Is asceticism the ultimate literary lifestyle?

Is asceticism the ultimate literary lifestyle?

>tfw too ascetic to take pleasure from reading

i like to think so, but at the same time i can't rid myself of my filthy hedonist habits

Which ones?

How do you manage to stay alive while being an ascetic anyway? Like do you beg for food/money?

i drink too much alcohol and caffeine, laze around in bed longer than i should, and have a sweet tooth for candies and pastries

No, the Middle Path is.

NEETbux

Nope.

Yeah-huh.

No, read Siddhartha.

Recommended good reads on the middle path?

What about Romantics?
The rising popularity of asceticism among young people is pretty sad. The #YOLO people aren't cool but pretending to be an old man is pretty lame as well.

>rising popularity of asceticism among young people
Except it isn't.
Those people just like the ideals that come with asceticism, but none of them really go through with the lifestyle. Current youth are too addicted to constant gratification that they'll settle with just having the thoughts and intentions as being enough.

plebbiest plebber of the plebs

Books are a material pleasure, and a distraction.

Ascetics do not read.

Friendly reminder that Gautama's "middle path" is extreme asceticism by modern standards.

If done properly today, what would it look like?

See the Thai Forest Tradition.

What are some works on asceticism?

Siddhartha. It is literally the most perfect story ever written. Supplement it with Zen Mind: Beginners Mind. These two books will change the way you look at every single thing in the universe.

Die Welt als Wille und Vorstellung

>eastern

nah. but its a necessary phase tho.

what is the final form?

As a lifestyle it's retarded but given the average daily consumption of brain candy it's great to do (and eat and fuck..) nothing once in a while

no such thing. everything is in an eternal cycle of exchange between different forms.

I would say a failed asceticism is more literary.

respect

I think you're confusing existence with being.

why did I think it wasn't going to be sex

>Define "ultimate literary style"

The only thing keeping me from going full ascetic is that it is antagonistic towards writing or producing anything artistic.

kek

>It is literally the most perfect story ever written
The ending was crappy though.

what do you even know, nigger

you must be a perceptive one

youre a fag, an ascetic purge is the way to open your clogged imagination

I have attempted asceticism this year by giving up all my vices and let me tell you it is 100% incompatible with the literary lifestyle. It isolates you from the common man, who cannot relate to you and on whose interactions you as a writer rely upon for reference material so your novels can have psychological depth.

The literary lifestyle does require some engagement with eastern spirituality, but this should be largely for the aesthetic beauty of the scriptures, an apprection of pagan naturalism/atavism, and its unification of poetry and religion like the romantics so admired in the orientals. But more than anything, eastern religion should help the writer to live in an artistic way - Kierkegaard said that it was only when one had lost hope that one could live artistically - without falling back on nihilism, which is truly a scourge of these times