Is Trump the actualized verison of New Sincerity?

Is Trump the actualized verison of New Sincerity?

He is the manifestation of postmodernism. Support for Trump is so ironic it's sincere. Not the same thing as New Sincerity.

They are both retarded so they have that in common.

pic related

>The next real “rebels” in this country might well emerge as some weird bunch of anti-rebels, born oglers who dare somehow to back away from ironic watching, who have the childish gall actually to endorse and instantiate single-entendre principles.

>Who treat of plain old untrendy human troubles and emotions in U.S. life with reverence and conviction. Who eschew self-consciousness and hip fatigue.

>These anti-rebels would be outdated, of course, before they even started. Dead on the page. Too sincere. Clearly repressed. Backward, quaint, naive, anachronistic. Maybe that’ll be the point.

I'd say so.

How long until Infinite Jest consider the Mein Kampf of our time?

>so ironic it's sincere
That's not postmodernism. It's post-irony

>Is Trump the actualized verison of New Sincerity?

No. KEK is. Trump is merely a byproduct of KEK's power.

cool quote, tyvm for sharing

It's not singelminded or ranty enough

Trump's nativism is the dialectical extension of Clinton's neoliberalism. We have only the Democrat's to blame.

There is also nothing particularly sincere about Trump. There is no position he held as a presidential nominee that he held even five years ago as a private citizen. By the end of the campaign, there were hardly any positions Trump held in 2016 that he held in 2015. He is nothing if not insincere and opportunistic - just like Clinton.

That's a pretty stupid quote especially in the context of Trump. Hipsters are not rebels they are just obnoxious.

This.

>We have only the Democrat's to blame.
Very much so.

No, he is postmodernism incarnate. People vote for him out of irony, entertainment, and amusement from his memes. Trump relies on hyperbole, insults, and subjective arguments seldom backed by facts. He says and proposes ridiculous things that he himself probably doesn't believe in but says anyways because it draws attention or he's in the heat of a moment.

Infinite Jest actually warned us about Trump, he's basically Johnny Gentle

>Trump's nativism is the dialectical extension of Clinton's neoliberalism. We have only the Democrat's to blame.

Absolutely this. The democrats had a conscious plan to move so far to the right it would render Republicans unable to compaign on anything but unelectable radical right platforms. Only inevitable problem was they turned out to be electable anyway

Wallace clearly saw Reagan in that light. Now it seems since Trump came from Reality tv (along with various tv cameos) which in itself is a faux reality. But in that plasma glow something much more warped came through. Adam Curtis was bang on in Hypernormalization

Does anyone else feel like they slipped into some alternate timeline? I think I'm supppsed to be somewhere over there, not here.

This is where you belong cuck. What has transpired is actually your fault. We're living in an universe that hinges on you.

He's just the latest incarnation of anti-intellectualism.

Well it looks like im cucked and you're fucked

Nobody is more sincere than Donald Trump. Nobody. People are always coming up to him and they say "Donald. Why aren't more politicians in America as sincere as you? Nobody is more sincere than you." It's true. They say that. And you know why no one else is as sincere as Donald Trump? Because they're corrupt. They don't care about America. They don't. They care about a nice paycheck from a foreign country. It's true. China, the Chinese, come into this country. They buy our politicians. They steal our essence. They really do. The Chinese are killing us in sincerity. Not anymore though. We're gonna take back sincerity and we're gonna show them that we are very sincere and we are gonna Make America Great Again.

Sort of, I was pretty sure we were just gonna get more establishment democrats. It felt as if we landed in the timeline where the "anti-establishment" won, while Clinton continued on with neo-liberalism in some other world.

Trump graduated from a much better university than you could ever dream of entering with your subpar IQ. He's mastered many intellectual pursuits such as literature, media, business, and now politics, and he has produced a wide range of original social theories that have influenced millions not just in the United States but around the world.

Trump is the intellectual--you are the snot-nosed shitposter with hot opinions. Don't ever forget the wide gap in intellectual ability between President-elect Donald J. Trump and yourself.

>Trump graduated from a much better university than you

Lmao: here, we both went to Fordham, an okay, overpriced Jesuit academy in the Bronx.

Trump is practically the manifestation of white mediocrity, accidentally rewarded by chance, ie. being born the son of a racist millionaire. He takes credit for what was, at its root, an arbitrary privilege. If he has a genius for anything, it's play-acting, cynical humor, and self-praise. I understand perfectly well that he successfully tapped into the rage generated by globalized capital, but this makes him an opportunist, not a champion of the people.

He transfer transferred to UPenn, but his family connections likely got him in

Yes, because graduating from a good university automatically proves that one is extremely smart. You're a retarded troll and i don't even need to respond to why the rest of your post is retarded.

>he successfully tapped into the rage generated by globalized capital
That's the kind of weird thing tho, people are treating like he's done that, but really everything he's put forward is about stopping globalized labour rather than capital. The Mexican people can't come in? Who the fuck cares, they've still moved a bunch of the factories south of the border.

>we both went to Fordham
And only one of you graduated from Wharton, the most difficult and elite business school on the face of the planet. Guess what? It wasn't you. You sank into the mediocrity you project onto your intellectual superiors and stayed at Fordham while Trump seized destiny and accomplished incredible things that are beyond your mental capability. There's absolutely nothing arbitrary about the fact that Trump is going to be sitting in the Oval Office while you'll be jerking off on Veeky Forums and giving your unsought analyses on his achievements. He's simply much smarter than you.

>There's absolutely nothing arbitrary about the fact that Trump is going to be sitting in the Oval Office while you'll be jerking off on Veeky Forums and giving your unsought analyses on his achievements. He's simply much smarter than you.
I would imagine that there's an element of age difference between Trump and user.

>

Mor likely to be considered the Das Kapital or the Nietzche of our time. I.e in the sense of being a book with no real maliscious political intent which gets picked up by groups in the future who will use it to justify their actions. Wallace is a fascinatingly apolitical writer, but I think his books contain the seeds of some very dangerous ideas, particularly a method of justifying old ideas without accepting any critiques of them (because the critiques are ironic and postmodern, and therefore bad and can be ignored by the devoted wallacian), ideas the return of which Trump is just the mildest symptom.

Aren't both Trump and Clinton manifestations of the ultimate malignancy of Democracy - as in post-Monarchic Liberalism/Individualism?

I didn't say that he's stupid, just that he's espoused anti-intellectual ideas to get people like you to mindlessly worship him.

No. He is just another rich cunt in control. The only difference now is he was chosen to do it.

Sage for not literature.

>Mfw Trump is Gentle
>Mfw the election went exactly how it went in Infinite Jest, some problems with Mexico, a "good looking" Canadian PM

Wallace saw this coming

He also made negative comments on NATO and how pointless it is however he did say that he wouldn't disband it. ONAN is coming, bois. He lied.

Can we expect a rise of Quebecois nationalism?

I will keep mentioning that Trump isn't Johnny Gentle, Former Crooner. Gentle was clearly modeled on Ronald Reagan. Trump is more Randy Lenz

Both campaigns were built on deceit and irony. The supports thought they were sincere but in the end only seek to further their own interests.

No, he's the actualised version of post-irony.

Not everything in the world fits under irony or new sincerity.

At this point I would not be surprised at a Quebexit.

it's post-postmodernism you could say

It really is, because with all the irony and memes and cynicism of Trump supporters there's still a deep longing and hope that things will get better.

What is ONAN?

Wrong, he's spoken against capital moving jobs outside of the country as well

yeah