So in the end was it ever explained how Slothrop's erections could summon rockets?

So in the end was it ever explained how Slothrop's erections could summon rockets?

it was explained in the first part of the novel. he was experimented on as a child with the goal of making his little cock erect whenever he smells imipolex (because that fucking doctor who experimented on him also held a patent on imipolex) or something to that extent, and then they tried to erase that reflex from him, but instead they achieved moving it "beyond the zero," which is in pynchon's understanding to reverse cause and effect, which is why he was later able to sort of predict with his cock where the rockets would fall.
all in all it's not very logical, but what did you expect?

forgot to add that V2s had some parts made out of Imipolex, hence the predictions

This. The rockets weren't "summoned."

>all in all it's not very logical
It's fiction, it doesn't have to be.

Also, I never got the "beyond the zero" thing, so thanks for explaining.

There's literally a chapter about how they don't.
How does everybody seem to miss the Poisson chapter?
W-was it inserted in my copy?
Why would anyone do that?

You're right, it is made eminently clear early on in the novel it's a mistake of math. These people miss it because they don't actually read the novel, they are pseuds. Ignore them.

>he doesn't realize that it wasn't purely happenstance like Mexico proposed

This, but also remember the drug oneirine.

so which is it?

This is the same shit people said about EmDrive
Can't wait till that paper gets published in December lmao

It's a fallacy, that's the entire point of GR and Pynchon in general. The illusion of understanding

I agree with this as well, he fucked so much that it was bound to happen regardless.

You guys aren't pulling my leg, right? Is the novel actually like this?

freakin' n00bs

All I've heard is that it's confusing and vague, didn't know the plot was completely batshit.

I remember that too, but I always get caught up in trying to piece it together.

That book was made to be read between the lines.

I also like this idea too

it's a very vulgar and disgusting novel desu

read it senpai

Clear?

No, that's the hilarious part of it: multiple layers to it. Mexico is occluded from the truth (he's profane, yes?) because he doesn't know "They" experimented on Slothrop as a child. He sees what's an actual conspiracy as random chance and even has math to back it up. It's about political conspiracies, how people can rationally explain away what are terrifying conspiracies to protect the fragility of their worldviews. Dramatic irony to the max.

You have it backward. Pointsman has one theory among many in a madhouse of people stuck in an antiquated metaphysics of cause and effect. His theory got funded precisely because of the conspiratorial elements of it which appealed to techno-rational military thinkers (Think Pudding's "Things that Can Happen in European Politics") It was in reality just a statistical accident. The whole point is that the new way of seeing is too hard for the human mind to swallow -- even Mexico questions it ("What about the women?")

good thing for its reputation that it didn't get that prize

this man knows