So why don't you scientists go get a real job, and stop scooping money from peoples kid's brains?

So why don't you scientists go get a real job, and stop scooping money from peoples kid's brains?
youtube.com/watch?v=gDoIilJ-_Z0
Go be an engineer and make something useful, something that the market wants.

How is basic science anything else than a massive scam?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-_Gv9C56heM
youtube.com/watch?v=CV8rNiBECCA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>USEFUL
Whatif I told you "useful" is a subjective concept, as in not all humans agree on what is useful and how much, and that there is no physical law giving purpose to any human endeavour?

I've been saying this for a quite a while. Molyneux is one the greatest minds of our time possibly ever.

>Go do something useful...go get a real job
>He said on his youtube webseries.
>With his MA in History

Fucking lol. Looks like this cuck has a serious case of physics envy.

this can't be real

>Whatif I told you "useful" is a subjective concept, as in not all humans agree on what is useful and how much.
You'd be lying. As described in the video usefulness is dictated by the market. Engineers and iPhones are useful as they are profitable and rewarded by the market, physicist and their big expensive toys are not and can only fund themselves through abuse of power and coercion through the government, utterly useless. Nobody needs you and nobody wants to pay for your immature hobbies.

>subjectivism
kys trog

>usefulness is dictated by the market
>Give a lecture on QFT
>People pay to attend
>QFT is useful

Exactly. I don't see him making me a fucking iPhone.

Why the fuck would anybody be a wage cuck engineer when he is living almost the neet life in academia playing with expensive tools?
>not useful
Like that fag can define what's useful. Breakthroughs are often made from state fundings and what people define as stupid and useless endeavours.

>irish intellectuals
Why are the Irish such subhumans.
This is a fellow intellectual Irishman of his in his natural environment.
youtube.com/watch?v=-_Gv9C56heM

youtube.com/watch?v=CV8rNiBECCA

>"Our view it the objective depiction of reality. You should do exactly as we tell you to."
Yeah it is in the interest of the majority to generalize their thoughts on everyone and force/manipulate/oppress people who think different. But still, there is no true objective purpose for life, so therefore no objective definition for "usefulness" either.

baa baa sheep :D learn to think with your own brains.

>99% of the market doesnt want A
>1% of the market wants A
>project doing A gets funding from that minority A
>if it succeeds, some of the 99% might change their mind; or not

I don't see how this mysterious "invisible hand" market prevents me from supporting science, paying for scientific knowledge and services, and studying science myself.

If 99 people jump from the bridge, do you jump too?

He is useful, people are willingly paying for his service and he doesn't have to beg the government and taxpayers for change unlike you.

>people are willingly paying for his service

People willingly pay for my service as well faglord.

> and he doesn't have to beg the government and taxpayers for change unlike you.

Literally every bit of research I've done in the past has been industry (or privately) funded. You know why? Because people in industry recognise that the next big innovation could come from fucking anywhere, it's why they're successful, unlike Stefan. But you keep on with your """"""intellectual"""""" giant (who, given the evidence, apparently can't string a coherent sentence together).

>I don't see how this mysterious "invisible hand" market prevents me from supporting science
The 1% of the market who wants to see you play with your big electric toys is made up of penniless NEETs just like you. Got it now retard?

Probably not, you are just exaggerating. But still, you can't prove being 'penniless retard NEET' is bad thing. Maybe they enjoy their lives. They have their responsibilities, and freedoms, regardless of what you think of them. Even if they fail to fulfill some responsibilities, it's okay; society has got your back. As long as you don't break the law much.

>Literally every bit of research I've done in the past has been industry (or privately) funded.
Then he wasn't talking about you, you pocket protector women repelling virgin. Tell your nerdy friends to stop running to the government and ruining our future tho, thanks.

The point is the guy is a fucking moron, and this is coming from someone who, as you say, it doesn't apply to. Anyone who listens to what he say is, I'm going to presume, likewise a fucking moron.

Most people in industry appreciate the need for research universities because, as I've said, they understand that the next big innovation can come from anywhere. The problem is they aren't willing to fund something that won't make a return within the next few years. Which is why something like QFT would never have had funding for research, but is now indispensable for anyone wanting to do condensed matter research.

Any economist worth his salt will tell you that certain enterprises. Look up the concept of economies of scale and the concept of the freerider problem. Some projects or research are simply too big for even giant corporations such as Fisher-sci to consider worth investing in, or the yields are hard to make money off while still providing a good to society (e.g. a finding on how to increase the efficacy or a surgical technique.)

You really should pursue economics past intro macro and micro. You'll be a lot better for it.

>Any economist worth his salt will tell you that certain enterprises.
Certain enterprises are simply not optimally funded by free market economics, I meant to say.

Space programs are mainly founded by government budgets, what's your point, ancapfag?

Renewable energy sources, space exploration and colonization, a multitude of medical/biological discoveries... to name only a few. They may not all have direct impacts in the world , but they will without a doubt be essential in the near/not so distant future. If we only care about the current economy when investing in science related jobs, we are short-sighting ourselves and probably digging our graves.

this

>grouping fucking space programs with energy and medical
Moron.

>Basic research is useless
What a fucking moron.

>Basic research is not useless
It is you moron. That's why normies don't give a shit about your bullshit hobbies and science. What has science ever given us? How does it help our lives? We don't give a fuck about how the universe started or whatever all we want and need is a new iPhone.

wow this thread is terrible and i hate it

SAGE

SAAAGE

>So I'll bump it

Fucking neck thy self. Homosexual.

That guy talks like he understands what he says but really many of his statements and even whole videos make literally no sense.

stop taking the bait

LOL. What has science ever given us. I love that statement. It's always the same morons using it :)

Yeah, I fucking hate Stefan Manure. He's this guy who thinks he's got it all figures out and talks like its gospel when you can easily refute his shit when you start thinking about it a little bit. He just doesn't see the big picutre, like many, and it's sad.
He's a politician at best that wants to produce results in the next 2 years, when you need to wait at least a generation to get somewhere on a societal level. But whatver, morons b morons.

Guy who makes youtube videos telling me to get a job. That's rich.

does anyone have a screen cap of the post when your at a resultant being served by him.

>As described in the video usefulness is dictated by the market

That literally agrees with his statement

Come on user, don't you know that doritos cheesy gordita crunch only exists because it is really useful to society.

And he's more useful than you. Reconsider your life choices women repelling nerd.

Yeah what has science ever given us.
>inb4 accomplishments of medicine and engineering

I wonder where the knowledge how to make i phones originally came from...

>The pseuds of Veeky Forums are actually falling for this bait
Pottery, you retards really can't help but get hooked even when it's that obvious can you.

let me tell you where it didn't come from: massive government funded projects, or things like cern and nasa.

A huge amount of the technology around us came from innovations made originally for space travel

Fuck this fucking thread. Can't you fags learn to sage?

Now [math] THIS [/math] is trolling.

The founders of Silicon Valley started off making transistors and communications technology for the allies in WW2. Check out the lecture "The Secret History of Silicon Valley" for more detailed info.

can't this thread die already? why does it keep popping up? come help me sage this shit to oblivion

If you think Stefan is an insufferable faggot now just wait until you see his explanation of history as a struggle betweeen "smart genes" and "dumb genes." It's truly eye opening.

hourly sage