Why are customers at restaurants so fucking rude and picky...

Why are customers at restaurants so fucking rude and picky? Then they have the nerve to go on yelp and complain about absolute bullshit regardless of how nice service was or how good the food was.

Other urls found in this thread:

convertunits.com/salary/50000
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

some D list celebrity thinks her opinion matters

lmao

I mean they did comp her meal

>arrogant nobody attention-whore customer
>shitty overpriced restaurant for rich idiots
>passive-aggressive attention-whore waiter

There is literally no reason to care about any of this.

As a restaurant it is your utmost duty to provide only the highest degree of service to those who have earned to right to bear a blue checkmark. We unknown masses are but insects before or verified overlords, and we would do well to know our place.

lol the waiter's twitter

> a masterpiece of chaos and proportion | | __ | | actor. director. writer.

This faggot is so LA.

Maybe this flyover hag should fuck off back to the ozarks where she belongs.

I recognize that view

I jacked off there once

I don't know. Getting the order wrong 5 times seems pretty inexcusable, I'd be pissed even if that happened at Taco Bell, and she wound-up still paying them $83 for something.

I'm with this guy, I'd give them two or three tries max. It's understandable getting pissed if they fuck up that many times. The waiter seems more like the attention whoring egoist than the customer does.

She's from England

So like he said, she's a flyover hag.

>implying west brom isnt flyover.

nice try cletus

People are assholes and use customer service workers to take out their frustrations. I swear there are people that go out to eat just to bitch and complain and take their anger out on someone.

"Wrong" could just mean that she was being a nitpicky cunt and sending stuff back because it wasn't hot/cold/whatever enough for her liking.

Can't wait till you uppity, self entitled waiters are all replaced.

>order chicken sliders at Arby's
>the faggots give my ham sliders
Fuck you losers, it's putting meat in bread. What the fuck is so hard.

I almost always enjoy eating out even if the food isn't 100%.
The food I get in places out is better than what I would be able to cook, so I'm always generally happy.
I'm an easy guy to please to be fair.

>customer service workers

At most restaurants are unnecessary.

Ruth Chris', sure, a waiter to kiss your ass is a part of the cost.

Applebees, server robot is fine.

all they ordered was a couple burgers with sides of truffle fries and butter lettuce. Even if they were nitpicky I'm not sure how you can manage to get it wrong 5 times.

>in the middle of intense, intimate conversation with the person across from me
"BEEP BOOP HOW ARE YOUR FRIES"
>atmosphere shattered
Yeah, at applebee's and shitty resturaunts they'll be replaced by tablets and food runners soon enough, but once you get into even moderately high-end places the discretion of a human being is too important to the experience of eating out.

>"BEEP BOOP HOW ARE YOUR FRIES"

your imagination sux. AI can easily read/understand things like humans being engaged in conversation. with constant image recognition, the bot could be instantly be 'beckoned' by "eye contact" or just leave you alone if you don't look directly at it

we're not that far away today.

>highly advanced ai technology in an industry with as slim a profit margin as restaurants
1. the maintenance alone will be more expensive than minimum wage for the next 200 years
2. there's a very real value to interacting with a human being in a restaurant setting, especially (but not limited to) a bar setting

For real if I managed that place I'd be so fucking mad that this story leaked.

Yes guests get mad, yes servers get stuffed, welcome to the restaurant business.

Don't even know who the fuck Cat Deely is but I don't think a customer should ever be shamed publicly. If I went to that restaurant I'd be concerned the staff would gossip about me if I offended them in any way.

Bad for all parties involved, I'll be shocked if that place stays in business for long.

McDonalds is trying to replace employees with touchscreens in the same way that Jack in the Box tested them out 16 years ago..

Meanwhile, there are lines at Coke Freestyle machines, McDonalds finally decided to replace their perpetually broken ice-cream machines, and grocery stores are gradually doing away with self-checkouts because people use them to steal produce.

The problem is on the human end, not the technology end.

>highly advanced ai technology

99% of the work has already been done by other groups. It's not like each robot needs to be programmed by hand, the same software suite will function across every robot.

>1. the maintenance alone will be more expensive than minimum wage for the next 200 years

Automation has already proven to be effective at reducing costs across thousands of other jobs, what makes you think a robot moving food around is going to magically cost a prohibitively large amount to maintain?

>grocery stores are gradually doing away with self-checkouts
Not true in the slightest. The money they save by replacing workers VASTLY outweights the increased shrink. You wouldn't seen them at every Kroger, Safeway, and Wal-Mart if they were truly losing money because of it.

Albertsons and Ralphs has been getting rid of them.

>tfw i have the same "job" as he does
>tfw my bio just says "i fuck sluts"
>mfw i make enough cash to not to be a waiter

>99% of the work has already been done
Not on restaurant robots, dipshit. I'm not saying that's never gonna be the case, but it's going to be a long time before there's widespread adoption, and I don't think there's ever going to be widespread adoption in the middle-to-high end places (extreme high end might pick up robots in some applications for precision reasons, but only the modernists will really embrace them and probably in a limited way)

Restaurant service is already shot through with so many weird and backwards traditions that robots would probably go over very poorly. Also, any robotic system that's got enough dexterity and motor control to behave flexibly enough to fulfill a service role is going to require motor vehicle levels of maintenance, and then some.

Also, service requires a certain level of flexibility and nuance not present in other jobs, and there's not enough money in restaurants to make it worthwhile to develop the hardware or software for dedicated server robots.

Like being forced by law to tip 10%?

Nah dude I'll take the two tiny electromagnetic motors that run a conveyor belt which brings food to me and touchscreen tech that poor gas stations like Sheetz were using 20 years ago.

>tfw actually waiter/bartender
>manage to do it without being a pretentious shitbag about my hobbies

Yeah, I get that for a lot of people this job just keeps the lights on, but having to work with egotistical douches is arguably worse than the bad customers.

it would be a prohibitively large cost because you can just do it with a fucking ipad at the table. The robot just needs to show up when you call it or when you get your food, none of this stupid eye contact bullshit. The fucking robot is going to come over every time you accidentally look at it, and that's a pain in the ass.

It's absolutely true though. It was hurting the bottom line due to how much it costs to maintain them

>forced by law to tip anything, anywhere
If you wanna just pull stuff out of your ass, /pol/ is for you. If Applebee's is your idea of a nice night out, then have fun with your conveyor belts, kiddo.

One fat pissy female manager and 4 unbreakable simple operating systems to watch?

I understand losing money over the banana tricks you guys play but managing 4 computers, 4 scales and paying one bitchy manager to stand around costs a LOT less than paying 4 employees 50k a year.

This bitch had her nudes leaked during the fappening.

>People

So this is some celebrity? Literally fucking who?

Everyone in entertainment is an egotistical douche, myself included, but the thing to remember is that the people who are really shit at their jobs are often worse than the people who aren't. It's like how smaller dogs bark louder. I like to make fun of them. Also, don't bartenders usually make plenty of money?

Depends on the bar, but I do pretty well for myself, yeah. The whole "hipster bartender" scene never really agreed with me, but I try to be super ambitious technique-wise so I get stuck at the hipster bars with the douchebags who think they're gonna be the next big rapper or whatever. the benefit of working at the higher end is that those assholes usually don't last long, they just get sucked back down to whatever mid-level or applebee's-tier resturaunt they were working at before where they could be lazy and focus on their "art"

Because if you don't hand them dollar bills constantly you get 75% soda, 20% ice and 5% alcohol in your beverages.

Ok? The reality is that that's not the case for many stores though.

>douchebags that think they're going to be the next big rapper

You live in america right? This is about 50% of all males age 13-20.
I find new ones every three or four days.

>two literally who groceries are replacing them

Literally no bartender i've ever worked with has done this. If they're a shitbag bartender, they won't care because it's not their booze they're giving away, and if they're a professional they're going to follow the spec basically 100% of the time. If you don't tip or tip shitty we're not gonna do you any favors, but anybody with a brain between their eyes isn't going to reduce the amount of booze you get because you don't tip.

>unbreakable

The funniest thing is that I live in one of the few civilized outposts of flyover country, and yet these kids are still trying to be fucking rappers and screenwriters and shit. If you have enough confidence in your work to push yourself, then move to the coast, don't email screenplays from the dead center of the fucking continent

>50k a year
They wish

>cashiers get 50k a year
convertunits.com/salary/50000
Where the fuck do you live that cashiers make 25$/hr?

my cashiers work for 12 hours a day 7 days a year with one day off for christmas. If they get sick we just send them to the pitt and hire someone else.

Probably Australia, their minimum wage is retardedly high but then again so is the price of their McDonalds apparently.

I can't think straight when I'm this sober, my bad friend.

>implying the australian dollarydoo and the american dollar are the same currency

From my experience, the directors who call directing 'art' are the shitty ones.

Agreed. Most of those guys are just directing pretentious bullshit to get laid anyways

>le robot waiters meme

no one wants robot waiters in any restaurants apart from the one gimmick one you go to once.

people want to be around other people. why the fuck do you shut-ins have a boner for the idea of restricting your already limited social contact even further.

>because people use them to steal produce
How?

Why even have a robot? Have a tablet at the table, and use an overhead crane to bring food, drinks, refills, napkins, whatever. The tablet can also have a "summon a real human" button for situations that can't be handled by the machinery.

Speak for yourself. I don't want someone asking me how my meal is or if I need anything. I just want to eat my food in peace/enjoy present company.

>in peace

how the fuck does a human bringing you your food disturb your peace?

i'm not saying that you absolutely need waiters. but simply replacing them with robots is fucking retarded because you're still interacting with something that brings you your food, only there is no social pleasure to the interaction.

>how the fuck does a human bringing you your food disturb your peace?

That doesn't disturb my peace.

OTOH, when I've got my mouth full of food and some twat walks by and asks how I'm doing that's very annoying. It's also annoying when you get peppered with that same question every 2 minutes.

I have no problem with social interaction, and I don't want robot waiters, but I can certainly see how an incompetent waiter can indeed be annoying.

What I described above isn't a problem with waiters in general, it's a problem with shitty waiters who don't bother to observe the customer to make sure they aren't in the middle of chewing when they ask a question, and likewise they don't bother the customer too frequently. A good waiter observes and reacts accordingly. A shitty waiter pays zero attention to what the customer is doing and interrupts them.

i generally expect to be asked how my food is once in any given meal, i don't know if i've ever been asked more than twice.

anyway there's obviously just as much risk (probably more in the early stages) of being annoyed by robot waiters or tablet ordering systems

>Muh tips

>replacing them with robots is fucking retarded

How?

Reading an item off a menu is hardly "social contact", and it's all the interaction I want with a waiter. Much more than that is intrusive.

Of course that's one reason I don't eat out much.

1) there's no need for it.

2) Can't you imagine how awful it would be if you needed to make a request and had a computer try and answer it? Surely you've experienced this problem with internet searches? You ask for a given term but get all sorts of unrelated bullshit?

Also, a classic question to ask a waiter is: what's good here? Or what do you recommend? A competent waiter knows the restaurant, so he'll steer you away from menu items that honestly aren't very good, or tell you to avoid certain things when he knows the ingredients aren't fresh, etc. You can bet your ballsack you won't get that kind of honesty from a robot. It will be programmed for maximum profit.

you don't want recommendations for what's freshest that day? You don't want to hear about off-menu specials that you might want? You don't want to find out which wine is best paired with what dish?

No, those are not things I would ever ask a waiter.

you can't just call things intrusive. by objective standards, there are many more interactions that you might expect to have with a waiter which are not intrusive. where are you coming from with this?

I'm already at the restaurant with friends and family, people I actually like.
If the waiter's not bringing food or the bill he can fuck off and socialize on his own time.

it reads like a woman's

lines of nonsense or song lyrics they think make them looks deep

the waiter is mediating between you and the back of house, helping to explain the menu and interpret your order and various other things, all of this is made a lot smoother with a social-level interaction. if you want restaurants to be managed with checklists you probably haven't had a single good restaurant experience in your life.

I call them that because I find them intrusive. I don't want someone to ask me if I'm enjoying my meal, or talk to me about my day, or whatever else. I want them to take my order, come back with what I asked for, remove used dishes, and take my money.

Dealing with strangers is not fun, it's a chore. Don't make me pay to do more of it.

is was picturing it as 50k / 4
so 12.5k per cashier

>Dealing with strangers is not fun, it's a chore

Serious question: What went wrong in your childhood?

>explain the menu and interpret your order
What? Why does the menu need explanation? They normally have short descriptions, assuming I don't already know what the dish is. And "I'll have X with Y" does not require interpretation.

I'm introverted, not traumatised. What the fuck is fun about it?

The waiter is the one who keeps ruining the experience by coming around and asking for my life story while my mouth is full and I'm trying not to choke over a joke a friend is in the middle of telling.
Fuck him and fuck you.

>Why does the menu need explanation?
Often times the menu leaves out important information.

Last week I was at a restaurant for business and saw a nice looking lamb dish. But it made no mention of where the lamb came from. I needed to ask the waiter to find out, because if it was USA lamb I didn't want to order it, but if it was from NZ then I did.

Likewise if there was a fish dish on the menu you might want to know if it was fresh or frozen.

Of course if you have any medical concerns then you would need to be able to find out if any of the dishes contained something you couldn't eat.

>What the fuck is fun about it?

I never said it was fun. I'm introverted myself. But something is wrong if it becomes "a chore".

>I call them that because I find them intrusive. I don't want someone to ask me if I'm enjoying my meal, or talk to me about my day, or whatever else

that isn't what i was talking about, but fine. i think if you have any level of social competence you can simply swat those questions away if they do indeed come, it only becomes *intrusive* when they actually press for information. those questions are really about reading what kind of customer you're going to be. talkative, terse, sober, drunk, aggressive, etc. it's information that helps them do their job and you should offer them the courtesy of exchanging it.

>What? Why does the menu need explanation? They normally have short descriptions, assuming I don't already know what the dish is. And "I'll have X with Y" does not require interpretation.

if you are not italian or speak culinary italian, a menu like pic related may need explanation. you may want to know about pricing structure, order of service, drinks pairings, origin of ingredients, etc. a flexible and well-informed waiter is invaluable to a restaurant because customers have specific needs.

>oming around and asking for my life story while my mouth is full and I'm trying not to choke over a joke a friend is in the middle of telling.

this simply does not happen anywhere near enough to warrant replacing waiters with fucking robots, who are going to be ten times shittier than a person at any of the tasks i've described, fuck you. and why are we assuming they won't interrupt you? waitstaff that piss you off by asking too many questions are a problem for management, whether they're made of flesh or steel, they still need to be instructed and managed appropriately.

>this simply does not happen anywhere near enough to warrant replacing waiters with fucking robots
It happens every fucking time and they need to be replaced by robots ASAP.
>and why are we assuming they won't interrupt you?
I know full well they're going to interrupt me, that's why I hate them.
Fucking gang of good for nothing, overdressed beggars sucking cock for tips because they're too cowardly to form a union.

>Cooking burgers how could they nitpick that?
Have you seen the amount of shit posting on levels of doneness for burger/steak on ck?
>this is raw
No thats fucking medium rare exactly what you ordered but I'll cook it more for you
>this is too well done
REEEEEEEREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nice pic t b h

Introversion is typically defined as finding social interaction draining. If I'm being drained and not benefiting, that's a chore.

>it only becomes *intrusive* when they actually press for information.
Except I don't agree? I find it intrusive to be asked at all. I'm not about to freak out or be rude about it, but I find it irritating.

>customers have specific needs
I don't. I want to order a thing from the menu and have it cooked for me.

boomers

>Except I don't agree?

i know you don't agree, but you're wrong.

> I find it intrusive to be asked at all.

you are on someone else's premises, taking up their table, and expecting them to do work for you. all they're doing is trying to establish a good relationship so they know you're not going to be a bad investment.

>I don't. I want to order a thing from the menu and have it cooked for me.

you only say you don't because you're a selfish dickhead who won't participate. if you put the quantum of effort in to establishing a good relationship with the waiter you would feel an expanded liberty to ask for exactly what you want.

>Working at restaurant about 3 years ago
>Have a customer who complained that his ranch dressing was too runny
>He complained that his coffee was too cold after putting 9 creamers in it
>Complains service wasn't fast enough because lol the wait staff doesn't have to deal with like 5 more tables

I don't see how I can be wrong about what I find irritating. I don't want them to do work for me because we have a good relationship, I'm there to exchange money for service. The service is cooking, no small talk. Asking for extra weird shit that's not on the menu does not appeal to me at all.

My ideal of restaurant service is not the same as yours. Does this confuse you somehow?

you said intrusive, not irritating. it's not intrusive. an extended hand offered to be shaken is not intrusive.

your ideal of restaurant service is based on a misinterpretation of what actual restaurant service is like. the waiter doesn't want to have a conversation with you either. they simply want you to be a co-operative customer.

i'm not saying you have to be chatty. a good waiter will identify and be sensitive to your need to be left alone. but it's clear you have an actively surly attitude to strangers who are just trying to provide you a service, and that irks me.

>Asking for extra weird shit that's not on the menu does not appeal to me at all.

i didn't even mention that you turbosperg. off-menu items aren't really even a thing where i live. there's still plenty of reasons to talk to a waiter about what you're getting into.

>the waiter doesn't want to have a conversation with you either.

Really? Because the asshole won't shut the fuck up and leave me and my dining companions alone.
He is being intrusive and sucking cock for tips instead of doing his damned job.

>but it's clear you have an actively surly attitude to strangers
Strangers are polite enough not to actively interrupt me while I'm dining. Strangers I have no problem with.
Williard "call me Will" Tabernacle the dropout English major and aspiring playwright begging for spare change is obnoxiously overstepping his bounds and needs to fuck off.

Not the user your sperging with, but why don't you establish your boundaries at the time of ordering? Be upfront and tell her, "I'll signal you when I need something. Please do not interrupt me while I'm eating. Thanks." Pretty simple, really.

>you have an actively surly attitude to strangers
Not at all. I don't begrudge them doing their job in a way I happen to dislike. I'm willing to cooperate. I'm just telling you: I don't like it and I'd be happy for robots to remove this part of the restaurant experience.

My point is not that that waiters are horrible people that ruin everything (usually). Just that I don't find they add anything beyond moving plates around.

>there's still plenty of reasons to talk to a waiter
You've yet to give one I have any interest in.

Because preemptively telling someone "don't be rude" is itself rude.

>You've yet to give one I have any interest in.

you can say that all you want, but all that expresses is that you're voluntarily limiting yourself because you don't want to talk with a stranger. it's not an indictment on waiters, it would only be solved with an excessively informative legend on the menu or some shit.

>preemptively telling someone "don't be rude" is itself rude.

Now I know you're a troll. Thanks for the info.

Limiting myself how? By no asking for super special secret dishes we've already established don't exist? By not asking for information I have no interest in?

>By no asking for super special secret dishes we've already established don't exist?

i have never mentioned any super special secret dishes

>By not asking for information I have no interest in?

you don't know how much interest you have in it til you get there and see the menu. i highly doubt you have no interest in how to make sense of an unorthodox menu structure with unfamiliar ingredients or dishes, whether those dishes contain allergens or other undesirables, etc. you don't lack interest, you lack balls.

>i have never mentioned any super special secret dishes
You mentioned "off-menu specials". I don't see how I'm limiting my options unless there are options that I can't see on the menu.

I don't think I've ever seen a menu that isn't readily comprehensible. It could be in a language I don't speak, but if the cuisine is that unfamiliar it hardly matters what I order. I have no allergies, and am not fussy about "undesirables".

Restaurant menus are not confusing.

>You mentioned "off-menu specials"

no, you did.

>I don't think I've ever seen a menu that isn't readily comprehensible.

menus are frequently organised in ways that don't prescribe the amount or order of dishes you order. they sometimes use proprietary language to describe components of dishes you may have to ask about. i think at this point i have listed enough potential areas of inquiry to demonstrate that verbal interaction is frequently necessary in restaurants.

>It could be in a language I don't speak, but if the cuisine is that unfamiliar it hardly matters what I order.

well that's the retarded logic of someone who is trying to justify their antisocial attitude. if you have to find out that something is a cut of veal and that something else is a puree made with parsley root, that doesn't mean it hardly matters which of the two you order.

>off-menu
First mention was which certainly wasn't me, and it looks like your writing.

I can't think of any menu I've seen that doesn't make it clear what are main dishes, appetisers, etc. If they don't that sounds like a horrible failure of menu design. Nor have I seen any proprietary language beyond "give the dish a cute name (then describe it)". I have no idea what kind of bizarre restaurants you're talking about, but they're nothing like any I've ever been to.

Nor would I have much interest in somewhere if I had literally no idea what food they served. Doing basic research beforehand seems like a better way to avoid a shitty experience than having someone translate an entire menu.

it's not my writing. even if it was, you're ignoring the wide variety of other things i suggested.

>I can't think of any menu I've seen that doesn't make it clear what are main dishes, appetisers, etc. If they don't that sounds like a horrible failure of menu design.

well then i'm sorry buddy but you clearly have had very few experiences in restaurants. it is extremely common these days for menus to follow some kind of 'tapas-style' format or otherwise to break things down according to other categories. it's not that they don't make it clear what are 'main dishes and appetisers', it's that they don't *have* main dishes and appetisers.

these aren't bizarre restaurants. i suppose this is a culture clash,

>Doing basic research beforehand seems like a better way to avoid a shitty experience than having someone translate an entire menu.

what about at restaurants that don't have set menus? that change their menu on a daily or even service basis?

what lengths are you prepared to go to in order to avoid talking to someone? christ dude.

If you don't cook your burgers well done you're going to kill someone before long.