I have minor synesthesia, and weird books are fun to read. I have this and Zettel...

I have minor synesthesia, and weird books are fun to read. I have this and Zettel. What are some others that are distinctly weird?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The Parallax View by Slavoj Zizek.

>synesthesia
what does that mean? its probably something i could have

its kind of like having your senses overlap
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia
i get vague tactile feelings when reading or listening to music (well really listening to most things) and I find myself associating words and sounds with colors frequently.

Will try it out!

I should specify that I mean formally weird as opposed to content.

>synesthesia

Doesn't exist. Urban legen dribble.

No scientific evidence beyond postulation

Okay, do you have a recommendation?

start with the greeks

I'm reading plenty of the Greeks.

Dhalgren

Cubist or futurist poetry.

didn't nabokov have this?

resume with the romans

Yeah, you don't know what you're talking about. There is plenty of evidence.

Ovid is my favorite.
Going for Virgil soon.
That said, any formally strange works you'd recommend? Beowulf is pretty cool in this respect (I haven't read much works with alliterative meter).

Show me one shred of credible scientific evidence that is in any way conclusive.

>I have minor synesthesia

>>synesthesia
>what does that mean? its probably something i could have

>its kind of like having your senses overlap
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia
>i get vague tactile feelings when reading or listening to music (well really listening to most things) and I find myself associating words and sounds with colors frequently.

could hiro pls now finally close down Veeky Forums due to server costs?

>language

Doesn't exist. Urban legen dribble.

No scientific evidence beyond postulation

Tender Buttons is a collection of poems in words arranged by their auditory associations rather than any narrative or logical concept.

Pyramid Texts, Coffin Texts, Book of Coming Forth by Day

>synesthesia
>real

Alright we gave you your attention, now fuck off

why does this make you angry?

Will check it out!
Thatnks! Will try them!

Hey, what did you think of Ulysses? I enjoyed the synaesthetic nature of Deaf Pat and the Blind Stripling, the way he played hearing and seeing against each other was astounding. I recall the blind stripling giving someone a worry to close his mind up to avoid it being read..

I've always been intrigued by the concept of that condition, and have experienced it through various hallucinogens, fully tactile hallucinations, tasting colors, complete absorption of the body into materials in a fully hallucinating state, etc. I leave no possibility of these conditions being permanent as the human brain evolves. I think nabokov was certainly mocking it when he said his entire family could see colors in words. Anyway, have you ever tried a hallucinogen, and has it amplified these sensations?

I'm reading it slowly as of now! Not to that bit yet (60 pages in), but I love the style its written in (although it doesn't have the same effect on me as bumbling about in FW so far). But yeah, I'm trying a no annotations read through and then trying it again with a companion book.

I did shrooms once and it did a lot of weird things for me, but the most prevalent was a feeling of time-distortion. At one point I felt like I threw up inside of my face. It was a weird experience, but one I'm probably gonna try again.

I didn't taste colors, but I was a bit muddled.

well the tasting colors was a far more potent time for me, regardless, pay close attention to the blind stripling and deaf pat. i think you'll get a kick out of them. Good luck, my friend! I do hope you enjoy the novel. If I were to suggest something to stimulate your condition, it would be something along the lines of poetry. If you can turn your focus towards language and music or rhythm, you could easily find yourself awash in new perspectives. I think having a healthy sense of exploration would have to be necessary to fully enjoy and utilize your senses. If i were in your position, I would certainly be intent on using my mingling senses to create new perspectives, to craft art. It would certainly be a waste to squander such an opportunity.

Maybe.

I'm fairly into poetry and write some too, Music is a huge source for texture for me (in the tactile sense.
ee and Willams are some of my favorites, but i like kooky line breaks i guess. Poe's the only poet that's completely astonished me from his musicality alone (Well maybe Plath with Daddy, but that's a different sort of thing I think).

I'll look into it.

I've enjoyed literally everything else I've read by Joyce so I doubt I'll dislike it.

Christ

Synesthesia is a meme

Stroke victim orange smell when numbers

alright, that wasn't really the point of the thread (although I did mention it and didn't ignore people who focused on that aspect) I just want formally strange and complex works of literature. Do you have any suggestions that I might like? or are you just hung up on hippy bullshit that literally could never affect you

ITT jelly anesthetes...synesthesia isn't just real, but essential to all perception, and something you can consciously control, although it usually gets pushed aside to unawareness.

Try TS Eliot's The Wasteland, or The Four Quartets; Blake's Songs; Andersen's Fairy Tales; &c.

Search Eliot's notion of "Auditory Imagination."

Love The Wasteland, and hope to get a copy of the quartets soon. Recently got the Cantos and that's fun to frolic around in too.

I want to get a copy of blake with the complete illustrations. Haven't really heard of Andersen's Fairy Tales.

1982 janine

>writes dribble instead of drivel
It's a doggy dog world when you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

your newfag is showing

>Not suggesting the superior but sadly antiquated form 'drivelmoo'
We all know who the real plebeian here is now, don't we

>why does this make you angry?
It reads like you guys are twelve year-olds who are incapable of looking shit up themselves or even describing things.
Fuck off to facebook.

The way you express yourself, you make it sound like you are jealous of not having Synaesthesia.

I wasn't even the guy you were originally asking, pal.
But seriously how old are you?

jesus, the kids these days
47 and already fully competent at using a computer

How old are you?

just turned 264, although at my age you just call it "22"

Recommend me a book to read, young one.

>doggy dog world
Is this a meme, or are you retarded?

This
Wasn't me. You sound like a retard however, despite your claim you're 47. Sorry to say. I hope you're not as retarded irl.

yikes

this is essential, op.

I am not 47, but I am that retarded IRL too.

i got it on my amazon list so i won't forget

When i read your sentence i could feel the words cumming out of my penis hole. Is that not proof enough?