lmgtfy.com/?q=Shear stress on body in uniform flow
youtube.com/watch?v=LDnYojfwqR4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Take a straight metal rod

Bend it until the ends meet

Weld

What now!?

what do you mean, what now?

in the games you couldn't remove either portal if a solid object was passing through a portal, which is what i deduce you were trying to figure out. Are you retarded or something? What are you even trying to say?

An object that is inbetween portals cannot interact with itself in any meaningful way.

There is no way to weld the object to its opposite end because the end you're seeing is actually from a different piece.

Disregard this I suck cocks. You have then an endless beam. It will continue to fall at speed, and if you shift a portal away it will be cut.

You'd have a loop of metal with 2 portals as rings around this loop. The loop of metal will appear to be straight though.

If you let it go, it would fall endlessly and continuously. As it increases in speed due to the acceleration from gravity, it would approach the speed of light. From the rods POV, the distance between the portals is getting smaller and smaller, increasing it's speed exponentially, and closing the distance even further. In a finite time, the speed would reach c and the portals would close, trapping the rod in-between and turning it into a black hole.

From the perspective of someone standing still on the outside, the rod is what contracts, but there are no ends of the rod, so the observed effect is that the rod increases in density. Eventually, the rod becomes so dense it collapses into a blackhole.

>thing in portals reaches c
>portals close
>black hole
Why

>it would approach the speed of light
lol

bfy.tw/ALZ0

completely wrong. It could never reach c because it is still falling in an atmosphere, which means air resistance is in effect and the fastest it could go is terminal velocity, which is dependent on the mass and surface area of the rod. Dropping a bomb from a plane doesn't mean it keeps accelerating until it hits the ground.

this can't happen in real life, therefore it's meaningless to talk about.

>which is dependent on the mass and surface area of the rod.
But the rod has no surface area that's perpendicular to the air, so drag can't effect it. Of course it's possible that there is some shearing friction, but I'm no expert on air resistance. Either that or the rod will end up pulling along the air for the ride until it becomes a black hole. It doesn't actually need to reach c to collapse, but in the case where there is no air, because of the nature of portals, it would reach c in finite time (remember portals require infinite energy so this is feasible).

you're dumb

:^)

This.

Friction alone would keep the bar from going too fast.

| BOUNDARY CONDITIONS PERIODIC|
|IC BOUNDARY CONDITIONS PERIOD|
|DIC BOUNDARY CONDITIONS PERIO|
|ODIC BOUNDARY CONDITIONS PERI|
|RIODIC BOUNDARY CONDITIONS PE|
|ERIODIC BOUNDARY CONDITIONS P|
|PERIODIC BOUNDARY CONDITIONS |

What I'm saying is that this approximates periodic boundary conditions and would be trivially easy to set up a molecular dynamics simulation to model it. Honestly it's a rather boring case. Sure it would be slightly more interesting if you brought both portals closer together, welded them then stretched them.

Moving portals closer together and further apart is exactly what we do when we want to model stress in a crystal with molecular dynamics.NOW YOU'RE THINKING WITH PORTALS

But what friction is there? There is no cross-sectional perpendicular surface that is creating any turbulence because the rod is a continuous solid body with no edge. The only resistance would be due to viscous drag, which as I said I'm no expert on, but I don't see why there should be a terminal velocity due to this drag alone.

it's a fucking game lol

what do you want out of this

mhhmhm.. same degrees of freedom id say.
as compared to interdasting: portals in line - object vs bended annular object

a while in lenghth range of reality welded together stick is not stretcheble over its own length.

a outdside of length range of reality welded stick it not compressible below its own lenght.

Fucking air-shear you mongoloid
lmgtfy.com/?q=Shear stress on body in uniform flow

Can you explain why he's completely wrong? I didn't read anything about an atmosphere being there, so why assume?

The welded bar is in effect a bar of infinite length passing through an infinite series of yellow and blue portals. Moving the two portals apart simply causes more of the infinite bar to exist in the gap between each of the pairs of portals in the series. By moving the portals apart, cutting out a section of bar, moving the portals together, welding the remainder of the bar, and moving apart again, you could in theory produce an infinite number of sections of bar and never run out. It's kinda like the fully booked infinite hotel, except instead of vacating an infinite number of rooms by making each guest move to the even numbered rooms thus vacating the odd numbered rooms, the hotel continuously refills an infinite number of vacant odd-numbered rooms using guests staying in even-numbered rooms, over and over again. Thus the hotel stays fully booked and makes the most profit (because even vacant rooms need to be serviced periodically).

However if you were to cut one foot of bar, then on the next round cut two feet of bar, then cut three feet then four feet etc having extended the portals the corresponding amount each time, you'd eventually end up with an amount equal to -1/12th of a foot of bar, which would make all that work for less than nothing.

This is the correct answer

The bar gets strained, big fucking woo.

Whay the fuck are you smoking?

See Why would the bar be strained? What anchors the bar's position to the positions of the portals?

Now you have a circle of infinite radius

So, according to your logic. This would create infinite water?

I understand there is air-shear. If you read my posts you'd see I already mentioned this type of drag. But as I said, I'm not an expert on it. All I want to know is if air-shear alone will cause the bar to reach terminal velocity? Or will the bar just continue pulling along more and more air with it as it accelerates. Nobody has answered this, and your "source" isn't even a fucking source, it's just a google search. If you can answer my question or send me somewhere that can, I would appreciate it. But instead you're calling me an idiot without adding anything to the conversation.

Why would the bar's energy exceed the energy that the force of gravity can exert? even in a near vacuum it would not approach the speed of light

It wouldn't pull the stream of water apart if that's what you're asking. If the liquid column of water didn't atomize as it fell through the air then yeah, you'd be able to pull the portals apart and catch the falling column of water.

When you move the portals you aren't pulling on anything moving through the portal, rather you are shifting an infinite number of pairs of portals further apart along the length of one infinitely long object. By assigning each pair of portals a number, we can then shift the distance between each pair by a factor of two, so that every portal pair now has between it double the length of the object it had before. Pair one gains the length previously held by pair two, pair two loses its original but gains the lengths previously held by pair 3 and 4, pair three gains from pairs 5 and 6, etc, in an infinite series.

It is the exact same mathematical process which works in the 'infinite hotel' problem.

Oh also, when you shift the portals apart at a velocity of 1 and a distance of 1, in all other pairs of portals the distance remains 1 but their speed relative to your 'position' along the infinite series approaches infinity from your perspective. It's like taking two mirrors reflecting themselves into an infinite (close enough) series of reflections, and moving them apart by a few inches. All of the reflections appear to move apart the same distance, but the distance compounds with every reflection, until the furthest reflection appears to move away at tremendous speed. Since portals technically occupy the same space as one another and don't require any information to cross between the two in real space, the portal 'reflections' are truly infinite and there is no furthest portal in the series. This means that the infinite hotel problem applies and you can subtract an infinite amount of length from the bar by expanding and collapsing the series over and over again and never run out.

This is equivalent to uniformly stretching a metal ring.
It would break at the weld.

9.8 m/s^2 of constant acceleration would, given infinite time, cause an object to reach the speed of light. In any arbitrary amount of time the object would reach an arbitrary percentage of the speed of light. In vacuum any amount of constant acceleration over enough time is enough to reach arbitrarily close to the speed of light, but no amount of acceleration over a finite time period can actually REACH the speed of light.

No, there is no finite bound on the metal bar. Shift the portal reflections along the infinite length of bar by moving the two portals apart and you can subtract any arbitrary length of metal rod and still have an infinite amount leftover.

completely wrong.

Look guys. I just created infinite mirrors and infinite clones of myself.

>even in a near vacuum it would not approach the speed of light
First of all, let me say this is not me. And secondly, yes, it would approach the speed of light. In relativistic mechanics, it's true that a constant force does not mean constant acceleration. The acceleration decreases as the velocity increases. But, under a constant force, the speed still approaches c, it just takes infinite time to get there.

But in the case of the portals, it only takes finite time. Because of length contraction, the portals are getting closer to one another as the speed of the bar increases. Since the distance it travels is smaller, but the bar is under the same constant force, the speed it travels is faster than it would be if the portals were not there. This acceleration effect due to the portals and length contraction compensates for the decreasing acceleration predicted by special relativity due to the constant force, allowing the bar to reach c in a finite time.

The only reason an object with mass cannot reach the speed of light is because it takes an infinite amount of energy to accelerate it there. But portals require an infinite amount of energy, because the can teleport objects to a greater height and give it more potential energy without a problem. So if we are talking about portals, it's assumed that an infinite amount of energy is at our disposal. So the extra energy that the bar gets is not from gravity, but from the portals.

There are a finite number atoms in the bar. Portals do not create new atoms. Forces are between atoms at both sides of the portal.

Oh look a case where we have 4 portals in 2d:
youtube.com/watch?v=LDnYojfwqR4

>portals require an infinite amount of energy
yet wormholes don't... :\
Also it would probably use more energy to maintain a portal's existence as mass goes through it than what is given to that mass when transporting it higher in altitude.

A stream of water isn't a solid, singular object.

It consists of a finite number of molecules.

Suggesting that these molecules would somehow stretch or multiply is a bigger violation of physics than the portal device itself.

Do you even know what quantum tunneling is?

>yet wormholes don't
Source? How much energy does a wormhole require? I always thought that wormholes need negative energy/mass to exist. And if you think about it, this is equivalent to infinite energy in a way. If we assume that negative mass attracts to other negative mass under gravity just as positive mass attracts other positive mass, any positive-negative particle pairs that are spontaneously produced will separate near the portal rather than annihilate with each other. This in theory could allow for an infinite amount of mass to be produced, which corresponds to infinite energy.

>A stream of water isn't a solid, singular object
REEE

I just thought about this rod thing for a second... Aligned portals perpendicular to G vector would actually be affected by earth's gravity like a normal object?

This terrible drawing is what came in my mind:

off topic, but what's that image from?

second drawing

Anyone?

Did you mean to reply to my post? It seems like that is more relevant to the other discussion going on about the water stream. In my situation, length contraction is causing the length between the portals to become c-d not c+d. This effect increases the density of the rod, and in the limit it will collapse into a black hole.

Also:
>so you're either creating new points, or something else has to give
I think the whole point of that other anons argument is that this situation IS creating new points. So you just help them prove their point, congrats.

What are the arrows supposed to represent? We can't answer your question if we don't understand what you're asking.

Attraction force, sorry for not being clear, I'm not a physicist.

my point is that you have a conical shadow of attraction. This grey area can't exerce force on you.

That being said, the radius of the portal and how far they are from each other affect your terminal speed, since you will experience a different G

Interesting thought. I guess even though the shaded portion of the earth is impossible to travel to with the portal in the way (ie. it's not a traversable distance), the gravitational potential there still exists that's due to an "absolute" distance independent of the portal being in the way. It's a good question though.