French "Philosophy"

When will the French be seen as the true charlatans they are?

>Alain Badiou
>Simone de Beauvoir
>Henri Bergson
>Pierre Bourdieu
>Albert Camus
>Gilles Deleuze
>René Descartes
>Jacques Derrida
>Michel Foucault
>Jean-François Lyotard
>Maurice Merleau-Ponty
>Marquis de Sade
>Jean-Paul Sartre
>Voltaire

All terrible, all nonsense, all served to add nothing consequential to philosophy except further blur it and send people for centuries down rabbit-holes further adding to the previous nonsense that came before.

When will these bastards be finally seen as the hacks they are? And when will the theory obsessed University professors be put out to grass and mercilessly shot for their frivolity?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=S1Pj8d9vQ8s
youtube.com/watch?v=Ogyq0z6KDGM
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_Certainty
journals.uvic.ca/index.php/ctheory/article/view/14826/5697
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I agree with you, but

A) Political philosophers like Rousseau and Montesquieu contributed greatly to the development of modern western civilization, and Descartes was both a major philosopher and major scientist (you can almost say the same about Pascal, although he was a theologian-scientist with great prose, not a philosopher)

B) German philosophy is as bad or worse. The only good philosophy in German are the economists of Austria. We only think of the French as Charlatans because they have produced famous charlatans recently, after WW2, unlike Germany whose last one was Heidegger.

brainlet

Which philosophers would you recommend ?

AH, yes yes!

The reason I dislike your terrible philosophers is because I don't 'understand' them.

What is there to understand? Nothing conducive! Something which can only be discussed with other professors or philosophers but not in any way adaptable or extendible to real life. All problems of misunderstanding how language works.

>The mind, intellect and body are separate but they touch and communicate with one another!

>I disagree, Descartes, you are forgetting the 'body' and how experiential things can be extensions of the 'body'!

>I disagree here, you are not taking into account experience itself! You are thinking too 'rationally' and do not understand that sensory impressions are what lead us to make these rational claims in the first place! We must emphasise more importance on what occurs TO US rather than our interpretation after the fact!

>Hm, yes, but I would say this contains within it the assumption that memory is infallible and what we designate as our experience can also be brought to mind in the future, can we not say that experience has often led to our disillusionment? Have we often not thought something to be the case and then corrected later on by another? But then I must rely on the OTHER'S experience! We can in no way trust our experience for this case! All we can know is that the 'possibility' for experience exists! That there is a thing that has 'this experience'.

>What do you mean by a 'thing' that has experience? For surely to have a 'thing' experience something we must have experience of that things? And then surely we must have experience of our experiencing of the 'thing'? Experience enters into an infinite regression in its justification and in that case, there can be no objective 'experience' for there must be an experiential justification of THAT experience and so on and therefore, we can make no comments about that experience, we must simply rely on what 'is' in the moment!

All nonsense that is complete circle-jerking, back and forth, back and forth! Endlessly and endlessly! That is just a quick example of a conversation between different philosophers I made up but it serves to show the complete uselessness of French 'philosophy'!

>Dasein is not "man," but is nothing other than "man"—it is this distinction that enables Heidegger to claim that Being and Time is something other than philosophical anthropology.

why are these blatant paradoxes paraded around as some kind of truth

k

Go away or provide an actual argument, thanks.

They already are by everyone who has a brain.

Rousseau was a fucking idiot.

Prove me wrong

Go to bed Paglia.

>I made up
Not very empirical of you.

Never read her, I dislike her a great deal.

What has she said about French 'philosophy'?

Perhaps but they are the main arguments of some.

>What has she said about French 'philosophy'?
She said they are pretty much all hacks.

Are you a Marxist?

Camus in the french world is regarded, first and foremost, as a novelist ; and doing that, he's talented. No idea why this board seems to consider him first as a philosopher, I guess they haven't found any other way to shit on his work...

When philosophy starts being seen as the non sense it is.

When poetry music and painting are accepted as the only true expression of the mind.

Which can only happen when we stop wasting our time in stupid man-made shit and submerge ourselves in the world of which we are a part, so that our minds merge with it and thus our souls reach the equilibrium that will let them be what they truly are.

No, Marx was extremely theoretical.

What do you even mean by theoretical?

>Which can only happen when we stop wasting our time in stupid man-made shit and submerge ourselves in the world of which we are a part, so that our minds merge with it and thus our souls reach the equilibrium that will let them be what they truly are.
Utter wank nonsense.

>The only good philosophy in German are the economists of Austria.
You ain't slipping in that one under my radar.

Just as a point tho, Wittgenstein is as Austrian as Hayek (not only do they have similar go to Britain to find their niche and fame lives, they were also cousins or some shit). There's the Vienna circle too. That's quite interesting to look at in the sense its a different path to Russel and Frege. Plus Godel is just lovely. Little mathsy tho.

>>Marquis de Sade

Saloperie de psychopathe dégénérer...bonne affaire qu'il a été incarcérer pour une bonne partie de sa vie...

If weren't for Descartes we wouldn't have Locke, Berkeley, Hume, Spinoza, Leibniz, Kant...

>Political philosophers like Rousseau and Montesquieu contributed greatly to the development of modern western civilization

Is that supposed to be an argument in favour of them?

Literal Last Men par excellence.

Watch this video, thanks:

youtube.com/watch?v=S1Pj8d9vQ8s

That's a good thing.

I'm not sure I follow your point bro. I'm saying there's a significant point of departure at that point, the positivism not only doesn't apply to all figures mentioned, it's also fairly irrelevant

Who the fuck are those cucks anyway?

this senpai

German romantic philosophy did a lot of damage to the French, heck to the entire continent.

Don't talk shit on Foucault. I'll fuck you up, punk bitch.

What issue do you take with Dasein? There could be others, we just happen to know ourselves.

>Never read her, I dislike her a great deal

>And when will the theory obsessed University professors be put out to grass and mercilessly shot for their frivolity?

But all philosophy is theory?

It means anything he doesn't like.

I wouldn't call the ones on the bottom of the list 'charlatans'.
But the ones on the top, I don't know, there's something distinctly "bullshit-y" about them, even if I don't mind reading them. I don't get the same type of profundity from them as when I read Heidegger, who on the surface looks like a word salad of the same type, he most definitely isn't.

Especially when you consider the dumb theatrics with which French philosophers talk.

Example, Lacan:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ogyq0z6KDGM

She hates Foucault. I like her views on aesthetics and her general anti-pc bent when it comes to sex-related stuff, but she talks out of her ass a lot, making uncharitable caricatures of other people's views, and can be extremely obnoxious, which she chalks up to being a Catholic-raised Italian-American.

Only French guy I think is a genuine fraud is Derrida. Some of the ideas of the other ones may be so abstract as to be practically unfalsifiable, but at least they are coherent and provide a different theoretical view of the world, even if some of those claims aren't necessarily borne out well or terribly deep. Take Baudrillard, who I like, but expended much verbiage on topics that many people would agree are kind of obvious if they thought about a Warhol piece of art for 15 minutes. Derrida, though, never stopped playing language games and somehow made a career out of it.

Based on the short biography of Lacan that I read, he seems to have started falling into dementia during the 70s; he also probably got caught up in the cult of personality that grew around him (which is probably why no one recognized the dementia).

You don't understand them, though

no love for michel?

>Based on the short biography of Lacan that I read, he seems to have started falling into dementia during the 70s; he also probably got caught up in the cult of personality that grew around him (which is probably why no one recognized the dementia).
This is true. For a sort of amusing but also kind of sad contemporary version look up NINA signs and Richard Jensen, it really looks like he has dementia (but also a bunch of social media accounts). He had his ass handed to him by research done by an 8th grader a couple of years back.

Some of it is also changes in pedagogy. Some teachers used to teach as if they were the hammiest actors.

She has tons of videos online, retard.

EXACTLY.

The job of philosophy is to destroy itself.

What about Baudrillard, Pascal, Montaigne, Clouscard, Camatte, De Maistre, Rabelais, Michea or Rousseau?

OP, you gigantic faggot.

>German philosophy is as bad or worse
Oke dokes.

What is worth reading by pic related? Do you guys have anything nice to say about him?

I am not sure your approach to philosophy is correct. Personnally I disagree with a lot of those philosophers and I hate Platon and Aristotle with their moronic totalitarian way.

Although in a very simplified way, a philosophy is an attempt to describe the human condition, and you totally have the right to disagree, but not realy to call them charlatans...

>Sartre
>Merleau-Ponty
>Descartes
>Ricoeur
All great philosophers. Especially Merleau-Ponty.

They already are, in some fields. In philosophy nobody takes them seriously anymore.

Implying you know anything about philosophy

We both know it, there's no need to lie friend

you're right OP. frivolity is the cancer that is killing Veeky Forums

we have suffered too long under the yoke of Nonsense. now it is time for Sense. help me to forget these philosophers i read in University. teach me

also i think we should do more jumping jacks. they're good for the heart. and warm you up for chasing literary theorists in the woods. those guys won't get far on foot from all that reading

eating vegetables is also important, very important. esp broccoli

what the fuck are you on

Read Wittgenstein, friend. He is the end.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_Certainty

Descartes fucking invented the scientific method, the coordinate plane, and all kinds of other really useful stuff.

is Sade worth reading if you're sadomasochistic edgelord?

>Something which can only be discussed with other professors or philosophers but not in any way adaptable or extendible to real life.
how exactly does this apply exclusively to french philosophy?
you just sound like another generic retarded millenial who approaches philosophy as self-help. go back to your tim robbins and meditation retreats you dumb sack of shit.

>All terrible, all nonsense, all served to add nothing consequential to philosophy except further blur it and send people for centuries down rabbit-holes further adding to the previous nonsense that came before.
How is Voltaire guilty of that?

Physicists consider rigid body dynamics to be easier to calculate than fluid body dynamics, because most physicists are men and therefore don't have first-hand experience with menstruation.

If you disagree then I'll fail you from my philosophy class.

Nice try, buddy.

I have studied the history of philosophy extensively, you simply don't understand the position I am coming from.

Projecting?

>été incarcérer

Try again.

>B) German philosophy is as bad or worse. The only good philosophy in German are the economists of Austria. We only think of the French as Charlatans because they have produced famous charlatans recently, after WW2, unlike Germany whose last one was Heidegger.
>French philosophers
>ugly
>autistic
>gay
>German philosophers
>virile
>powerful
>handsome men
Checkmate, you assertion is incorrect.

Rousseau is only good when you understand that he was in reality a Kaczynski-tier reactionary

Bataille is great. Badrillard writes like a faggot but is woke as fuck. Read for instance his 1997 article on the success of Front National, "A Conjuration of Imbeciles":

journals.uvic.ca/index.php/ctheory/article/view/14826/5697

He understood the "inexplicable" success of nationalist/xenophobic politicians two decades ago, while the traditional right, the traditional left and political "analysts" and "experts" throughout the Western world are STILL bewildered by Trump and the various nationalist parties of Europe. Read also his essay "Evil and Misfortune" on self-victimization and social justice bullshit.

>putting that first guy alongside the rest on that list
el kecko

>be user
>wake up
>eat cereal
>put on sandwich board
>shout at traffic
>feel tired
>take over bathroom stall at starbucks
>shitpost insane things about philosophy
>job well done
>back to the streets