You traveled in time back to 1970 (can't take anything with you)

You traveled in time back to 1970 (can't take anything with you)

What is your invention?

I'd probably write popular songs I'd heard before but never were.

The Internet.

C and C++, fuck Bell Labs and Stroustrup

>"I'm an ideas guy. You write the code and build the hardware and I'll take 95% of the profit (because the idea is the important part.)"

You'll be a laughing stock.

Mobile phone

The fleshlight.

A time machine, apparently

I'd be smarter than almost anyone, so I'd get an at least average-paying job, learn a lot of programming on the said and wait until the late 90s to make my own Facebook, Google or Youtube.

on the side*

PCR. This is the ONLY right answer for a biologist.

DNA Polymerase.

electricity

1970 not 1870

Atari style game console

Memes. I'll copyright all the memes and then, when internet comes around, I'll be filthy rich.

For that you would need to make home computers popular. So that's why I'll make cheap computers with the current tecnology, before having a PC become a thing. So since now everyone has a cheap PC, but there aren't many things on Internet such as sites and programs, I'll make a lot of them and monopolize the Internet. Basically almost all the money from the web will pass in my hands.

the virtual boy

the blockchain

Hot pockets

cornballer

The gun

if you could recreate the internet from scratch, what would you change? Not it's content, but it's protocol or how it's structured. What could you improve with a blank slate?

80's Music

Invent something better than HTTP

Modern cell phone

i'd just file patents for all the neat shit
patent troll OG

too bad they already had proto-internet that time

you'd probably be taken away and killed for leaking military information

Snapchat

FACEBOOK.

then I'd destroy it in the laval pools of mount doom.

Why stop there.

Facebook, twitter, instagram, spotify and skype.

All created by the same guy.

A finger box or a barrels roll
Or [spoiler] both[/spoiler]

you missed paypal and ebay.

Security baked in from the start.

memes

Social Justice. . ..

Why not take it one step further, and sell/code/storyboard proof of concept works of games that have yet to come out, publicly, with the invention of a home console? "Local game developer sells several hit classics with first generation video game console, doesn't suck, makes billions".

I'd become a novelist and write stories that have yet to come about. I'd also use future events in those stories, for example, a world where 9/11 happened.
>implying it never happens

Nice.

The slap chop!

Not him, but I can program, and I have a general understanding of how it works (HTTP, DNS, routing and such), so I could probably get a couple electrical engineers and computer scientists and do this shit. Also, my HTTP implementation would have cookies from the get go.

I have one of those

wow

It's not necessarily the structure of the internet, but I would have audio and video and other html 5 features from the start, so people wouldn't have to rely on shitty plugins, such as flash for these features (I don't think video playback would have been possible in the 90s, but I would convince them to have these features for future proofing). I would also have css and javascript from the start, and push for the adoption of HTTPS from the start, by setting up something like let's encrypt (I don't know how feasible it would have been to use HTTPS back then, with slower processors though). As for the structure, I would use ipv6 or some equivalent from the start, since right now we are running out of ipv4 addresses, and switching to ipv6 is a pain in the ass.