Tfw actually no motivation to read whatsoever

>tfw actually no motivation to read whatsoever
>tfw pretty sure you have ADHD
>tfw terrible memory

feels bad man

the internet ruined your attention span some might say.

you could also say that the internet is objectively superior in keeping ape attention to scribbled dead trees.

That sounds right desu, I'm 19 so I can't remember a time without the internet, so convenient to just keep multiple tabs open at once and flick between them

What should I do? Just force myself to read until I get used to it?

good idea. nice trips.

you could attempt some form of media fasting. going internet free for a week or so for example, but i don't know how practical that is for you.

Always remember to take your dextroamphetamines.

You're not missing out on anything. Books are overrated

k

Reading is like any activity: in order to do it more, you need the requisite "muscles" to have the right strength and endurance. Unless you've specifically avoided any/all kinds of text on the internet, then I don't think it's given you ADHD or specifically ruined your ability to read.

Rather, since you've likely just been reading short and relatively easy to read texts (articles, Veeky Forums posts, etc. etc.), the "muscles" you use to read have atrophied (or, if you're young enough, they never fully developed).

All you have to do is read more.

As for memory, it's directly tied to language and reading. So, you just have to add more language to what you're reading: ask yourself comprehension questions, for instance. Pause and say, "What did the author mean by this word or this phrase?" Think about foreshadowing; think about the reasons why an author would make such-and-such choice about location, character description, dialogue, dialect, sentence length, paragraph length, chapter length, etc.

You don't need to ask all of those questions all the time, obviously. Still, they add more dimension to what you're reading, which makes remembering easier.

>get a fucking job
>abstain from masturbation for a while
>block distracting sites in the hosts file
>smoke weed
>workout
>take omega-3 supplements (fish oil)
>read slow man, start with 10 pages/day
>tfw getting your shit together is always the first step
>you're just worked up dude

>I'm 19
Read an easy book like Siddhartha and use the internet less. Yes you are addicted and yes it is limiting how productive you are.

>never learn patience
>Have zero patience
>Never apply yourself and learn anything beyond the surface level
>Float through life as a shadow of a person

Thanks friend

>Just force myself to read until I get used to it?

Not just that, but actually pick a book you're genuinely interested in reading (and not just because of its meme status), and go someplace peaceful and quiet like a library or a park to read. Don't bring your cellphone.

>smoke weed
nice meme

>smoke weed
yeah no

hell ya smoke weed dude hahahahahh blaze it all day leviticus to revelations noobs

Why the fuck would smoking weed benefit his concentration and memory problems?

I smoke weed myself, but how does that fit in?

How would you describe your possible ADHD?

This is the biggest thing. Just ignore all lit advice about what to read and grab something that interests you.

Personally I can't get into books just because someone says they are good or 'required reading'. It HAS to be something I am interested in.

Also stop playing vidya. That helped me with more than just reading.

This is everyone. Luckily, Veeky Forumserature is genuinely the best stuff out there, so you'll naturally like it.

>smonk weede

DROPPED

But if OP finds they just want to read Harry Potter at first I say don't be ashamed, whatever gets you into reading. Most of us got to start at a young age with easy shit. The guy shouldn't be pressured into reading Veeky Forumserature straight away.

That's what I'm agreeing with.

I have ADHD and I read a lot. I get distracted and have to reread all the time except when I am "in the zone." If you are having trouble finding motivation to read, you should probably find a better book.

read a good book.

I recommend The Fountainhead

This book is for losers.
Perfect choice for OP.
Also, check out Crime and Punishment.

Why is the fountainhead a book for losers?

You are completely spooked.

>get a job
>smoke weed
>workout
>get your life together

You are banality in a post.

>pretty sure you have ADHD

Yeah everyone's got that