What are some good questions for a socratic seminar on Heart of Darkness?

What are some good questions for a socratic seminar on Heart of Darkness?

>socratic seminar
lel what
Isn't that basically a class discussion? lmaaaao

Anyway ask about how whatshisname's journey into the jungle is allegorical for modern man's desperate search for meaning or something idk

bring up how T. S. Eliot originally wanted to open The Waste Land with a quote from Heart of Darkness but Ezra thought that was unbefitting a poem of such stature

it'll cause a ruckus

What do you mean by socratic seminar? Do you mean socratic dialogue?

is that real lol
the modernists had such qt relationships

He pseudo quoted it at the end of The Hollow Men.

"Mistah Kurtz, he dead."

We have class discussions and we need to prepare good questions to discuss.

Discuss the relationships between the environments(the Congo and England) and the people and how those environments affected the people according to Conrad, and Conrad's implications of man, environment, and the heart of darkness.

ask what Conrad could have been thinking when he wrote a revisionist book with the completely ridiculous notion of a barbarian European taking over an advanced culture in africa, full of kangs and shit.

I had to read this book in high school and it was very difficult and it's like less than a hundred pages

Ask them "Why are we reading a book that's so WACIST" Then shoot up the classroom.

has describing colonialism ever made a change in the way nations conduct themselves?

no. but keep wallowing about it gorgeous descriptions of how evil colonialism is, because pointing at the problem is always easier than trying to solve it.

Why is the imagery of white and light given to the finacee back in Europe negative?

Being unintelligent must make life awfully difficult

What are the implications of Kurtz's last words?

What is the significance of the breaks in Marlow's narrative?

Are these breaks related to Marlow's inability to give a proper report of Kurtz's speech?

Does this say anything about the ability of authors/storytellers (Kurtz, Marlow, Conrad) to give truthful or full accounts?

I was 15

As are most teenagers when they read it.

I don't know what to tell you his writing is really boring

Epic.

I'm not trolling.
I don't really remember the book beyond the basic plot I just remember it being very thick and boring

>Look at how smart I am

Why does reading it feel like trudging through molasses? The more I read, the more I felt like the story and time itself stared to run backwards, but it had nowhere to run, nothing to expand into, and it steadily swelled into this implosive turgid clump.

Because you suck at reading.

ask why you have to read British propaganda
Leopold II did nothing wrong , he just made the native population handy in resource management.

This is all pretty good stuff for a pleb like me who only read it for the first time because 'lol apocalypse now'. Going to re-read soon and actually use my brain.

Narrative perspective in heart of darkness is told through the point of view of someone listening to a story that Marrow is telling. You can talk about the descriptions of the 2 settings the story in Africa, on the Congo, and the meta-setting of England, on the Thames river and their juxtaposition in the story.