Should I buy a Carter funayuki or some kind of R2 gyuto?

Should I buy a Carter funayuki or some kind of R2 gyuto?

I want an upgrade over my VG10 pleb knives, I love the ease of sharpening of crabon but maybe that's bad logic because if I sharpen less, it shouldn't matter if it's less fun, right? On the other hand, sharpening crabon is pretty therapeutic.

Also, could Carter be a racist? People who work with their hands often are, and I don't want to support Made in USA anymore, if at all possible. On the one hand he is a hard core weeaboo, so maybe he's not such a bad guy, but on the other hand, weeb '''logic'''' can get pretty weird sometimes.

Also, knife general.

>I don't want to support Made in USA anymore

why? I mean, why though??? are you in America? why wouldn't you want to support your own countries economy

if america is producing low quality why support them?

>le epin drumpf meme

is this the end for him?

"Manufacturing" =\= "My own country's economy"

There's an unfortunate group of retards in this country who think that they had it good back in the day because they were bashing nails all day and not because of a unique set of economic circumstances that happened to end when manufacturing started involving more complex, sophisticated, international networks of suppliers, vendors, subcontractors, and so on.

So instead of demanding say, higher wages or a more progressive tax system or a better structure for funding training and education, they decided that brown people and people who went to college are the problem.

As a result, since they have declared war on me, I don't wish to support them any more than absolutely necessary and prefer to import stuff as much as possible. My love affair with American-made goods ended on November 8, 2016.

Btw, "supporting some random dude who makes luxury knives for fun" isn't "supporting the economy"

Supporting the economy means not scaring off all the talent who wants to move here

I understand in this specific situation it's a little different because it's been said knives from other countries are of higher quality, but do you mean overall across the board not supporting any products made in the US?

Why do you think we started making lower quality shit in the first place? It's most likely because people preferred to buy lower quality products from overseas. So america, being the capitalist country it is, has to keep up somehow. Which leads to more shit being made by less skilled and cheaper employees and/or awful mass produced assembly line robots, which leads to less blue collar jobs and then an asshole like Trump gets elected based on the platform of jobs. So good going dickface. you got Trump elected.

The other guy you're replying to is not me (the op), but it's important to remember that walmart shopping rustics are the ones buying all the china crap, and the ones who voted trump. They dug their own grave. I've only been inside a walmart once in my life, and it was just out of curiosity

I've always made an effort to buy American even though it costs substantially more, and they showed their gratitude by doing this

No sympathy, ever again. Let them overdose in their meth shitholes

fair enough. I mean I agree that wal-mart and stores of the like have been a fucking cancer, morally and probably economically. I still don't know how cool it is to declare war on your own country by continuing to feed into the same thing you've always not supported.

It's not declaring war on my own country though, where are you even getting this? First of all, they declared war on me, not the other way around. I thought we were friends. Second, it's simply choosing not to support a certain sector of the economy, one which has about as much relevance as fur trapping these days.

Take Allen Edmonds for instance. I've given them probably $1500 if not more over my lifetime. And look what they went and did. Not anymore, fuckers. I'm buying imports from now on.

Anyway can we talk about knives?

I see you weren't making any progress shilling over at /pol/ and now you've decided to come here.

I've been to /pol/ once, about 3 months ago. Glad to see someone else over there shares my point of view, though.

But going back to knives, R2 or Shirogami?

>And look what they went and did

what did they go and do?

and yes, I know this is about knives, that's why I asked if it was all across the board not supporting any american made products whatsoever

I didn't know Donald Trump browsed Veeky Forums

hahaha holy fuck this thread is gaaaaaaaaaay

the thing is I don't even like trump. I mean, I support him and I hope he does what he says he's going to do, but I am extremely suspicious of his rich business man ass, that's for sure.

It's not across the board, only when the manufacturer is suspect. I've ruled out basically all American knife makers except Carter because since he is a weeb, I am willing to entertain the possibility he might not be a batshit crazy racist.

Actually there is a woman in New Hampshire I believe, whose work I looked at, but her knives are not to my taste although she is probably a decent enough human being. Point being if I can't find what I'm after domestically I'll buy something Japanese.

I just ordered a Munetoshi Kurouchi Gyuto over at JNS because it's cheap and sharp and tells my grilled guests that I'm a real man with my rusty knife. And in all honesty I believe 90% with a knife is how much you like its soul. If you know how to sharpen you will be fine with a 20$ wallmart discount knife.

What is the point of kurouchi anyway? You're going to have to remove the black when the oxidation sets in anyway, so why not just grind it all off and make for easier maintenance?

The point is to look super cool ninja *teleports behind you* m'fedora.

>Spending more than $20 on knives
>Falling for the cutting Jew
>Not sharpening your knives with a belt grinder at 999999rpm
Fucking weeb knifefags are the worst.

Carter supplies to celebrities for top dollar, even if he's racist he'll pretend not to be. So just like most liberals we are all forced to hang out with.

Japanese knife makers mostly deal with Japanese, they are probably openly racist.

I'm fine with Japanese knife makers being racist since they don't vote in the US, and I'm not Japanese

I have a lower tolerance for Americans being racist against other Americans and I won't support their business if I have any reason to suspect they might want me in a concentration camp

As a result of this thread *I* want you in a concentration camp.

>What is the point of kurouchi anyway?

Some people like the way it looks. Personally I think it looks good on some knives but not all. Generally speaking it's also less expensive than the alternative. I've bought a few custom knives from Watanabe Blade, and for a couple of them I asked for Kurouchi finish to save money.

>>You're going to have to remove the black when the oxidation sets in anyway, so why not just grind it all off and make for easier maintenance?

I can see your point, though in my experience I've never had a problem with the black part getting oxidized, and I've had my kurouchi knives for more than 5 years now, with near daily use.

It's not the black part that's the problem, it's the grey part between the KU and the blade road

The only way to keep it clean is to scrub it with a cork and some barkeepers friend

But that gradually rips off the KU and it just ends up looking ragged and fucked up

Don't buy those stupid mall ninja shit knifes
>le folded 1000 times nipponese steel with round handle and black shit still on the metal
If you see that, it's tourist crap

But a good knife that doesn't have gimmicks all over it

Yeah, for $20 from a restaurant supply store, not that weaboo forded one mirrion times bullshit.

What is the point of the Wa-style handle? Does it offer some benefits in certain applications over the western Yo-variety that most people (myself included) are familiar with? Drawbacks?

I haven't had a problem with rust or oxidization anywhere on the blade. It's no different than maintaining a normal carbon steel knife. All I do is wipe the blade dry with a kitchen towel after each use, and then when I'm done cooking and cleaning up I wipe it down with a lightly oiled rag.

I prefer a western style handle for anything that involves chopping, be it small stuff like herbs up through a full-on meat cleaver. For other uses I don't have a problem with either one. I own knives with both types of handle and I don't see any functional difference.

The one complaint I might see is that the western handle on some knives tends to encourage the "fist grip" among new cooks, but honestly that's a matter of training, not so much the handle itself.

The point is to bilk moronic fedoralords bearded weebs out of money for a garbage unfinished handle.

Fucking overpriced garbage knives these idiots waste money on.

>unfinished handle
they make wa handles with silver ferrules, stop being poor