ITT: mindstimulating internet resources

ok Veeky Forums let's make a list of mind-stimulating internet resources. Either video, podcast, or text

I'll start with some classics:
>waking up with sam harris (podcast)
>waitbutwhy
>Kurzgesagt – In a Nutshell
>Quartz
>PBS related
>THUNK (really really underrated)
>Nerdwriter1
>TED

I'm not going to say scishow news because it has become really shallow and click baitish

Other urls found in this thread:

accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/nanamoli/PathofPurification2011.pdf
forecastpod.org/
youtube.com/user/JordanPetersonVideos
youtube.com/watch?v=Ixc9i1G7eew
youtu.be/sv17a0uIX2Y
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

mit ocw

Podcasts:
>Quirks and Quarks (CBC Radio)
>Radiolab
>The Infinite Monkey Cage (BBC)
>In Our Time: Science (BBC)
>99% Invisible

YouTube:
>Real Engineering
>3Blue1Brown
>engineerguy
>Sciencium

Text:
>Ars Technica's science section
>reddit.com/r/AskScience
>nautil.us

3Blue1Brown is awesome. Smooth animations

>Jordan B Peterson
>Gad Saad

fringe math videos with less than 200 views, or as I sometimes like to call it: spot the schizoid

my nigga

accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/nanamoli/PathofPurification2011.pdf

a few enticing pieces -

pg 399:

"One who wants to make the mind-made body should emerge from the basic jhána and first advert to the body in the way already described, and then he should resolve, “Let it be hollow.” It becomes hollow. Then he adverts to another body inside it, and having done the preliminary work in the way already described, he resolves, “Let there be another body inside it.” Then he draws it out like a reed from its sheath, like a sword from its scabbard, like a snake from its slough. Hence it is said: “Here a bhikkhu creates from this body another body possessing visible form, mind-made, with all its limbs, lacking no faculty. Just as though a man pulled out a reed from its sheath and thought thus: ‘This is the sheath; this is the reed; the sheath is one, the reed is another, it was from the sheath that the reed was pulled out’” (Paþis II 210), and so on. And here, just as the reed, etc., are similar to the sheath, etc., so too the mind-made visible form is similar to the possessor of supernormal power, and this simile is given in order to show that. This is success as the mind-made."

pg 394:

"He wields bodily mastery even as far as the Brahmá-world’: if this possessor of supernormal power, having reached mental mastery, wants to go to the Brahmá-world, though far, he resolves upon nearness, ‘Let it be near.’ [402] It is near. Though near, he resolves upon farness, ‘Let it be far.’ It is far. Though many, he resolves upon few, ‘Let there be few.’ There are few. Though few, he resolves upon many, ‘Let there be many.’ There are many. With the divine eye he sees the [fine-material] visible form of that Brahmá. With the divine ear element he hears the voice of that Brahmá. With the knowledge of penetration of minds he understands that Brahmá’s mind. If this possessor of supernormal power, having reached mental mastery, wants to go to the Brahmá-world with a visible body, he converts his mind to accord with his body, he resolves his mind to accord with his body. Having converted his mind to accord with his body, resolved his mind to accord with his body, he arrives at blissful (easy) perception and light (quick) perception, and he goes to the Brahmá- world with a visible body. If this possessor of supernormal power, having reached mental mastery, wants to go to the Brahmá-world with an invisible body, he converts his body to accord with his mind, he resolves his body to accord with his mind. Having converted his body to accord with his mind, resolved his body to accord with his mind, he arrives at blissful (easy) perception and light (quick) perception, and he goes to the Brahmá-world with an invisible body."

pg 398:

"When this possessor of supernormal power, while remaining here sees a visible object with the divine eye, hears a sound with the divine ear element, knows consciousness with the penetration of minds, he does not wield bodily power in doing that. And when, while remaining here, he stands with that Brahmá, converses, enters into communication with that Brahmá, he does not wield bodily power in doing that."

3blue1Brown and NileRed for the chembros

>3Blue1Brown
those videos are unique in the world I think

>>Real Engineering
Blue1Brown
very good choices!

Very specific topic, but if you're interested in Earth Science Michael White the editor of Nature run a podcast where he talks to bunch of earth scientists. The topics are very specific, and it's more for people in the field rather than the general audience.

forecastpod.org/

Well this is with exception of 2nd to last podcast, where he interviewed someone and their conversation peer off to gender discrimination in peer review. Other than that the podcast has been excellent to catch up with state of the art happenings in climate science

2/10 shitpost

what's wrong with you?

youtube.com/user/JordanPetersonVideos

>psychologist

?

Hah, I love Jordan Peterson.
His deconstruction of Pepe the frog together with a symbolist colleague was really thought provoking.
youtube.com/watch?v=Ixc9i1G7eew

He discussed for 2 hours with Sam Harris, not explaining to him that he used a particular usage of the word "truth" from his own spin on pragmatism. Sam clearly didn't have the background and Jordan didn't do anything against the derailing of the interview.
Not so clever imho. I guess he's fresh air in that he's right winged and can formulate a sentence well, but he's still unnecessarily drowning in some ideology

>he's right winged

I admit it's not a rigorous claim. Let me express it this way:
He's arguing against many points that were used by the Democrats to gain popularity (identity politics) and he's also a Christian apologetic.

sure, but a healthy dose of anti-Marxism is still far from 'right-winged'

especially when he was a member of one of the most far-left parties in canada

also it seemed like those 2 hours was exactly him explaining to sam and trying to defend his usage of a darwinian truth, which is why they never got past it

yeah, as I said I don't really mean right-winged, just those feats I listed

They could have easily introduced two "tagged" truths, i.e. two words.
Because clearly Jordan understands Sams truth, he just doesn't accept it as the capital T truth.
I also don't go with Sam Harris notion of truth, but for completely different reason (namely language issues and non-believe in truth values. I'm very much for an ever changing performative use of words in a sense like Butler.)
My point is that they never should have attempted to convince each other of the superiority of their "truth", it was Jordans obligation to quickly sketch out his pragmatism and then they should have used those pov's to elaborate on the different principles that follow from those perspectives.

---

Btw. here is a vid from yesterday I just saw posted on Veeky Forums

youtu.be/sv17a0uIX2Y

bump

>sam harris
>mindstimulating
Let me just sage this brainlet thread

Econtalk
Quanta magazine
Aeon

This and lecture notes in general

damn you sure told us