What do I need to know before I read David Hume?

What do I need to know before I read David Hume?

Hume's actually pretty clear and accessible. Just start reading him.

Okay, cool. I was just wondering if I needed to read any works on empiricism before I read his refutation of it.

He sometimes looked like a royal fortunate teller maid hand and sometimes in ways he was

I think you mean David Whom.

Hume says you should live a certain way even though he didn't, and defends this by saying "lol I'm a philosopher"

>his refutation of it
He's an empiricist. Just a very sceptical one.

He's a sophist like Protagoras.

>>8706363
You really should read Locke and Berkeley first.

Read Sophist's Protagoras and Theaetetus

Is there anyone I should read before reading Locke and Berkeley?

Descartes

He was so fat that he had to be excused of bowing before nobility.

Read Thomas Hobbe after

and before descartes plato so basically start off with the greeks. I would also throw in Leibniz and spinoza since Hume's main rub is against the rationalists

Tbh Discourse on the method is such an extremely lucid and clear text that it can be read by anyone with a negligible knowledge of philosophy.

Schopenhauer said you'd learn more from a page of Hume than Hegel's entire corpus.

what's up with the hat?

What's wrong with it? I think he looks faboulous

you're right it can be read, but can it be understood fully? what's the point of reading anything philosophical if you don't wish to understand its ideas. Hume's main argument is against the principle of sufficent reason, to understand his argument fully and its implications you have to understand the principle of sufficent reason and its implications fully which is why I said one should read the rationalists.

It's not just about reading it's about engaging with ideas no?

Depends,if you haven't read Aristotle,Plato,Sextus Empiricus,J.Locke,G.Berkeley and the rationalists,you won't fully understand it,but it's fairly readable.

>Hume says you should live a certain way

Why do so many people confuse description for prescription? Especially when it comes to Hume.