Is your city lit?

Is your city lit?

Mine:
City: DC

Veeky Forums status: I meet some remarkably well read and intelligent people and a lot of uninteresting poly sci jocks who became lawyers. Mostly latter. Dated a qt Veeky Forums South American gf at one point. Been to a book club where I had to defend Joyce's Araby. Not NY, no thriving literary or art scene that I know of. (Unless I am looking at wrong places)

That's a nice cover that's all i wanna say.

hialeah

no

Most of the people I meet in DC either read stuff in their long-entrenched area of interest (like people who were religious studies majors continuing down that path), or namedrop a lot of stuff but don't actually read anything. Met someone recently who literally called herself a "creative type" and spent almost an hour trying to convince me that she's a sculptor, painter, novelist, playwright, etc.

Also I've noticed a weird near-fetishization of non-western culture/history; nobody cares about classic western texts (fiction or otherwise) but I've seen people at least appear super hyped about stuff from the Middle East.

DC meetup when?

>tfw loitering in the Politics & Prose coffeehouse, working on my pomo satire of post-industrial biosincerity and audibly sneering whenever I catch a middle-aged white woman reading Zadie Smith

Is politics & prose any good? I hear it mentioned from time to time, but it seems like it could easily be a hotspot for pseuds.

City: Paris
Veeky Forums status: of course

I was also initially impressed with the OP's image choice.

Yes, my city (Minneapolis/St. Paul) is lit as fuck. Like DC and Seattle, the city/metro regularly features in surveys/studies of the most literate/litearary urban areas in the country, based upon basic measurable such as bookstores per capita, libraries per capita, newspapers per capita and so on, plus squisher things.

I like to write about this topic so here I go again. I've said much of this in an earlier post a week or two ago.

I have a very good bead on where things lit are in the twin cities area. I can think of over fifty different locations of whatever type that I've been in/looked around, and so I'll give a very general sketch of these:

the universities of the area each has a library, which are feasible (if understandably restrictive) to borrow from, or of course at the very least visit.

the local municipalities also have a very robust library system, with about as many (a dozen+) locations, depending on how wide you want to cast your net.

Besides these, there are of course a few dozen B&N locations around the place (which actually turns out to be large percentage of the whole brand's brick-and-mortar now that I check), each more identical than the last. Still, I think it's worth mentioning that a big one is supposed to have been an early, important location outside the New York area, for what it's worth.

But now we come to the interesting stuff: the local bookstores, which often specialize in this-or-that. I have personally visited and (sometimes) made purchases at:

fine bookstores (2+)
occult bookstores (3)
a hardcore leftist-communist non-profit bookstore (1)
a wholly dedicated sci-fi/mystery bookstore, among the oldest sci-fi-"only" bookstores in the country (they have a newsletter, but honestly the store is quite ratty) (1)
a mystery-only bookstore, cute but small (1)
a paperback reseller that specializes in romance and other pulp that generally doesn't personally interest me, but I'm happy to know that it exists (1)
at least a half dozen (6+) other shops with a decent general inventory. I was in one of these once for my second time ever, and these two old people were having soup and talking about the time they had a Wittgenstein reading group where they'd read one section of Philosophical Investigations per week. Part of me wanted to insinuate myself into the conversation/get in on that, but I left it alone.

The more time I spend here, the more I realize that "the twin cities is Veeky Forums" is a legitimate statement.

>Current year
>Compensating losers still think that if you're athletic you're a dumb uninteresting "jock" by default

How along was this quote made, fucking retard? Paris nowadays is a lingering smelly shithole. If you think Paris is "literay" you're probably the type of person that smoking is "literally" too, whatever the fuck that means.

Where do I follow your blog bro?

>who literally called herself a "creative type"
How do you specifically let others know about your hobby of reading or whatever? There's no way to say it without sounding pretentious.

>How do you specifically let others know about your hobby of reading or whatever? There's no way to say it without sounding pretentious.

I say I like to read, or someone else presumes as much because they see me reading.

This girl literally said the words "I am a creative type."

>literally reading in public

It's okay, I suppose. Beats Barnes & Noble. If you are an NPR-donor and card-carrying member of the Democratic party, it's probably paradise. I would very much like to have seen its patrons' faces on Wednesday morning

Subtle

Fair enough, pretty much what I expected.

DC has been ripe for eavesdropping all week; I heard someone today say that he just had "literally the worst week of his career and possibly his life, no joke" and found out he worked on the Hillary campaign.

really makes you think..

>Vienna
no

DC native, born and raised.

When will this "DC is totally Veeky Forums" meme die? DC is anything but Veeky Forums-- far from it, in fact. It's just a bunch of implants who move into the city, thinking that they're actually contributing. If anything, DC was way more Veeky Forums back in the '90s, before gentrification took the city by the balls. Now, there is just an artificial "I'm so artsy and unique" vibe going around the city. Fucking hipsters need to fuck off out of my city.

reeee, etc.

What did he mean by this?

>Gentrification is bad
When are progressives going to move past their failed ideology and recognize gentrification is the best thing that could ever happen to a city? I wish I could gentrify every moron who pretends to enjoy living around violent crime, poverty, and crack epidemics

Oh yea it's been great for eavesdropping. People are shocked. I've seen many women cry.

I sometime get to listen to juicy political gossip too.

>tfw no Veeky Forums qt hill staffer gf.

Meetup where? Potter's House?

>How along was this quote made, fucking retard? Paris nowadays is a lingering smelly shithole. If you think Paris is "literay" you're probably the type of person that smoking is "literally" too, whatever the fuck that means.

user, I was just posting a quote, I know nothing of Paris.