What do you think of this dude...

What do you think of this dude? I was thinking about reading In Search of Lost Time but I'm not sure if it's as good as they say.

Anyone on this piece of shit website who will say Proust isn't good is a retard. People far smarter than them and far more well read than them know that Proust is a genius. Read him, OP.

Absolute genius. It's very long but hell it's rewarding. Go for it, it's a total must-read.

You know you can always just fucking read him and decide for yourself. I don't get why people here act like you're contractually obliged to finish a book once you open it

It is the best thing that came out of the 20th century.

Modern medicine a long second...

It's better. But you have to finish before

Awful! Disgusting burgeois wank! Sweaty and stinky scrotum letters!

>inb4 Proust is a Genius and if you don't half-sexually worship him you're not well read.

>Sweaty and stinky scrotum letters!

Are you still talking about Proust?

This is the meme-pinion I'm most acquainted with. Not OP, but I've picked up and bailed on In Search of Lost Time before simply because of it's daunting length, and the opportunity cost of reading a dozen other books. Can anyone quantify exactly why it's so supposedly rewarding?

I imagine its mostly a product of people wanting to justify their time investment

It's shit, and anyone who willingly spent months reading the whole thing is mentally deficient

Yes

I think he was pretending to be Joyce, the only writer who'd accuse Proust of being bourgeois and also criticise him for not writing enough about scrotums and wanking.

De Botton wrote a whole book on the value you of it, if you can believe, I saw a copy at the bookstore the other day. Personally, it completely changed the way I read prose, and my appreciation of it. Also, a comfy as hell read.

>the only writer who'd accuse Proust of being bourgeois
Well I don't know about that. I mean, most don't accuse, yes, they merely point it out

I finally pulled the trigger on reading the whole novel (after finishing Swann's Way twice but never continuing) and I'm mostly loving it, closing in on the last quarter of it. It's the ultimate in prose>plot, but the prose and his digressions on memory, life, love, death, &c. are wonderful. The only major caveat I'd warn against is that some of the salon/party scenes (particularly in Volume 3) go on for too long, but it's a minor complaint overall.

I wouldn't say it's not good. I'd just say it's not worth reading.

Proust is a genius (disclaimer: I have only read Swann's Way) but De Botton is a complete sellout pseud

Morrissey approves of him so you don't need any further validation

Oh I completely agree, he churns out pop-philosophy for people who think big words=clever. It was just an aside.

very good but you might loose much of the value if you're not reading it in french or italian or spanish.

>or italian or spanish.

Stop right there

Having read both, I'd argue that Ginzburg's translation is better than the original.

Literally the most fashionable, refined, Veeky Forums human in history.

Of course that's not to say he was the best writer. That award probably goes to Dostoevsky or Kafka.