Canadian Literature

Now that Americans are seeking refuge in Canada, I would like to start a thread about favourite Canadian authors and thinkers.

What are yours?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vPKeczB3wrg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>dude weed lmao

I would definitely recommend Stephen Leacock and Robertson Davis for a good laugh.

William Gairdner
>The War Against the Family
>The Problem With Canada ... Still
Gairdner has written lots of good stuff, and he has a choice selection of books that he recommends his reader to read as well. Very smart guy, more of an /oldstock/ conservative/classical liberal so he's basically as far right as you get in Canada.

Paul Hellyer
>Goodbye Canada
>One Big Party
>Money Mafia
He mostly writes about Canada (and America's) monetary system/policies. He's much more of a lefty, and has a very excellent tone of optimism despite the situation he presents. He seems naive at times, but I like his stuff.

Jordan Peterson
>Maps of Meaning
>youtube
He's pretty popular right now.

Stephen Leacock.
>Sunshine Sketches of a Little Town
>Other Short Stories
He's a funny, entertaining author but his prose almost demands a slow reading. You'll miss the humour if you try to speed read it.

Robertson Davis
>Depford Trilogy
I've only read the first one, but it's basically good high-school tier reading.

Conrad Black
>History of Canada
A pretty refreshing history of Canada. He's a neocon globalist type, but his history is not so guilt ridden and pathetic as what Canadians get in school.

Anne Carson
>Autobiography of Red
A verse novel retelling of a greek myth. Apparently it's incredible I haven't read it yet.

You can also check out the more common Canadian authors like Margaret Atwood, et al.

I'm just going to put it out there:

Margaret Atwood.

There I said it.

Sasha Sokolov wrote in Russian but was born in Canada. School for fools is a great book.

What;s your favourite work by Atwood? I have only read The Handmaid's Tale, and I didn't like it. I mean, it was okay - I guess.

>William Gairdner

Never heard about this man prior to this thread, but I looked him up and I was not disappointed. This gentlemen is brilliant, but he's kind and logical.

Books I will definitely look into, thanks user.

Rawi Hage
>best work, Cockroach

Roger Farr
>IKMQ

Christian Bok
>Crystallography

Bliss Carman
>Songs of the Sea Children

Gilles Henault
>Signals for Seers

Hugh Maclennan
>The Watch that Ends the Night

>suggesting Black

>Canadian
>Authors

It's not that bad if you really look.

We have a lot of good stuff non-fiction wise. I really enjoy Canadian political philosophy and socio-political stuff. We occupy a really unique space in the world being beside America, distinct yet sharing so many things in common it can be hard to tell the difference. Imagine if Quebec were a country beside France... It would seem pointless to the casual observer.

Malcolm Lowry
Under the Volcano

Robertson Davies
The Deptford Trilogy
The Rebel Angels

Alice Munro
Something I've Been Meaning to Tell You

Northrop Frye
Fables of Identity

Anne Hébert
Selected Poems

Jay Macpherson
Poems Twice Told

Margaret Atwood
Surfacing

Daryl Hine
Selected Poems

That's the leaf of the Japanese Maple, you mong

>Seeking refuge in Canada

Enjoy the six-year wait for non-refugees. If you apply now, you'll make it in halfway through his second term.

Jeff Lemire has some good literary graphic novels. Essex County and Underwater Welder are both quite good.

Understanding Media by Marshall McLuhan is probably my favourite non-fiction book.

Is Bok that prominent? He taught a class I was in and I have never heard of his writing mentioned by anyone, except on here, twice.

I quite like Evie Christie. I believe she's Ontario based. Cella Lao Rousseau is also great.
Rupi Kaur is my guilty pleasure.

Harold A. Innis - Empire and Communications
The Bias of Communication
The father of all media studies.

Alistair Macleod - Island: the complete stories
- No Great Mischief
A sober Cape Breton Hemingway.

Chester Brown - Paying for it
Graphic non-fiction about paying for sex.

George Elliott Clarke - Execution Poems
Non-fiction poems about the authors cousins being hanged in 1949.

William Gibson - Neuromancer
The cyberpunk novel which is pure lit.

For any American seeking refuge here, just remember that the reason that dude in the red serge rides a horse is because horses made it easier for Mounties to break up groups of striking coal miners. You've been warned.

>a fucking leaf

Fuck off, Maplefag. Hopefully President Trump will annex your shithole country and genocide all you faggots

He has a newly translated book coming out in December for english.

I feel I was too stupid to fully understand the complexity of school for fools, beautiful book though, quite impressive for a work written in the 70s

Barney's Version - Mordecai Richler

Alice Munro collected Stories

Station Eleven - Emily St. John Mandel

Michael Ondaatje - In the Skin of a Lion

Three Day Road/Orenda - Joseph Boyden

Al Purdy is our unofficial poet; this video also features Gord Downie who is the lead singer of The Tragically Hip, is the heir apparent to Purdy

youtube.com/watch?v=vPKeczB3wrg

It was probably me both times.

I've got all his books. Only met a few people out west that knew anything about his work.

I'm gonna be celebrating in the good ol US of A, but are there any good sci-fi novels that are huge in canada, but nowhere else?

Christian Bok is a fucking genius for his ability to push the boundaries of "poetry". I've read everything by him except for the Xenotext. I own a copy of Eunoia and am trying to get my hands on Crystallography.

I'd also like to add Madeleine Thien. I just finished reading Do Not Say We Have Nothing (which took the Giller as well as Governer General's award) and it is pretty good. 4/5

Charles Taylor
Ian Hacking

French-Canadian:
Gabrielle Roy
Nelligan
Alain Grandbois
Gaston Miron

La littérature du terroir is pretty fundamental to French-Canadian lit.

I would also add Claude Henri-Grigon, Nérée Beauchemin, Octave Crémazie and Réjean Ducharme.

Also Mordecai Richler for Canadian lit in general.

Any of you guys read this? Its can-con about Alexander the great and Aristotle.

>Apparently it's incredible I haven't read it yet.

More like 'dude disaffected youth's gay angst lmao'

I liked it a lot tho

not him, but surfacing is actually pretty good