What will literature be like under the Trump presidency?

What will literature be like under the Trump presidency?

A safe.haven for liberal elites and their in-group posturing? Will the fantasy genre die as postmodern discourses are disbanded and reality looks more and more like a Tolkien/Howard universe? Will Tolstoy, Pushkin and Dostoyevsky scholarship flourish once Russia has annexed the US?

Other urls found in this thread:

cpj.org/blog/2016/05/why-trumps-insults-of-journalists-must-be-taken-se.php
youtube.com/watch?v=yZNtYmdZ-4c&ab_channel=MoralityOfficial
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

rebirth of hard scifi

>inb4 hundreds dystopias published

I do think that it will be really good for the arts, free speech always flourishes when it faces hardship. Fuck that manchild and the imbeciles that support him and the real-life caricature we live in right now, though.

it's the outraged indifferent that will produce the greatest art now

>A safe.haven for liberal elites and their in-group posturing?
People don't buy this stuff now anyway. Who cares.

>Will the fantasy genre die as postmodern discourses are disbanded and reality looks more and more like a Tolkien/Howard universe?
Literature isn't a sliding scale with Pynchon and DeLillo on one end and Tolkien on the other.

>Will Tolstoy, Pushkin and Dostoyevsky scholarship flourish once Russia has annexed the US?
Russians already dislike Tolstoy because he was critical of Orthodoxy, which they've all got a huge hard-on for in the government right now. The others, sure fine whatever.

I think the main thing to take away is that a candidate like Trump will cut arts and culture funding wherever he can because there's a trillion dollar hole in his tax plan. If you think Trump cares about literature you're gravely mistaken.

My take: Americans will read fewer books, but they have been reading fewer and fewer books for a while now.

>free speech always flourishes when it faces hardship
>trump, the republican candidate, will somehow attack free speech

you really made me think

I think most people don't realize this, but Trump's victory is an extremely subversive act. Literally all media - even Fox - was backing up Clinton to some extent. Wall Street supported Clinton, Hollywood supported Clinton, social media celebrities supported Clinton. Trump's victory means Americans more than ever distrust their political institutions and media. I think literature will either reflect this or take a condescending stand in favor of said institutions while attacking the living caricature that is Donald Trump.

Guys like these show there's equal idiots on each side.

By the way literature is mostly dead as an art so nothing will change, who needs more cheap satirical works based on politics

you dont gonna be obligated to put at least 4 musilms and 8 black gay people on your story

Get out.

Veeky Forums is a pro-Trump board. get over it

He's literally threatened to jail journalists.

I hope DeLillo writes something about this. He's probably halfway to Europe right now though

Not so much pro-Trump as anti-Clinton desu, any disruptive candidate would have done

Marx.

wrong thread

we are all Trump on this blessed day

>Russians already dislike Tolstoy
What? People may dislike Tolstoy because they were forced to read his door-stoppers in high school but no one in their right mind would dare to badmouth him on political arena.

cpj.org/blog/2016/05/why-trumps-insults-of-journalists-must-be-taken-se.php

The though that Trump will have a problem with free speech is not some proofless fatalism on my part, he already had countless feuds with the press about articles that were either completely true or just standard crititicism. How can you defend someone so rampantly anti-intellectual and rhetorically weak on a literature board? Have you guys no self-awareness?

It just means they are Americans. Kek-people.

Spooky post. His feuds with the press are totally justifiable. Anyone would do the same if you had all media so blatantly trying to undermine your campaign. There's no indication whatsoever that he'll be trying to disrupt freedom of speech

The media with their love of sensationalism and catchy headlines are themselves undermining democracy. How can a politician do anything if he is poked and pressed by journalists 24/7 if he does an inch of something out of what is expected by them? It's like trying to fuck a pig on national tv.

Plus, with all issues 'chewed up' and simplified by news networks to the public, this same public never bother to actually understand anything and are happy to go with appearances.

youtube.com/watch?v=yZNtYmdZ-4c&ab_channel=MoralityOfficial

GOTT SEGNET AMERIKA

>print facts and criticisms
>"undermining"
>it's not threatening free speech when my spook does it

top kek well done amerilards