Books published by Veeky Forums

Well? What have you lot published? If you don't want to share then perhaps just provide the initials of the book and the writer if you're comfortable with that. For example:

HPatPS by JKR

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J K Rowling.

Pic unrelated, but I'd be awful impressed if someone managed to name the firearm.

Other urls found in this thread:

www55.zippyshare.com/v/QD0MzhNW/file.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

F-16 Semi-auto AR Rifle?

Fair guess, I can see why you might think that, and I've gotten it before. It's not semi-auto, and it's not an AR. Also, in that pic appears to be an MP5 variant of some sort. Doesn't look like a Navy receiver though; only 3 settings from what I can see, not 4.

Nobody on Veeky Forums has published novels before, or aren't comfortable with talking about them if otherwise?

Im working on my first novel right now, hopefully itll be good enough that a publisher will want it, if not I can just use Amazons publishing service

Dozens of people here have self-published novels. Many dozens of us have had short stories and poems published in magazines and ezines. A few people claim to have published actual novels but for obvious reasons won't discuss the details - either because they're lying or because they're not idiots.

Right on, glad to hear it, good luck! I only just published my first novel about 3 weeks ago, and got another one that's more of a novelette that will be finished in a few days (at least the first draft anyways).

Fair enough, though that's why I mentioned the 'initials' thing. For instance, mine is LatD by JNM. This new one, I think, will be titled WHNMY. Same author name of course, though it's not my own name; pseudonym.

Why are you being cryptic? Either you want to talk about being an author here with all your credentials or you want to hide entirely. It's only fun to try and figure out who you are if you're trying to hide it, not if you're dropping hints.

Well nobody else wants to share, so why should I? Just trying to get the ball rolling, but I'm starting to worry that the ball is simply a cube and isn't going to roll anywhere.

Okay, this is still Veeky Forums so most people prefer not to engage too much publicly as themselves because they're afraid to. Good on you for trying, I'd probably get involved if I had anything of note published.

>What have you lot published?

The pinnacles of post-post-modernism (maybe not Miami though, that sucked).

What on Earth are those about?

Mostly nothing. The first one is almost coherent and then it degenerates from there. My favourite part is the whole page where it just says BOY PUSSY in a large font.

Hahaha, something tells me you're not kidding.

You're not wrong.
There are some interesting parts but it is a complete mess.

I guess this is the dark side of self publishing through CreateSpace, huh? Seems to me that they don't care what's written in the book. Just make sure the ISBN is right, that the cover is at least not criminally inappropriate, and shit like that... then put it up for sale.

See them for yourself. Here's a zip with all 4 Tundra books (the main 3 plus the Kolsti novella):

www55.zippyshare.com/v/QD0MzhNW/file.html

Yeah they don't give a fuck. The book is full of every horrible thing you can think of, they don't care provided that they get a cut and nobody sues them.

Sucks about Amazon absolutely drowning in novels to the point that it's really a struggle to get seen/read, but I'd rather deal with that than to go through a publishing agency. Seems like a lot more of a hassle, not to mention I'd rather deal with an editor that I pay from my own pocket rather than use one that's provided to me by a business. Don't know why. I'd really want to make sure that they didn't fuck about with my book. Make notes and suggestions, but I have the final say on fucking EVERYTHING in regards to MY book. I quite like self publishing, even though it opens me up to potentially making some stupid mistakes, which I have indeed made, but live and learn. As I continue, I will soon be a better editor to myself than any professional editor could possibly be. Well, maybe not SOON, but you know, I'll improve in time. Book after book.

>Amazon absolutely drowning in novels

Thats putting it lightly

So why bother with self-publishing? It's so over saturated chances are no one is ever going to read your book. I'm lucky that I have publishing connections should I want to get anything out there due to nepotism not through any of my own work. Even so, I still wouldn't take the self-publishing route.

People take the self-publishing route out of necessity rather than choice, when no publisher wants your book theres nothing else you can do

page number?

If no publisher wants your book, surely it's better to be critical and work to improve over just publishing?

You're underestimating how vain people can be
"Is my book bad... No, its the publishers who are wrong..."

Some writers simply don't want to make the alterations that editors or publishers might request. They might see it akin to a stranger saying how cute their baby is, then telling them they should give it a different name, dye its hair a different colour, give it contacts for a different eye colour, and finish off with ear piercings and a tattoo.

Alright, maybe that's a bit hyperbolic, but people don't always write just to make money; some people write because there's a story they want to tell, and they want to tell it THEIR way. Anyways, people HAVE self-published and made it big, so it's just a matter of continuing to write, get better, branch out into different ideas that you've got in mind, and provided you don't absolutely suck ASS, you'll have enough novels on enough subjects out there that you might strike gold somewhere. End up with a 50 Shades of Grey, which I hear was not only self-published, but also was the first published work of the author. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone was also the first published novel by J K Rowling, and didn't initially sell well, but then took off.

Yeah CreateSpace makes pretty much TOO easy to get published, but hey, I think everyone should have a chance to publish a novel, even if it ends up flowndering under the weight of all those hundreds of thousands of books coming out over the months.

I don't know, just flick through it until you see the words. It's hard to miss.

>implying the quality of the work has anything to do with whether you get published or not

It's all about marketability. Publishers aim to sell and make profit, not promote "art". Does your book fit with the current trends and consumer behaviour? Does it have the potential to affect those? Are you, the author, marketable? That's what matters. What's actually written is secondary.

Sure if you're writing genre fiction. If you're not then the chance to win a literary award is enough for publishers to take you on board -- assuming you can write well.

No, again, you're fucking naive if you think awards are handed out to those who simply "write well". News flash, awards are only another tool of marketing.

my initials are TP I published some novels you might know them but if I tell you the initials you'll work it out so I'll let you guess ;D

it's clearly a lee-enfield rifle

Not a No.4 Lee Enfield either, nor a No.5 Lee Enfield.

Pic related is a No.5 Lee Enfield's iron sights. No.4 Lee Enfield doesn't have protective ears to protect the rear sight. The notch rear sight of the Mk.III* has protective ears, but as stated it's a notch, not an aperture.