What books about writing would you suggest reading? Besides The Elements of Style and On Writing by King

What books about writing would you suggest reading? Besides The Elements of Style and On Writing by King.

Other urls found in this thread:

openculture.com/2014/03/stephen-kings-top-20-rules-for-writers.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I wouldn't recommend Elements because it's outdated and I wouldn't recommend On Writing because it doesn't actually give you any useful information on writing.

Also related, how does Veeky Forums feel about the oxford comma? I haven't seen much discussion about it here.

>On Writing
I respectfully disagree. It's a great source of motivation for people who are getting serious. Of course, all those books boil down to "write more, show more people, be professional," but King states it well and succinctly.

It's just a style issue, use it or don't, just decide in advance and be consistant.

But it adds clarity. I get some people have contempt for grammar, but the oxford comma is indispensable when there are three or more something in a list.

>writing can be taught

I really think about this a lot. Considering all the MFA English fucks out there who write bland, if accurate literature, vs. real authors with something to say. Reading and life experiences seems to trump "education" every goddamn time.

You can look at motivational posters of pictures of mountains if you want motivation, it doesn't matter what it's for. If you want books about writing, suggesting one because it's "motivation" is daft; it's not a book about writing, it's a motivational book.

>writing can be self taught
that i can get behind

Yeah, of course you should just use the stupid thing.

It really doesn't add any more clarity than re-writing your sentence would. It's little more than a band aid to bad composition.

I see your point, but it is a book of writing-specific motivation. Like some motivational posters are about leadership, or getting a more aesthetic body, or earning more money or whatever. King's book is sort of of like a poster in that regard, but a well crafted and useful one.

Granted, but it reads more like an amusing light memoir. If someone asks for books about writing then they're probably already motivated and want to learn to improve technically and stylistically in which case it's not helpful.

Agreed. The useful parts distill down to these (debatable) points.

openculture.com/2014/03/stephen-kings-top-20-rules-for-writers.html

It's a silly book that gives advice so vague it's virtually inapplicable.

Focuses on suspense (Cleland's stories are old-fashioned mysteries like Murder She Wrote), but also touches on thrillers.

I found this book to be very useful. Of course when it comes to rules there are always exceptions, but this book gives you funny examples on why those guidelines shouldn't be broken lightly.

I love this book. I think it contributes to me not being able to write anything, but it's still funny to read.

This looks useful. Is there a torrent or summary online?

Summaries at Amazon, torrents at the same place you would normally get book torrents.

Or you could just pay $15.95 like everyone else.

I found no torrents through my usual sources, sadly.
>paying for books
>living in the Internet age
>man I'm conflicted.

y not go to liberry?

I just buy books because I hate reading on a screen, but honestly you need to get better sources.

I suppose I could.
Actually, I just found a used copy for 1.99 USD. Having it mailed to my spacious 3-bedroom apartment post haste.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Suggested for short stories:
>"Notes on Writing Weird Fiction" by H. P. Lovecraft

For constructing a solid basic novel and avoiding shitty pitfalls:
>"How Not to write a novel" by Mittelmark & Newman
>"How to write a damn good novel" by James N. Frey
>"How to write a damn good novel II" by James N. Frey
>"Self-editing for fiction writers" by Browne & King

For writing poetry:
>"The ode less travelled" by Stephen Fry

"Motivational" whatever:
>"Zen in the art of writing" by Raymond Bradbury
>"On writing" by Stephen King

Academic procrastination:
>"The hero with 1000 faces" by Joseph Campbell
>"The golden bough" by George Frazer
>"The morphology of the folktale" by Vladimir Propp
>"The art of fiction" by J. Gardner
>"The book of legendary lands" by Umberto Eco

Autismal worldbuilding procrastination:
>"The language construction kit" by M. Rosenfelder
>"The planet construction kit" by M. Rosenfelder

Actively avoid:
>"The writer's journey" by C. Vogler
>"How to books" anything with a logo that looks like pic related.

For anything of genuine worth:
>Be a naturally good writer, work hard at it and read widely.

Depends on the sentence, context, and emotional sentiment that you want to relay.

>Elements
No, it isn't; it's a useful set of guidelines and rules of thumb that's mostly in line with style guides now in use and it's also well-presented and concise.
As long as you use it as a handbook instead of as a court of last resort, it's worth reading.

>mostly
The bits where it isn't are the bits where it's outdated. Perhaps I could interest you in a book on reading comprehension or logic?

did you read the rest of my post? the fact that parts of it aren't in line with style guides no win use doesn't make it outdated, because that isn't the point! it's a handbook, not the Chicago Manual