I want to learn russian. would reading a dostoevsky novel in the original language be a good way of doing this...

i want to learn russian. would reading a dostoevsky novel in the original language be a good way of doing this? it's not really like the germanic/romantic languages that a lot of english speakers are able to learn because they are already similar to english.. is it doable? has anyone here learned russian?

Other urls found in this thread:

duolingo.com/course/ru/en/Learn-Russian-Online
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Sounds easy to me senpai, just read and let that Russian syntax sink in. You should be perfectly fluent after your third Dosto.

Of course not, you need the basics first. Once you have passable literacy levels you might do okay, but you're guaranteed to need a dictionary.

i am doing all the free babble courses on the language, it seems like a lot of words are fairly similar, you'd just need a cypher until you memorize the alphabet because it throws you off easily.

for instance, И sounds like I, B sounds like WV, H sounds like N, ы sounds like y, Д sounds like D, etc..

but the words they form, at least the smaller ones i've heard, are very similar to their english counterpart.

i only ask because i have heard of people learning simply by reading. obviously cultural immersion is the best way, but russia is far away

Maybe it'll work for you, who knows. I'd arm myself with a russki-English dictionary first, and maybe start with a couple easier reads, but go for it if you really feel it'll work out.

I should mention - I did try to pick up a language through reading, but realized I'd always be stuck at a simplistic level. Took a few semesters worth of lessons, now back at bat. It's working out a lot better this time.

ah. i'm not in college. i'll see if i can find a simpler russian to start with. i may also see if i can get actual russian lessons, though it may be hard to do since it's not such a common language to learn in the states

If you live in a city you should be able to find a tutor easily

i don't, it's a military town, there is a college here but it is small. most people just move here to get a job on base and there isn't much here if you don't want to work for the government. either way, i'll probably postpone learning russian because i should probably learn greek first, it's more important to me because of theological and philosophical texts.

the reason i want to learn russian is because one day i want to visit and/or move to russia, something about it draws me, plus russian girls are 10/10

I've never thought about a tutor for a language, before, what are the average prices? It hardly seems economical vs going to school.

Implying it's so easy to just pick up a language like it's nothing. I'm a third year Russian major and all I fucking do all week is Russian, I still barely feel like I have any grasp on the language. I don't mean to discourage you because before I started I really romanticized the idea of learning russian but the further I go the more I feel like I get disillusioned with it.

Just fair warning Russian is hard as shit

>Born to Russian parents
>Can speak fluently
>Tried to learn as a kid but dropped it for Spanish
>Mfw Russian speaker who has to read the Russians in English translations

duolingo.com/course/ru/en/Learn-Russian-Online

You need to have the grammar basics, to really understand what you're reading.
For exmple the different aspects of a verb (you're gonna have lots of fun with those) can give the whole sentence a different connotation, a different meaning even.
Like said, that is a real challenge, even with a tutor.

Aй финк ит вил би хapд тy лepн paшн бaй pидин Дocтoeвcки.
Cтapт виз Пyшкин, OП.

Duolingo is the worst way to learn a language I've ever seen.
I agree with this degenerate. Don't start with Dostoyevsky, OP.

Tы кoгo дeгeнepaтoм нaзвaл, cынoк?

Is duolingo good for basics or is it also for more advanced learning?

тeбя, дoлбoёб. зaчeм ты пишeшь этy кopявyю хyйню нa бopдe, гдe тeбя пoймyт oт cилы 2.5 чeлoвeкa? кaтиcь нa /int/, a лyчшe cpaзy нa двaч.

it would probably be pretty painful at first but its a solid method for studying. I'd rec starting of with maybe some short stories if I were you.
reading a thousan page novels is pretty boring if you can only read 10 pages an hour.

While I can see the appeal, it seems like it would take a while to learn the language well enough to really appreciate the subtle details of the books you're trying to read.