THE ESCHATON

Is there any unironic writing/lectures about the Eschaton apart from what McKenna said?

>eschathology

We are way downstream of (its) knowing.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AY8jYVCOoD4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Hail Eris.

>Eschaton is the most complicated children’s game anybody around E.T.A.’d ever heard of. No one’s entirely sure who brought it to Enfield from where. But you can pretty easily date its conception from the mechanics of the game itself. Its basic structure had already pretty much coalesced when Allston’s Michael Pemulis hit age twelve and helped make it way more compelling. Its elegant complexity, combined with a dismissive-reenactment frisson and a complete disassociation from the realities of the present, composes most of its puerile appeal. Plus it’s almost addictively compelling, and shocks the tall.

Actually, without addressing the immanentization aspect (or Discordianism), does Gnosticism consider order in the Material World a kind of coagulation that slows transcendence down, or a kind of evidence of the tendrils of Divinity that should be central to transcendence?

Anathem desu

>Eschaton is the most complicated children’s game anybody around E.T.A.’d ever heard of. No one’s entirely sure who brought it to Enfield from where. But you can pretty easily date its conception from the mechanics of the game itself. Its basic structure had already pretty much coalesced when Allston’s Michael Pemulis hit age twelve and helped make it way more compelling. Its elegant complexity, combined with a dismissive-reenactment frisson and a complete disassociation from the realities of the present, composes most of its puerile appeal. Plus it’s almost addictively compelling, and shocks the tall.
Literally atrocious. A stupid, phony attempt to sound casual and conversational while sticking in the most pretentious and purple and technical vocabulary possible. "Dismissive-reenactment frisson"? Just fucking end my life. Add a smattering of autistic, almost robotic obsession with technical terminology, as well as attempts to get into the mindset and speech-patterns of "simple, sympathetic, struggling people" and it all just reveals how much of a sociopath DFW really was, unable to actually sympathize with people. A broken robot, he probably knew what was wrong with himself and that's why he an-hero'd. I've read Infinite Jest all the way through and can speak to you about it and I regret that fact.

I've also read Infinite Jest and while the writing is nothing great, most of it isn't as bad as this, the way I remember it

it's always nice to see someone using my oc pasta

I don't mean to rag on your opinion of the book, but I don't even think that's the worst of it. The worst and the corniest is when he tries to do a person speaking English with a Quebecois accent and having a super wise and more oldfashioned outlook on life and who criticizes the newfangled American lifestyle from a wise height (Marathe), poor, poorly raised, violent and uneducated, drug-using and -selling black people (the fucking atrocious ebonics section), and attempts to get into the heads of people who've been raped, molested, who are awfully poor, who are basically dumber than himself, etc.

And guess what. It doesn't work. It's fraudulent and condescending. You can clearly tell. It's like he's just doing it for the points --- here's the token rape victim, token homosexual, token etc. Trying to project an image of himself as someone who can sympathize and get into the heads of all kinds of people, but it's totally false. This shows up in some of his obscurer short stories (some of which are pretty much vignettes), too, where he tries to show the lives of Southerners and it turns out bad.

Robot Anton Wilson's Illuminatus Trilogy is a good source.

You poor bastard

i agree with you totally. although some of his works are strangely addictive. and why we are reading him?. it´s just for the meme?. or for being a hero? , or the obscure reasons why the industry decide to praise him?.
i don´t feel dfw was really one of us.

Why do you pity me, bro? Do you think my opinion makes me sound jaded and disconnected from human life?

Well, his works are fun to read, or at least compel you to keep reading even when they're not incredibly fun at certain parts, which is why I've read enough of him to make that judgment. So I think that, yes, he at least succeeds in being an entertaining writer at times, for all he says about entertainment and how we shouldn't just want to be entertained --- anyway, before I get too verbose and lengthy, let me just finish it and say that all of his works have left me cold afterwards and somewhat angry at Wallace for having written such gimmicky works. They basically "trick" the reader and critic, if that makes sense. They're the epitome of vapidity with the appearance of depth. They trick the reader into thinking he's going to say something, and he just doesn't. And of course, overly clever and hypocritical bastard he is, he "encodes" this so to speak into IJ with JOI(=DFW) and the idea of anti-confluentialism. Formally and technically brilliant at the expense of any significant emotional content --- again, paradoxical since he talked so much against this type of fiction.

What gets my goat is that he said he wanted to combine metafiction with straightforward, representational fiction that talked about modern life and what went on in people's heads and day to day lives. The thing is, however, that the cold metafictional games inherently devalue the people's lives, even if he talks about the fact that the games do this, so it's all a gob of shit IMO and if you don't like that you can shove it up your pooper.

found the pope, lmao!

Plenty of eschatology in the world religions and plenty of people writing about it; even political/critical theorists.

o my

"They basically "trick" the reader and critic, if that makes sense. They're the epitome of vapidity with the appearance of depth. They trick the reader into thinking he's going to say something, and he just doesn't".

You are supposed to feel like that.

This is precisely what is wrong with Hal and the motivation behind most of his father's actions.

you have to look for the source of it. read eric voegelin's science, politics and gnosticism; and hans urs von balthasar's prometheus.

>thread derailed by infinite jest

for fucks' sake

>Is there any unironic writing/lectures
>unironic

SINCERE OR UNSARCASTIC. THE WORDS YOU ARE TRYING TO CONVEY ARE SINCERE OR UNSARCASTIC.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS UNIRONY!!!!!

IRONY IS THE SUBVERSION OF EXPECTATED OF EVENTS OR SITUATIONS, PREDOMINANTLY BUT NECESSARILY TO AN OPPOSITE DEGREE.

YOU CAN'T SUBVERT SOMETHING YOU DON'T EXPECT TO HAPPEN.

I HAVE LESS THAN 20 POSTS ON Veeky Forums UNDER MY BELT AND YOU'RE MAKING WE WANT TO TAKE THAT BELT OFF AND UNSARCASTICALLY BEAT YOUR ASS WITH IT.

Now that I'm a little bit calmer, what on earth is OP trying to say exactly?

What does Terrence McKenna have to do with the Eschaton? I mean, what did he contribute to the topic?

Dugins got lectures on youtube I think, he has a pretty nuts article called the eschatology of National Bolshevism

what if you expect the subversion?

check mate :)

Then it wasn't subverted because you expected it.

no, what I'm saying is that people use the term "unironic" when the performance being described is usually to be taken as ironic and subversive without any further informatino because it is so inconceivable that anyone could perform it sincerely. In this way you are made aware that the true subversion is the fact that there is no subversion. "unironic" is a valid descriptor, don't be one of those sanctimonious prescriptive linguists.

directed at

That's why the term "sarcasm" was invented.

She has good skin tone.

The same thing anyone else did. He threw ambiguous and interchangeable vocabulary at it to capture the wishful thinking of wannabe gurus like him.

sarcasm is a feature of language. You don't walk "sarcastically".

damn I hadn't even realised it wasn't originally about infinite jest

Ah say no more. I thought as much.

Jesus what a fucking headache.
>DFW main theme
youtube.com/watch?v=AY8jYVCOoD4