What if life develops on other planets all the time and just goes extinct a few minutes later?

What if life develops on other planets all the time and just goes extinct a few minutes later?

Other urls found in this thread:

nature.com/nature/journal/v543/n7643/full/nature21377.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What if you haven't defined what life is well enough to even consider your question?

Extinction events happen only once every few hundred million years.

The most likely explanation to the Fermi paradox is that the speed of light is hard limit on traveling matter. That combined with the fact that intelligent might not equate to the ability to travel in space or transmit messages to us. Maybe dolphins evolved on another planet that are extremely smart, but they have no arms and must live in water.

They only happen that often on Earth.

nature.com/nature/journal/v543/n7643/full/nature21377.html
>Scientists find worlds oldest fossil
>3.77 billion year old
>it proves life existed on earth less than 1 billion years after the formation of the solar system

If life can form this quickly on Earth, it's likely live is quite common in the universe. There's probably life forms growing anywhere where there's some sort of mineral rich hydro vents in the universe. There's a few moons in our own solar system that are like that.

>IMPLYING

you have a data set of 1

The methods we use to record the age of shit is incredibly retarted

Maybe you should write Nature, the most respected journal in the world, and tell them they made a mistake!

Why not. There must be life elsewhere.
Life is just a stage. And humans live a long time before they stop living. Because of the form of our mouth we can talk and because of our fingers we can write. And because of that we developed education to a level we have schools. Because of that our technology is good enough to send out messages away from our planet. That are a lot of factors. So not getting anything back is also not that strange.

Any organism that is alive and can reproduce.

>Life consists of organisms that are alive.
Nice self-referential logic you got there,

Ability to locally decrease entropy and replicate.

There are chemical reactions like that

Not replicate, unless you really stretch the definition. I mean shit you could say ice "replicates" it's structure when water freezes after a nucleation point initiates the freezing.

then so what?
how can i apply this conjecture to my life as it exists right now?

Just meant to say they're not dead, as in sitting there motionless.

We can see conditions of other regions and conditions of space being far less hospitable than our own. That life cuts cut off early more often elsewhere than it would here is fully supported by the information we have.

Life isn't just a matter about having water and not being so close or too distant from the star. It has another conditions to develop (by what we know so far): The planet must be rotating so the heat is spread through the whole atmosphere, it should be spinning and must have a magnetic field so there is little damage made by the star activity, atmosphere... About that 7 exo-planets earth-like discovered in Trappist, only 3 of them can REALLY support life as we know. But we don't know yet if life can develop in another ways, since there is no proof, so you can't just say with conviction that "life out there could be not like earth life, so all this things can be ignored!!!"

I thought all of them were tidally locked.

Fuarkin' love Nature, man

No it's not likely at all, we only have our own planet and our limited time scope for reference. We just don't have any indication of the possibility of life outside of ourselves, so considering we don't actually know how life initially started on our own planet. We cannot assume nor dismiss the possibility of life outside of us or of us being the only "life". I say "life" because we could probably broader that word significantly.

>Implying there aren't other forms of life out there that thrives in heat and radiation

There probably is, but there's an opportunity cost to such adaptions. It would need to put massive resources into repair of both basic functions and any genetic equivalent. It would lack both resources and flexibility to do much else.

Not to say it's insurmountable, but it's a big negative.

Also, such a tougher form of life likely was birthed in a more favorable environment, which then slowly got worse. There aren't many scenarios where it wouldn't continue to degrade past the point of continued development of life.

Maybe not minutes, but it'extremely possible that multiple life forms had gone extinct in other planets.

If you know something just say so. I feel like the powers to be are slowly getting us used to the idea of extraterrestrial life. Easing us into the harsh truth that they are out there, and maybe down here? If you are looking for people to work on an et-project with you, pick me. I can handle the truth.

We are to Ascend.

Namaste.

What if there was life on other planets but the amount of time it took for light to reach our telescopes was to long and they've already went extinct by time we're seeing them.

Maybe every planet once had life but one thing or another about that life was unsustainable and they all eventually died off.

Then that would be it.

Life by definition is able to perceive and react to its environment, its sorta hard to get rid of, I don't see life emerging in such a chaotic place

I think that what's life also needs to be a question. Probably, as biology says, it beginned in Earth as atoms of Carbon and some more stuff (I guess) in water running behind stuff to produce energy, like things in the water, and then billions of years later, evolute into what they're today. But why does this atoms needed so bad to do this that they begun to make bigger structures (still small to our eyes) and then became "alive"? This is something that I don't get it at all lol

What if life formed on a planet but it didn't have the capability to reproduce so the very first generation just went extinct.

But then isn't life, it's just like a virus.

>Using a narrow definition of life

That likely happened a lot on earth before something stuck around.

t. engineer