Americans hate free education. Fact

Other urls found in this thread:

archiveteam.org/index.php?title=Main_Page
slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2012/10/18/minnesota_bans_coursera_state_takes_bold_stand_against_free_education.html
news.berkeley.edu/2016/09/13/a-statement-on-online-course-content-and-accessibility/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

For a couple reasons. First, there's no point learning the material without getting a degree to prove you learned the material. The only people who care enough to learn it in the first place are already attending college. People generally don't even like learning, even when they have paid for the damn course.

So here you have what the general populace view as free, time-wasting, useless torture.

Honestly I agree with the time-wasting part. If you are passionate about this shit to learn on your own, just make it your career already. Otherwise, just do something fun. Learning science isn't going to make you some enlightened genius, and I'm so sick of these pompous neets bragging about how smart they are because they learn this for fun. They don't learn it for fun, they learn it to brag that they learned it.

/rant over

Install youtube-dl OP. Download all of them, and repost them. We need a mirror.

>10,000 videos

OP here, I did that already for the important courses. Which is basically only CS 61C to me.

Haha yeah we do
Just look at our public school system, they try to cut every corner possible to save any bit of money.

Fucking run a script that does it.

> Americans who make it their business to sell education want people to pay for it
Those bastards

So, they're moving the lessons to a "private website" and it can take like 5 months,

So...

WHY THE FUCK THEY WANT TO DO THIS

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE FUCKING AMERIKEKS

Your problem is that you're only looking at insecure neets. Learning things in one area, even though it might seem too specialized, helps you to improve your mind in a lot of different ways, and I can't see that as a bad thing. Have a conversation with an intelligent person who's not from Veeky Forums and is therefore mature and secure of themselves (probably), and you will see that people just like to be well rounded and learn things in different areas. You don't need to be incredibly interested in something to study it, and you definitely don't need to make it your job. Also, you can't major in ten different things, but you might be interested in ten different things. Education doesn't have to be torture, and it's not if you have the right mentality.

>10,000 videos

How can we save this before day 15?

make a list and a script, split it through several people, like 500 per person, make a thread with people claiming each part, gather it all somewhere nice, done.

Freedom is Communism son. In America if you want something you pay for it.

How common is it really for universities to put a lot of course content online, accessible to anyone?

Even in countries where uni is free, don't they at least want you to enroll as a student and register for classes to see their content?

Why can't I learn something for fun while working, or something that is hard to make a career out of?

Because judging strangers make me feel better about myself.

>can't
the issue is not that you can't, it's that you won't

Berkeley is a meme

i've learnt so much CS from mit ocw, i hope this isn't the start of something that brings down all the online courses unis have put on the internet

wwhy even

It is. Stanford is removing some of their courses. Private universities will receive letters from DOJ too.

why

They takes federal money. They need to comply to ADA. Something along that line.

it's just a camera, how expensive is it really
what's ADA

This was exactly my point. You can do whatever you want, but can you honestly tell me that learning a subject that is ultimately useless to you is more fun than hanging with friends? Is it more rewarding than other hobbies line music or carpentry?

Ultimately (unless you constantly brag about how "smart" you are) it will feel like a waste of time since you have literally nothing to show for your work.

>ADA
Americans with Disabilities Act

>friends

Sorry, I guess I need to make an exception for learning languages.

Blame the blind pieces of shit.

Berkeley offered all these courses for free until a bunch of blind fucks filed a federal lawsuit for not providing subtitles and other accessibility features to all these videos. Imagine how much money and time it would take to make all this shit accessible...

So the university was forced to stop uploading last year and now they'll take it all down because of the lawsuit.

Again, thank those spoiled blind fucks. Never met a blind person I didn't hate. They're usually just fucking jaded and cantankerous people.

>blind
>subtitles

Dafuq?

holy shit that is actual the real reason ffs

Yes, that's a real reason. I go to Berkeley. It was covered in our campus newspaper. Everyone was pissed off because people used to skip classes and just watched shit on YT.

But then these blind fucks, who don't even go to Berkeley and don't even take any classes, filed a federal lawsuit because they could and because they feel like the whole world needs to bow to them because they have handicaps.

Whole ADA should be fucking scrapped.

Anyway, I see a lot of disinformation about what happened and OP's a fucking retard. Now you all know the real reason.

Next time you see one of these self-entitled fucks, let them know they're scum.

>First, there's no point learning the material without getting a degree to prove you learned the material.

Are you fucking retarded?

>I go to Berkeley.
Please don't lie. It's a sin.

kys.

Now only Berkeley students will have access to lessons?

Fuck

Just archive everything before it's taken offline

I won't. You go hell for that.
Read the Scriptures.

Remember, kids. Go to school. Read the Bible. Don't fornicate.

Insults aren't a counter argument...faggot.

Speak for yourself, tardo.
I've finished two courses already online.

Someone mirror all of this shit please

What is this new authentication thing they will require? Can someone explain how the new process will work.

Not him, but are you joking?
I had a job once that asked "do you know (skill)?", when I said no he pointed me to a lecture series like the one being pulled down.
You can only fit so much into a 4 yr degree and with current trends, I'd assume there will be less and less covered by such a certificate

thats why you run a script retard

that's more data than more consumer desktops can store.

How many videos is it if you ignore the humanities and soft science nonsense?

>blind
>subtitles

OOOKAY

is anyone in this thread actually thinking of downloading some of ucb's videos?

I am going to download some biology courses, but I doubt I will bother uploading them to youtube just to have them taken down with DMCAs

>muh friendz and musik ;)

You don't belong on this board.

I fucking love to see the left eat themselves alive

HAHA who could ever think up something more retarded than this??? Liberal college gives classes FOR FREE (que the liberal cum fountains) then fucking BLIND people complain that their aren't subtitles. Then the free classes get cancelled! HAHHAHAHAHA! LIKE NIGGA! FUCKIN LIE TO THEM! HAHA TELL THEM THERE ARE SUBTITLES!!!

>Berkeley

Fuck that anarcho-communist shithole.

>First, there's no point learning the material without getting a degree to prove you learned the material. The only people who care enough to learn it in the first place are already attending college
Wrong
I rigorously educate myself and resent having to "steal" knowlege(money) in order to do so.
I don't learn to brag, I learn because it's interesting, bragging is a secondary benifit. Even before I could read I would demand to be read nothing but animal encyclopedias.
I'm studying ecology and apply that to my work in agriculture, I practice field biology just so I can learn about and utilize my local biodiversty.
Fuck you for thinking I ought to pay with my labour in order to be able to labourously learn about the world around me/ have a peer group. It's fucked that I can aquire expert knowlege only to be locked into solitude in my personal ivory tower because I didn't bother paying to get into someone else's and built my own instead.

Your post reeks of need for validation.

Cmon man, who are you trying to impress on here?

u are so cool, shitting on people who want to learn more things

mabye he just enjoys learning things?
never considered that possibility? of course not

I met a blind guy who can see with echo-location makes tounge clicks.
He is independent, a real human bean and a real hero.

Contact archiveteam
archiveteam.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

i really cant help but feel like this has something to do with trump

The whole thing started in Obama's term.

Typical american can only see self improvement in terms of certificates or ROI

A.) Who are you trying to impress with anti-education views?

B.) Why does something need to be done to impress another

So I'm autistic enough to download some of this shit because I have unlimited bandwith and good upload/download speeds
Should I just upload every course to the internet archive as a zip file?
Which courses are important?

why are you posting on Veeky Forums instead of taking advantage of these resources?

because he's full of shit.

In case you're serious, it's because we are all failures here in Veeky Forums. Especially Veeky Forums.

Bunch of fakes, pretenders, and daydreamers.

>First, there's no point learning the material without getting a degree to prove you learned the material
I want to cry

slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2012/10/18/minnesota_bans_coursera_state_takes_bold_stand_against_free_education.html

>First, there's no point learning the material without getting a degree to prove you learned the material.
t. shekelstein

yes. upload as much as you can.

>Run a script that downloads them all until you reach your HDD capacity
>Upload them somewhere, then delete
>Rinse and repeat

Shouldn't be too hard of a job for some script kiddie with a fast PC and mutli-terrabyte HDD.

Upload them to torrents then. It literally takes a couple of minutes at worst.

Create a torrent and I will help seeding

> UC Berkeley
and nothing of value was lost

I don't even have enough space for saving all videos, or the skills to do proper automation except downloading playlists with youtube-dl
It would work if everyone only downloaded one type of course at a time, then we could probably split it up into a few torrents

Download Veeky Forums related shit first, like math, physics, compsci. Law and shit you dont download yet

So it seems that the internet archive has shitty upload speeds. Are there other safe locations where I could upload this shit to?

>So I'm autistic enough to download some of this shit because I have unlimited bandwith and good upload/download speeds

Godspeed.

>Should I just upload every course to the internet archive as a zip file?

Either that or torrent them. I'd pick the second.

>Which courses are important?

All are, but some are more important than others. Focus on STEM first.

have you checked if your friend is really a bat

The problem with torrents is that
- most people don't seed at all so I'm usually the only seeder for more rare shit
- I probably don't have enough space to download everything and store it for a long time
- If I delete it and the other person too, the file is completely gone

But yeah, I can make torrents if you actually download and store them

>Computer Science
>EE
>education

Those are hobbies, nothing of value is lost with those gone

>you can only do one thing in life
>if you're not working on your autistic focus you're wasting time!!
>if you dare stray from it whats your excuse?

So I guess you're training for olympic shitposting?

And to answer your stupid question I like posting on Veeky Forums, its enjoyable and occasionally informative. Often I do it on the bus when I'd otherwise just listen to music or the news.

>Make k-12 free
>Everyone completes k-12
>HS diploma is bare minimum for a decent job because everyone has one
>Doing the same for college degrees will be great
>America 2030
>Taxes have skyrocketed to pay for Lashaunda to get degree in African American Studies
>"THE COUNTRY BENEFITS FROM HAVING MORE EDUCATED CITIZENS THAT WUZ KANGZ!"

the worst part is that k-12 is designed in such a way so that everyone passes. if you're not borderline retarded but live in a blue collar area (filled with spics and most likely niggers) you will be dragged down for years. even if you take honors/AP classes in high school you still waste all 8 years of elementary school.

the way they curriculum should be designed is so that the average grade is a C, or lower, and failure is a real possibility.

>there's no point learning the material without getting a degree to prove you learned the materia

I'm a high school drop out. I built an IT business, made money, and I'm now "retired". I don't have a single degree or certification. I learned most everything I needed to learn on the internet. The best part is I can shitpost nearly 24/7.

This.

K-12 needs to be fixed instead of extending the problem to college.

>autism

Holy shit why is everyone so stupid? They are uploading newer shit later. It's out of date so they're removing it. Fucking idiots.

My dad is legally blind, and has been since 2001. I can confirm that blind people are indeed assholes. I think about killing him at least every other day. Can't wait to grad and move out.

>anarcho-communist
Replacing crowns with kippahs is not anarcho-communism.

still better than the uneducated trash that make up the conservative party

Has to be a troll. You can't possibly be this fucking stupid.

so has anyone ripped it?

>Berkeley offered all these courses for free until a bunch of blind fucks filed a federal lawsuit for not providing subtitles and other accessibility features to all these videos. Imagine how much money and time it would take to make all this shit accessible...

This has to be fake. You need some sauce on something as ridiculous as this.

>It's out of date so they're removing it
Knowledge (that wasn't falsified) is almost never out of date you fucking idiot.

from September last year
>news.berkeley.edu/2016/09/13/a-statement-on-online-course-content-and-accessibility/
>UC Berkeley has long been committed to ensuring equal access to students, faculty and staff with disabilities. Despite the absence of clear regulatory guidance, we have attempted to maximize the accessibility of free, online content that we have made available to the public. Nevertheless, the Department of Justice has recently asserted that the University is in violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act because, in its view, not all of the free course and lecture content UC Berkeley makes available on certain online platforms is fully accessible to individuals with hearing, visual or manual disabilities.

Unless you are a doctor or a lawyer, you do not need a degree. Proof of ability is shown -BY- your ability. College is the biggest scam in the world today.

Good luck finding a job with your youtube degree.

Not unless your a genius like me. I haven't even started college and I already know PDEs, vector calculus, real and complex analysis, I know about uniqueness and existence. I learned a long time ago that American schools are a fucking joke. Im going to college in Germany and probably Russia as well. Plus I won't have to deal with tons of japs and poo in the loos.