Books that have improved your life

This book has brought me out of depression multiple times. It's both frank and comforting.

What are some books that have helped you?

ON WOMEN BY SCHOPENHAUER LOL

Stop being a narcissistic cunt and grow up. Sage.

art of worldly wisdom by baltasar gracian

Can you expand on the "narcissistic cunt" part of your comment? Also, what, in your mind constitutes being "grown up"?

>art of worldly wisdom
Thanks user. Was Gracian an 17th century Eckhart Tolle or something?

Don't know about the narcissist cunt part, but as far as growing up its often seen in a lot of adolescent males to suppress their emotions by feigning stoicism.
My experience with meditations was similar in a way, that when I read it, it helped me through depression, and I felt as though I could fill the void of emotion with duty.
As I grew I realized that its better to express your emotions, and sure while it is admirable to maintain composure in stressful/heartbreaking moments, to hold yourself back is burdening. Its a tough case to make, I know, but you're gonna feel better once you start screaming with excitement and laughing and crying and everything instead of just limiting yourself to stoic emptiness. Its common to succumb to murky disdain under the stoic guidance, don't be a condescending shmuck who no one can relate to.
That being said, Marcus says a lot of good things in there, about duty and purpose, and the attitudes toward meeting each day. I recall him mentioning something like meeting each morning like the deer, and just getting out of bed so you can live, and while its easier to just sit there tired, you gotta get up.
Also note that Marcus Aurelius did lots of drugs and sat around fucking boys after his children died and when he wrote this. Theres a lot of argument on whether he was a dutiful worker, or just another Lotus Eater.

idk if you're the person who posted the original comment. Regardless of prior posting, thank you for the insightful response. I found the book more applicable to my work/ambitions than to my life as a whole. I'm a social person, and don't consider myself emotionally stifled. The depression I experience comes and goes, and is more of the low-energy, low-motivation/interest type than a "woe is me" existential distress kind.

I'm just trying to find ways to pick myself up, and avoid negative thinking during the weeks that I am in a bit of a mental/physical rut.

Such an underrated gem of a book. Probably goes way over the head of the self-help types.

What edition of the book would you recommend?

I do not know if it has "improved" my life, but reading this was cathartic in some way.

I did something similar. When I was younger a sense of duty excused me from taking risks and enjoying life. Then I had a breakdown and became a romantic adventurer. It's a lot more fun and it's made me more ambitious as a result.

>Every kind of love, however ethereal it may seem to be, springs entirely from the instinct of sex;

Stopped reading there.

checked

Adolescent stoicism actually has helped me later in life. Being serious and stoic when I was a teen has helped me remain calm in situations when calm is needed. While being emotionless 100% is unarguably unhealthy, learning to suppress emotion when it's necessary is a vital skill.

>allowing yourself to be cucked by the neurochemical Jew

Unique and its Own.

It's fucking rad man. Why would you deny the feeling of pleasure and pain?

Who is "the neurochemical Jew"?

Heebie the Heroin dealer.

Serotonin

What about Adrenaline, Oxytocin, Melatonin, Cortisol, and Dopamine?

Memes. All of them

Your life is a meme.

You're going to find that 95% of the population (of your demographic) feel the same way, and you're going to find that no matter how hard you try to have a conversation about it with them, it won't work.

But the chemicals trust the other chemicals to type that?

Pssshhh you're just a collection of waves emanating from a source and being focused by my senses into a coherent virtual image that exists inside of my mind and is categorized using chemical tags as a human based on the chemical response your waves induce in me ....

bitch!