Anyone here gifted but have an LD?

>Gifted
>But have LD?

Describe your experiences

Bump for interest.

This applies to me. I'm very gifted but have ADHD, OCD and anxiety disorder. I usually underachieve on any standardized test, despite being very capable. I have to receive accommodations.

I am very good at abstract thinking, but have low processing speed (I'm deep but slow). I get distracted easily and can hardly ever focus.

I can spend 8-10+ hours studying math/cs without a problem though. I impress my professors quite a bit with my gifts and other people. People know immediately I am very intelligent and in areas of interest of mine it shows.

My gifts cover my LD and my LD covers my gifts in school. Odd to be gifted and have an LD.

OCD and anxiety aren't learning disorders. They might keep you from learning something, but that's secondary.

Then I suppose it's my ADHD. I can never finish an exam on time. With accommodations I tend to score very high on exams. I made a 99 in my last course. Without accommodations I'd fail every exam as I am way to slow in taking them. My brain is weird. I can never focus on something too long.

I kind of rely on ADD medication

Without it my life would have gone to a dark NEET place a long time ago. And I would probably still be 100+ pounds overweight

>lmao I super smart
>But I don't do well in school

Fuck off, I am not saying you have to do well in school to be smart but if you are really intelligent school should be nothing to you

I published and already finished undergrad in pure math (have a math degree). Going to school now, made a 99 in my last course.

Not sure what you're fucking about with. I struggle in ways no one sees because I am gifted but also LD and it makes it seem like there is nothing wrong with me when I have to go through more shit than most people to do something simple. I cannot focus worth a shit and it has major drawbacks in many ways.

Well, I was always considered 'gifted' in school and I am on the autism spectrum.

Due to my very high IQ I was able to get by and even get very good grades for a long time before my disorder manifested itself. I was in gifted programs at school from age 8 and had counseling later on in middle school. Autism spectrum disorder (they made clear it is not Aspergers, but high functioning autism although I am more functional than many with Aspergers) is technically a disability but my parents spoke to the school and I was placed in normal and IB classes in high school.

I got a BS and later an MS in math, my BS with high honors. While I was in college, I was severely depressed, I had very few friends and no social life, I smoked marijuana to manage my depression and am still dependent on it. Fortunately I've never suffered from anxiety, OCD or anything of the sort. Just good old autism and depression.

I finished graduate school last year and got a job as a data analyst after two hellish months of looking for work. It was very boring, and I was fired after 4 and a half months due to social problems caused by my autism, it was a small team and one senior member hated me and I didn't fit in with anyone else so no one really wanted me around. I've been too depressed in the couple months since to even search for a job, I doubt anyone will hire me after being fired from my first real one, I will have to move as I'm in a small town and my lease is through August, I'm afraid my career is over and I'm almost broke, I have no acquaintances but my roomate and pot dealer and am thinking about killing myself when the money runs out.

Also I took a lot of psychedelics in graduate school and am still waiting for further evidence on whether I gained psychic powers and can do magic or am now legitimately schizophrenic.

This is a weird misconception people have about the smart types. I didn't do that well in high school (Only 3.0 GPA). The main reason I don't think I really did well is that I didn't try at all. I'm not talking 'smart but lazy', I'm talking literally ZERO effort during the school day. I Didn't pay attention at all during class. I just did the homework and took the tests and I guess it was enough to make my grades good enough to get into some okay colleges.

Outside of school, I was applying myself though. Starting junior year, by senior year I had built up a pretty crazy portfolio of probably around ten math papers covering some small but interesting problems, and around the same number of papers covering personal projects that I've done. Everything was handwritten, too. That probably worked for some bonus points since the end result looked like a handwritten codex.

You sound like me. Got any computer programming skills?

I wanna make a web server that runs off gpu's and does javascript torrenting to send the media.

Yeah I know python, SAS, some c++, perl, ruby, don't actually have a CS degree or any sort of portfolio though so I can't really get a programming job

If you know Algorithms & Data Structures you could have a shot at passing some interviews.

Don't need a degree to start a website.

I cant pay you but can share advertising revenue when that starts coming in.

With that cv even if you have been fired you'd likely get another job. If you weren't gifted and did all the shit you did you'd definitely be unemployed for life.

How do you write a paper as a highschool student?

seems like some pretentious academic wankery to me

Not a learning disorder, but severe anxiety about becoming ill or being ill in public. Didn't effect me until first year of undergrad (EEE). Only attended exams, work submissions and lab sessions. Did not attend a single lecture in my last 3 years. Managed to keep up with work by reading textbooks at home and Internet.

Decided there's no way I could hold down a job like this and there were a lot of postgrad degree grants and willing advisors at my uni so decided to stay on and do a PhD in physics. Try to limit the amount of time I spend actually at the university to the bare minimum. Try and do as much as possible from home.

I guess though my situation has made learning less convenient, I have had the advantage of not having to deal with the social pressures of university life and distractions like going out (especially during undergrad).

WRT to abilities, I'd say I'm gifted but by no means a full autismo genius. Not sure what I'm going to do after I finish my post doc. Wonder if there's a hedgefund who'll let me work from home...

So who molested you?

oh boy

i learned how to read before i was two and have real vivid memories from as early as 6 mos old

as a young child i always had an interest in music and my mom's loaded rich professional musician friend even told her i had perfect pitch but my parent's decided to ignore that and sign me up for language school and sports against my wishes. i remember crying every night and wanting to go home sick for most of grades 1-5

i was tested for ld, even though i think i was mostly bored, i remember one of the first days of grade 1 the teacher wrote "was" and "wuz" on the black board, and told us that now that we're in grade 1 we will need to learn the difference... holy shit this is basic. then i basically checked out on education entirely

i forget what exactly i have, "adhd" presumably, because i was put on ritalin for a brief period in the 4th grade but i faked adverse side effects so they would stop giving it to me.

i managed to fake my way through to an undergrad liberal arts degree having never opened a text book, so i guess i'm not a complete failure

needless to say i'm a 30+ year old trade worker with a substance abuse problem. i make better money than a lot of better educated people so i guess it's not all bad, huh?

to be honest my childhood (6-13) was the worst part of my life so far, so i consider myself lucky.

Fuck off Freud, if I was molested I wouldn't be a virgin and would have higher self-esteem

your mistake is the liberal arts meme

i didn't pay for it so it's ok

You paid for it with your time.

it was fun, and i probably wouldn't have any friends now if i hadn't done it

About the virgin part you're right (many molested people grow up to become promiscuous) but about the self-esteem part you couldn't be more wrong.

Severe ADHD and gifted
>been taking amphetamines since 6
>now 21 and completely dependent on Meds to do even routine tasks
>cannot follow a spoken conversation
>cannot willfully focus my intellegence
>creative, fast thinker, rational
>doesn't matter I'll be thinking about networks or fantasizing about utopia within 30 seconds of starting a task.
>try to find simple information on Google
>5 hours later I have 300 tabs open and have read 6 studies completely unrelated to my original objective that I completely forgot about
>just sat in class and read encyclopedias and off topic text books as a kid
>graduated HS with a 2.1 GPA
>had to go to night school to make up for missed credit because I skipped so much
>33 on the ACT
>have never fulfilled a commitment
>have never completed a task
>severe, anthropocene related grief permeates through my life
>can't look at a bag of chip without thinking of the love in losing
>live as a hermit in the Ozark mountains, eating mushrooms and compulsively studying ecology

If you obviously show that you understand things yet have difficulty with test taking then you are still smart. I think you're the idiot for not being wise enough to understand that humans are a bit more complex than that.

The fucked up thing is I know how to fix everything, but I can't even try to begin.

I guess I could just be an intellectual and publish analysis and theory, but all I want to do is apply what I learn to making the world a better place.

I empathize with you, fellow mental diaorder-induced pseudobrainlet. I can barely form sentences with proper syntax, without speaking invertedly like yoda. Don't do drugs if you're already predisposed to ADHD/OCD and the like. Ironically, it was piracetam thay screwed me further.
Alas, we can fix some damage. I found that feelings of belonging or self-acceptance ameliorate and align my brain processes, but everything is still malfunctioning.
We should just kys.

I'm gifted but I have downs

>faked adverse side effects to ritalin

not bad

How did you write that post if your ADHD is so severe?

I have OCD and have taken marijuana a few times and had no problem with it.

I wrote that post when I should have been working
I can do things, it's just hard for me to pick the things that I do.
It's a lose of exucutive function, and unfortunately agency. That's my best excuse

This is also something I'm wondering.

I will give you a hint:
He didn't actually write papers.

inb4 "but I did!": show proof.

me too, smoke weed and hash in medium quantities and had no problems.

I'm way past the don't do drugs mark.
Psychedelics have only been to my benifit. However, smoking weed all day every day for a few years really fucked up my life and brain chemistry. I hopelessly abuse marijuana, I've been addicted to opium poppy and marijuana and numbing myself with weed was the worse addiction of the two

Yeah tested into gifted at a young age and always had issues paying attention. Probably not a LD thought just get bored as fuck too easily