Startup Serves Up Chicken Produced From Cells in Lab

wsj.com/articles/startup-to-serve-up-chicken-strips-cultivated-from-cells-in-lab-1489570202?tesla=y&mod=e2fb

>A Bay Area food-technology startup says it has created the world’s first chicken strips grown from self-reproducing cells without so much as ruffling a feather.

>Scientists, startups and animal-welfare activists believe the new product could help to revolutionize the roughly $200 billion U.S. meat industry. Their goal: Replace billions of cattle, hogs and chickens with animal meat they say can be grown more efficiently and humanely in stainless-steel bioreactor tanks.

>They call it “clean meat,” a spin on “clean energy,” and they argue the technique would help the food industry avoid the costs of grain, water and waste-disposal associated with livestock.

Is this the future of Veeky Forums's favorite dish?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GJeWrA8j1M0
authoritynutrition.com/wild-vs-farmed-salmon/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I wonder, if vegans are against animal products because of cruelty to animals, it would be ethically consistent to have access to eating these, correct?

>give me one tyrannosaur steak and some brachiosaur tendies

That's how some vegans I know feel, while others are as disgusted by lab grown meat as animal sourced meat. As a meat eater, I would be happy to eat lab grown meat if it's safe and less resource intensive than "real" meat.

It would be wrong to not eat it. If you support these companies they are more likely to succeed and an overhaul of the livestock industry will happen more quickly.

Don't try to apply logic to veganism. You'd have to literally be insane to think that you can live a healthy lifestyle by eating things that never had a face or breathed and avoiding all form of vicarious guilt associated with the production of food.

That being said, there will certainly be brain-dead activists ready to shut this down for one of a million retarded readons.

I guess. They would just need to have the FDA put on "Clean Meat" stamps on food.

>Lab grown tendies
WE'RE ALL GONNA MAKE IT.

is it.. still nutritionally identical to ideally raised meats?

The vegans I've seen on tumblr mostly seem to hate it. They say that:
Eating meat is unhealthy and unnatural, and that humans are natural herbivores/frugivores
Any form of meat-eating glamorizes and normalizes killing animals, and shouldn't be tolerated (some of the people who hold this sentiment say the same thing about soy meat-replacements)
Because the cells to start the process need to be taken from animals, it's still bad
That the money, labs and technology used to synthesize this stuff could be better-used elsewhere

more importantly, how's it taste, and are there potentially far more variations of flavor since like with traditionally sourced meat, I assume flavor is determined largely by what you feet the lab meat while it's growing

all the stupid fucks I deal with at work turn their noses up at farm raised salmon
I can't imagine how they'd handle lab-grown meat

isn't that more based on the difference in flavor because of what farmed fish are fed as opposed to what they eat in the wild?

FRANKENMEAT! FRANKENMEAT!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

But seriously, I'm for it. If it's cheaper and more plentiful, while still providing the same value, there's no legitimate reason to be against it.

No, they'd be against it since they wouldn't be as able to make themselves feel like they're better than non-vegans

>Tumblr

There's your problem, user.

Tumblr lives and breathes contrarianism. Something this new and exciting is going to get downvoted (or whatever the fuck they have over there) to shit.

farm raised salmon sucks though

>vegans
Sadly, their religous fervor trumps logic and reason

SOON..?

One would think that since it's grown in a lab and you have total control over the DNA that codes for protein and fat cell production you could synthesize any grade of meat you desire, at scale.

Synthetic kobe-marbled beef for $1.50/lbs here we come.

no, all the customers I ask legitimately believe the salmon is inferior in quality but not because of flavor. They don't even have a concrete reason as to why it's lower quality, it's just because "it's farmed". Same with shrimp.

it won't be vascularized ( blood vessels), don't think they've reached that point

Not to get all /pol/ up in here, but it's the same reason why Liberals are so hard to deal with.

There's no way to have a debate with someone who isn't open to having their world views changed.

you're so blind to the irony it's hilarious

Vegans buy phones made by slaves charged mostly by coal, oil, and nuclear. They eat foods that are destroying water tables and rainforests which require arable land, which is only a fifth of the Earth's land. They drive cars which burn oil; or maybe burn less oil, but require nonrenewable, destructively strip mined rare earth metals. They wear clothes made by children with bleeding fingers, and are probably proud it wasn't made in the USA.

Don't look for logic in that rabbit hole. 90% are looking for moral superiority and make it a part of their identity.

I wouldn't doubt if half them eat a little meat when no one's around.

>lives and breathes genuine retardation
ftfy

But again, Vegans are as Vegans are. Only a retard would live a life as a pure herbivore and decry everyone else for living as God intended.

t. vegan typing on his iMac in his wife's husband cuckshed

The first one seems blatantly false

The second one, I can see the logical extension of, since it places meat, and as such animals, as an extension of human consumption, comodifying their existence, if not practically with genetic foods, then principally,

The third one needs to be weighed on a net-benefits metric between the Status Quo where meat comes from animal, and the idealized genetic world. If you want to be consistent and realize the fact that the whole world won't turn vegan, then of the two options, genetics is the preferred option.

The last one is non-unique as fuck, as that could be applied to whatever. Why is the president funding X when it could be going to Y!? What's more is that this sort of field will be one that stems only more creation, as research can expand into new areas.

Probably because the lack of exercise in captive tanks vs. free-roaming salmon that usually migrate upstream against currents in the wild develops a difference in the fat/muscle ratio of the meat which negatively impacts the cooking time/temperature of cooking between the two with respect to texture.
ATK did a segment on it:
youtube.com/watch?v=GJeWrA8j1M0

Five degrees ends up making a world of difference.

The activists are the ones pushing this. We carnivores will have to stick together against the upcoming SJW assault. Fortunately, under the leadership of our glorious God-Emperor, we shall undoubtedly emerge victorious over the anemic SJW dipshits.

They're not wrong. Farm-raised salmon don't have the flavor of wild caught salmon, not even getting into the terrible sanitary conditions and all the chemicals and antibiotics dumped into their pens to keep them from dying.

Id like to read a study on why fat in salmon makes it worse but in beef it makes it better

There is an analogue to that in cultured meat techniques: the media in which tissues are grown must be very carefully maintained to properly stimulate growth, and boy is that a finicky task. However, the sterile conditions of such a laboratory are a far (the furthest!) cry from the environment in which fish are farmed. Since sanitary conditions have always been a point to consider in any farming situation, the question going forward is how will the quality of the lab environments, and the composition of the growth media be regulated?

??? r u srs?
the fat on salmon is the best part
especially from a nutritional perspective: one advantage of salmon over beef is how its lipid profile improves your omega3/omega6 ratio. discarding salmon fat directly negates that advantage.
in the same breath, i'll say i never discard beef fat because super tasty.
>inb4 fatass
>69kg hungry skeleton

Honestly someone needs to assassinate them before were legally required to eat this drek.

>To Read the Full Story, Subscribe or Sign In
Kys

There is mammoth flesh preserved well enough that we could use it as a cloning base. These startups aren't dreaming big enough.

No one can live up to their ethical principles entirely. At then end of the day everyone is some kind of hypocrite, or at least has to accept the cognitive dissonance between their intentions and the results of their actions. But all of us draw lines in the sand somewhere, regardless of whether or not they're actually that meaningful.

Like the other user said, it changes the cooking time and texture. Cooking fish is very delicate.

>don't think they've reached that point
God, the shit we're going to be capable of is amazing.

Wild salmon has a 1to1000 omega3 to omega6 ratio, which is healthy. But farmed salmon has 1 to 1000, basically making just a fatty piece of protein. source:
authoritynutrition.com/wild-vs-farmed-salmon/

wild has 1 to 100* my bad

I'm completely fine with all that nonsense as long as it's as nutritious if not more, tastes the same or better, is close in price or cheaper than real meat, and is widely available. I don't give a shit about the animals, but if it can be grown like that, in totally okay with eating it.

As a pescetarian, yes I would.

My vegan friend would also.

As someone who was practically raised on Veeky Forums, everything I do skirts the law in some way or another, and breaks it in some.

To me, eating meat is probably one of the least ethically "questionable" things I've done.