means nothing. The temperature of the pan depends on how long it's sitting there. Even on medium or low heat an empty pan can overheat, it just takes longer. Knob settings are power output, not temperatures.

If you have liquid in the pan then you can crank the heat up to max and it will never get above 100C as long as it hasn't boiled dry.

Just don't do this:

and rather do this:

also inform yourself about how to season your pan. Cast iron and stainless steel need some maintenance for them to work properly.

sorry fucked up the first link, don't do this:
youtu.be/1zlZDL4Ga4k?t=133

I guess the main problem with his technique is, that he didn't season the pan and the he used olive oil (extra virgin of all thing). Please do not cook with olive oil.

Non-stick pans are a waste of time, 9 out of 10 times you need a non-stick is for that perfect sunny side up egg and you might aswell just cook that on a piece of baking paper in a regular pan.

>Cook eggs on parents' Teflon all the time when I was younger
>Always comes out perfect, easy peasy
>Move in with my pretentious cousin who only uses cast iron and refuses to allow Teflon cookware in the house because >muh toxic fumes
>Eggs always make an enormous mess unless pan is so hot they're already burnt by the time you're done pouring them in
>Can't soak them in soap to get the eggs out, have to scrub the shit out of them

Cast iron is the real meme here.

Dude, seriously. Pan, baking paper, egg, low heat.

Try it.

What's the point of having fancy ass pan if you're gonna need a non-stick intermediary anyway? Might as well just get a basic non stick for your eggs and be done with it.

What's the big deal? I don't see what he did wrong, shit still came out as scrambled eggs so who cares.

They're good for when you want everything you cook to turn out like garbage.

I've been using an Ikea Kavalkad, a $4 pan for over a year and it's still working fine. What the hell are you people using to scrape the surfaces, pickaxes and chisels?

>using a pan like a pleb

eggo masterrace here

that poor pan and spatula
Guess the guy likes lots of steel dust in his eggs

Calling things memes is a meme

he just had the heat way the fuck up

pan was way too hot

>mfw when non-stick fags can't use a hot a pan without fucking up their shit
>mfw non-stick fags can't use normal kitchen utensils without fucking up their shit
>mfw non-stick fags are ingesting teflon and giving themselves (more) brain damage every time they eat
>mfw non-stick fags have to buy a completely new set of cookware every year or less because their shit is getting fucked up