Veeky Forums BTFO

How does it feel knowing that her comments on what constitutes middlebrow fits all of you perfectly?

Other urls found in this thread:

modernism.research.yale.edu/wiki/index.php/Woolf's_Reading_of_Joyce's_Ulysses,_1918-1920
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>implying i could read anything she said or wrote without having fallen asleep by the end

It doesn't though. I formed my own taste, mostly through searching combinations of tags of genres, nationalities and formats I thought might be interesting to me.

She got BTFO by my nigga Joyce and she didnt have enough "brow" to even realize it
She sounds like low selfsteem mess (which she was) trying to feel better about herself looking down on people because of what they read
At least her face had a pleasing aesthetic

She got BTFO by my nigga Joyce and she didnt have enough "brow" to even realize it
“He said nothing--but I reflected how what I’m doing is probably being better done by Mr. Joyce”
She did realize

i wonder how she fucked

When did this happen?

Link the conversation/exchange/etc

modernism.research.yale.edu/wiki/index.php/Woolf's_Reading_of_Joyce's_Ulysses,_1918-1920
first line should be meme-arrowed

>complains that middlebrow readers only like what they are told to like while highbrow readers choose what they like
>her favourite writers are Shakespeare, Eliot, Tolstoy, Proust, all highly acclaimed writers that everybody likes
she was just a bipolar idiot

>"He said nothing
She didnt realize

pretty sure the "he" refers to Eliot there

>I . . . have been amused, stimulated, charmed interested by the first 2 or 3 chapters--to the end of the Cemetery scene; & then puzzled, bored, irritated, & disillusioned as by a queasy undergraduate scratching his pimples.

you know you can also like popular stuff of your own choice.. like you ever think maybe you just genuinely enjoy approved stuff on your own merit? what are you some pseud that thinks obscurity=more independent?

what are these comments? post them.

She is my Veeky Forumsfu

>tfw you will never cuddle with a young Virginia Woolf while she insults your taste in books

>I like popular stuff but everyone else is pretending!
no, she was a bipolar idiot

>How does it feel knowing that her comments on what constitutes middlebrow fits all of you perfectly?
I feel inwardly ashamed but outwardly smug because I can now accuse anyone who disagrees with me of being middle-brow. Your going to be seeing a lot of "middle-brow" related shitposting in the future lads

literary critics and acclaimed authors stating those works to be the best are the reason they are popular, dumbass.
She didn't like them because they were popular, they're popular because she (and others like her) liked them.

They were popular before her grubby middlebrow hands ever got near them

What part of "She was a bipolar idiot" are you not understanding? The woman's brain was faulty

I hate this board, like anytime anyone brings up a woman writer it's immediately: would you fuck her? Boring.

>middlebrow
What did she mean by this?

virginia is MEAN

Your doing that wrong. Actually look up what she was referring to. On highbrow:

>Since the Battle of the Brows troubles, I am told, the evening air, since the finest minds of our age have lately been engaged in debating, not without that passion which befits a noble cause, what a highbrow is and what a lowbrow, which is better and which is worse, may I take this opportunity to express my opinion and at the same time draw attention to certain aspects of the question which seem to me to have been unfortunately overlooked?

Now there can be no two opinions as to what a highbrow is. He is the man or woman of thoroughbred intelligence who rides his mind at a gallop across country in pursuit of an idea. That is why I have always been so proud to be called highbrow. That is why, if I could be more of a highbrow I would. I honour and respect highbrows. Some of my relations have been highbrows; and some, but by no means all, of my friends. To be a highbrow, a complete and representative highbrow, a highbrow like Shakespeare, Dickens, Byron, Shelley, Keats, Charlotte Bronte, Scott, Jane Austen, Flaubert, Hardy or Henry James — to name a few highbrows from the same profession chosen at random — is of course beyond the wildest dreams of my imagination. And, though I would cheerfully lay myself down in the dust and kiss the print of their feet, no person of sense will deny that this passionate preoccupation of theirs — riding across country in pursuit of ideas — often leads to disaster… Highbrows, for some reason or another, are wholly incapable of dealing successfully with what is called real life. That is why, and here I come to a point that is often surprisingly ignored, they honour so wholeheartedly and depend so completely upon those who are called lowbrows. By a lowbrow is meant of course a man or a woman of thoroughbred vitality who rides his body in pursuit of a living at a gallop across life. That is why I honour and respect lowbrows — and I have never known a highbrow who did not. In so far as I am a highbrow (and my imperfections in that line are well known to me) I love lowbrows; I study them; I always sit next the conductor in an omnibus and try to get him to tell me what it is like — being a conductor. In whatever company I am I always try to know what it is like — being a conductor, being a woman with ten children and thirty-five shillings a week, being a stockbroker, being an admiral, being a bank clerk, being a dressmaker, being a duchess, being a miner, being a cook, being a prostitute. All that lowbrows do is of surpassing interest and wonder to me, because, in so far as I am a highbrow, I cannot do things myself."

And on "lowbrows" she writes:

>They are neither one thing nor the other. They are not highbrows, whose brows are high; nor lowbrows, whose brows are low. Their brows are betwixt and between. They do not live in Bloomsbury which is on high ground; nor in Chelsea, which is on low ground. Since they must live somewhere presumably, they live perhaps in South Kensington, which is betwixt and between. The middlebrow is the man, or woman, of middlebred intelligence who ambles and saunters now on this side of the hedge, now on that, in pursuit of no single object, neither art itself nor life itself, but both mixed indistinguishably, and rather nastily, with money, fame, power, or prestige.

Le enlightened freethinking gentleman.

>At least her face had a pleasing aesthetic

only from that angle

Why are you projecting to such a heavy degree? There's no "everyone else" here. It's true there are those that cannot "like" anything prior to good criticism, but there's also those that like stuff regardless. And generally, famous and acclaimed things are famous and acclaimed for a reason.

Allow me to surmount Woolf's point;

>I like being upper-class and having lots of money but I also like fetishising what it must be like to be poor but I hate people in the middle because that's actually who I am, oh I forgot to mention I'm insecure

JUST

Its something

Sorry, I just wanted someone to spoonfed me...

That broad didn't even finish reading Ulysses

faggot

>At least her face had a pleasing aesthetic
Excuse me, nigga?

Yup, that's me.

It wouldn't be possible for me to be a faggot.

fuck off roastie

shit, this describes me rather well

What is it with Brits and their classist society? Why was she so mean.

Thats really disgusting

This reads like satire, and I'd bet it is.

I just think it's boring. Who cares that you would/or wouldn't hypothetically bang Plath, Lispector, Woolf, whatever. It adds nothing. I don't care if it's in like a lit waifu thread or whatever that's fine.

show tits

I like Virginia's writing quite a bit but when I read things like this I LOVE that a bawdy and low down drunk of an Irishman absolutely aced her at her own game and so completely infuriated her that she went into full denial mode and lied to herself about the quality of his writing.

Serves the snarky tart right. Guess the "lower water" types always have the last laugh, eh?

Tits or gtfo
also never reveal your powerlevel roastie

When I was at Cambridge, I dated this girl who was in love with her works and we always used to walk those old trails that Woolf walked a long time ago.

I would always annoy her by naming Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf as her greatest masterpiece, and purposely confusing her for Emily Dickinson.

Sorry for the irrelevant blogpost. I just wanted to tell somebody, because that was the last time I was happy.

How old are you now and do you have a job since leaving Cambridge?

That is a nice memory, sounds like you have a good sense of humor senpai.

What was Woolf doing walking around Cambridge?

I'm 24, and I don't have a real job, I'm back in the States at Law School now.

She had ties to Cambridge through her brothers and other friends. Plus she lived there shortly while she was younger. I might be wrong, I used to know pretty much everything about her back in the day. I'll try and see if I can find my old pictures of those trails, they were very pretty, just like everything over there.

Where do you go, senpai?

is law school Veeky Forums?

I'm not him, but I also go to law school, and it's as Veeky Forums as you make it after the first year. You can typically take classes outside of law school for credit, and there are typically a decent amount of Veeky Forums courses within the law school itself.

I'm at Virginia. It's nice, but I miss my friends at Cambridge who are a world away, and I miss my friends back home who seem to have gotten up and around real quick and passed me by.

She's old here and the lighting is fucked and the photo is airbrushed

Cuck.

What did she say?

Were we really boiled to fucking oil by her?

She is so sharp and ghastly. Like wet paper draped and dried against outcroppings of rock, so it's come to cling back along the hollow pockets the stone beetles over.

>Why the long face?

Holy FUCK this is real

I thought this was a brilliant satire and I just googled it

Jesus Christ jeez i'm laughing