So i've been reading lots of different philosophers from the early greeks to now and I was wondering if there is any...

So i've been reading lots of different philosophers from the early greeks to now and I was wondering if there is any flaw in this type of thinking that is described in pic related.

Every time I took shrooms or LSD I was agreeing with pic related, but I don't know what's real anymore

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GOL5RTd-WDk
slatestarcodex.com/2015/08/28/mysticism-and-pattern-matching/
slatestarcodex.com
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

(William James on Nitrous Oxide)

It is impossible to convey an idea of the torrential character of the identification of opposites as it streams through the mind in this experience. I have sheet after sheet of phrases dictated or written during the intoxication, which to the sober reader seem meaningless drivel, but which at the moment of transcribing were fused in the fire of infinite rationality. God and devil, good and evil, life and death, I and thou, sober and drunk, matter and form, black and white, quality and quantity, shiver of ecstasy and shudder of horror, vomiting and swallowing, inspiration and expiration, fate and reason, great and small, extent and intent, joke and earnest, tragic and comic, and fifty other contrasts figure in these pages in the same monotonous way. The mind saw how each term belonged to its contrast through a knife-edge moment of transition which it effected, and which, perennial and eternal, was the nunc stans of life. The thought of mutual implication of the parts in the bare form of a judgement of opposition as "nothing -- but," "no more -- than," "Only -- if," etc. produced a perfect delirium of theoretic rapture. And at last, when defininte ideas to work on came slowly, the mind went through the mere form of recognizing sameness in identity by contrasting the same word with itself, differently emphasized, or shorn of its initial letter. Let me transcribe a few sentences:

What's mistake but a kind of take?
What's nausea but a kind of -usea?
Sober, drunk, -unk, astonishment.
Everything can become the subject of criticism -- how criticise without something to criticise?
Agreement -- disagreement!!
Emotion -- motion!!!
By God, how that hurts! By God, how it doesn't hurt! Reconciliation of two extremes.
By George, nothing but othing!
That sounds like nonsense, but it's pure onsense!
Thought much deeper than speech...!
Medical school; divinity school, school! SCHOOL! Oh my God, oh God; oh God!

My conclusion is that the togetherness of things in a common world, the law of sharing, of which I have said so much, may, when perceived, engender a very powerful emotion; that Hegel was so unusually succeptible to this emotion; throughout his life that its gratification became his supreme end, and made him tolerably unscrupulous as to the means he employed; that indifferentism is the true outcome of every view of the world which makes infinity and continuity to be its essence, and that pessimistic or optimistic attitudes pertain to the more accidental subjectivity of the moment; finally, that the identification of contradictories, so far from being the self-developing process which Hegel supposes, is really a self-consuming process, passed from the less to the more abstract, and terminating either in a laugh at the ultimate nothingness, or in a mood of vertiginous amazement at a meaningless infinity.

terrible writing

>brother of

>muh we are all god, our true nature
>muh do not harm other people because we are all the same

This is cute and it is actually what normies cling to when these who are gifted go deep in meditation, even after the pleasure, the joy, the bliss have faded, what remains is what normies call ''oceanic awareness'', meaning no-self but just life. Even worse, normies think that this is the pinnacle of life and they even fear of going beyond this state (because they imagine that death is beyond this step)

So no, you are not this ''oceanic awareness'' and even carrying about this is what makes you unhappy (because it is not a permanent state). Once you see the dhamma, you understand this.

This fantasy from normies of selflessness, pure devotion, pure connected and even worse some moral necessity is at the heart of being a normie, because it is their ultimate fantasy. It is quite difficult to destroy, unless you know what to look for.
The good news is that it is a good place to see the dhamma, if you get there not by drugs, but by meditation.

-stop drugs
-meditate
-learn the dhamma

>going to effect other people
>effect

Strawman fallacy

"revelations" on lsd or drugs are just random bullshit that doesn't mean anything
you cant have any revelations about metaphysics on drugs, only yourself

youtube.com/watch?v=GOL5RTd-WDk

Bodhinyana Buddhist Monastery - Coming Home to Stillness & Peace

ajahn bhram shows his little cave

If you weren't already a drippy hippy you wouldn't be taking those kinds of drugs. You already agreed with those sentiments before you got high, and you conflate getting ripped with philosophizing because you had heard of Huxley doing it or something.

I've done a lot of drugs and I know better than most people the kind of strong and usually positive emotions they induce, but feels

thanks dorian i've read the old testament twice have you read it no

slatestarcodex.com/2015/08/28/mysticism-and-pattern-matching/

Here's a good explanation. It might not be correct but it's a theory that works. Basically your pattern-matching faculties were spazzing out because of the drugs.

Once on LSD, I asked myself "Does god exist" and after some thoughts I came to the conclusion that neither YES nor NO is the right answer. Even the question itself doesn't make any sense.
Unfortunately, I'm not articulate enough to describe it in a comprehensive way. Maybe a close allegory would be when you have to make a decision and there are 2 options to choose from. However, none are perfect. The best way is a 3rd one, unknown to you because it requires to look at the world with a kind of logic that is too hard to grasp.
Maybe the LSD took away a filter in the conscious mind, a filter which is optimized for our everyday life but not really helpful for abstract philosophical concepts.

>If you weren't already a drippy hippy you wouldn't be taking those kinds of drugs.
Bullshit. I'm a fedora tier smug skeptic fuck, but my favourite drugs are trips because they make me feel like Sterling Archer.

Basically everyone I know who trips regularly is the same. Hippies don't trip often because "it's too intense maaan" "it's not a toy maaan" and other bullshit, they trip like once year in their room by themselves and they never actually go out and get fucked and have fun while tripping.

>you can't have any revelations about metaphysics on drugs, only yourself

>implying the two arent directly related

Interesting article user, thanks for posting.

lol keep making stuff up loser

>slatestarcodex.com
Kek, I remember his post about poly-amory. The comments were straight outta /pol/ and /r9k/.

You have to realize that the Greeks believed this too, they were just way more intelligent and homogenous in their race and religious practice than we are today. God is One, One is All, You Are One. The modern term for this way of thinking is "complexity theory," among other buzzwords.

The Greeks lived as Buddha suggests, in Living Worship. The trees, the stream, the ground they walked upon was Alive with the "spirits" of Gods, nymphs, ect. They recognized the Divine One in All Things and made up type-forming mythology to pass along the lessons to their people. There is no separation between you and Reality, OP.

>that quote

So is he vegan?

I forgot to add, that the reason the Greeks are so different from PIC related in OP is because in addition to their underlying "universalist" beliefs, they also recognized the hierarchy among animals, and knew that some people were inherently better than others. Both "Good," and "Great," is how they describe the best of people, and mind you, they are always Beautiful.

There's no place for cognitive dissonance in a brain fried by drugs.

Have you ever gone overboard?

>This writing is extremely profound and practically nullifies any reason for any of my writing let alone all of it to exist, what can I possibly due to trick myself into feeling good about myself, or at the very least get a (you) or two
>terrible writing

I forgot how to speak for about four hours once. Well I knew how to speak but the words coming out of my mouth weren't matching the ones I was trying to say so I stopped.

Another time I thought I pissed myself, I was really angry and ran to the toilet to clean myself up and on the way I actually pissed myself because I forgot to hold it in because I thought I already had. It was pretty funny. This may have had to do with the copious amounts of alcohol I had drunk as well.

Another time I thought I was a girl.

All of the above were enjoyable and hilarious experiences. The only bad time I've ever had was not being able to sleep after everyone else had already crashed.

Ok, well I guess im happy for your sake you have never been overboard

(you seemed to be making fun of people who treated such substances with caution, do you just not understand how powerful they can be, because all your experiences pretty much could have occurred to teenagers after a few brewskis?)

Then there is the possibility that the power of the aeffect, even a smaller quantity can have some proportional relation to the quantity (and quality) of information in an injestees mind, vividness of thought and memories, and the potential creative powers of their imagination and thought processes

holy shit that pic is new-age garbage

When I took dxm I saw life flowing through the universe as if a chemical reaction. I realized that it's simply an entropic cascade. Because, without it you've got all these untapped chemical potential energies, and only once a several billion years maybe a single star will obtain the necessary reactivity. That coupled with interstellar travel, the action of biological beings should have an effect worthy of a law of physical cosmology.

I would hypothesize that there are regions of space dense enough that the coefficient of biological activity is indeed significant (on a cosmic scale).

When it came to interconnection, it struck me that all of humanity is a single organism. The individual is rather unimportant, and if cut off from society, will usually die. Most discoveries take thousands of years to mature; most genotypes are incomplete; most phenotypes are at least fifty-thousand years old. We are not doing anything that ancient peoples were biologically incapable of doing. We are nothing new. At the most we are automatons created by rival and competing programs that exist purely as expression of natural law. I doubt human sentience.

Neoplatonism

Read Neoplatonism now.

>do you just not understand how powerful they can be
I understand exactly how powerful they can be, those were the only examples I can think of that could possible be construed negatively. My most powerful experiences have been overwhelmingly positive so I wouldn't call them overboard. "Overboard" implies that it was negative or accidental.

>who treated such substances with caution
Their fault for being fags.

There's this common idea that God - the basal thing - has to temporarily disintegrate somehow and then reawaken once all the shards have put themselves back together through the sheer pull of their immanent Godhood, in order to prove that its basal position is not accidental or merely relative next to its refractions, in order to prove that immortality is not a contractual exemption but a complete transcendence of complete death.

Woah take it easy Ludwig

It's only half the picture. Being without nothing in its core is worthless