Does Veeky Forums brew its own alcohol?

Does Veeky Forums brew its own alcohol?

I just bottled some homemade white wine and have some mead and cider fermenting.

Just ordered some yeast from the internet. I'm gonna make some shitty swill to get plastered with on the cheap. I'm talking fermenting Welch's in the bottle it came in.

There was a time when you couldn't even walk in my boiler room for all the jugs fermenting, but it's been a good while since I've made so much as a simple cider. Need to get back in the game.

I'm glad you posted this, OP.

I need to know THE cheapest/easiest way to make my owl alcohol. I really don't care about taste.

Wine is by far the easiest and cheapest alcohol to make and you can make it pretty boozy. Instead of glass carboys use those giant water jugs from Walmart for like $13 bucks, buy ingredients from cheap grocery stores, but don't skip out on the yeast, materials to clear your wine, get yourself a nice siphon for like $30, and a corker for like $20
The most expensive part of making wine from my experience was the fruit/grapes and getting wine bottles CAN be expensive. I ended up making 60 bottles of wine my first time around so I went to local restaurants and liquor stores to collect their empty bottles, then just cleaned them. And if you have friends who drink wine start collecting their bottles. I'm sure someone's gonna rip me apart for suggesting cheap shit, but honestly you can still make great wine while cutting corners.

Buy jugs of apple or grape juice, add turbo yeast, wait, drink. Does not get any cheaper or awful then that.

Also, I'm a professional distiller if anyone here participates in the totally legal act of home distillation of spirits and has any questions

Yes. I brew pretty frequently. It turns out pretty mediocre, but it's a bit cheaper than buying wine/mead/cider outright (if you don't consider the time investment and initial equipment costs).

Do you filter it?

Yeah I'm about to lay down 300 liters of sugar wash for distilling next month.

I'm trying to set up a simple still. I wound my copper condenser coil by filling it with salt first so it wouldn't crush, hoping to dissolve the salt out later but it hasn't been dissolving. I've been boiling it in water but I'm not sure if it's getting anywhere

Sheeit is this the jenkem thread?

>be me
>must pay heavy taxes on alcohol
>no sales taxes on juice, honey, or grains
>tfw able to legally brew my own booze while avoiding excise taxes

:^)

Assuming you bought soft copper tubing (like for HVAC applications) you don't need to fill it with anything. Too late now though.

How much yeast do you add?

Shit, cause I started coiling it and it was going fine but then I looked it up and got scared it would kink.

All that 100% juice I wasted using baking yeast. If you gonna do it buy special yeast, don't believe Veeky Forums. You need to either add sugar to the juice or ferment or only a day or two otherwise the yeast spend all the sugar and the fermented comes too dry.

Filter what? I filter the fluid from the mash before the stripping run, but I don't chill filter the final product.

Depends on the yeast, depends on the mash. Can you be more specific? Unless you're getting your yeast shipped to you by boys in white coats in 50lb boxes then the yeast you're buying probably has instructions on it.

Mash? I thought you were just fermenting juice in a bottle. Or do I not know what mash means? I don't know what most of the words you just used means but I think I know what mash means. I kind of thought you would need to filter the yeast out of the wine once it's ready.

I ferment my own kombucha, started my culture about a month ago and it's been growing stronger and stronger
Stuffs almost gotten too effervescent, worried it'll break a bottle. Made a really good one with some blueberries and ginger in my bottling fermention
Any other anons into this?

If I made my own alcohol I'd be dead withing a year.

I prefer the longer range plan of going to the store, spending too much, going home and drinking it, and the resulting morning of regret...

I have a still, made some brandy out of Carlo Rossi and out of some apfelwein homebrew

have some guava wine and blueberry wine going right now

I've done a batch, came out pretty good, let it go too long though
need to bottle it quicker when its ready

I brew beer.

As fucked up as this will sound...

I cut back my drinking substantially by always keeping more brewed than I could ever drink. Since it was right there, there was no urgency to go out and get it, and I didn't even get fucked up every day anymore. Weaned myself off from complete physical dependency despite always having booze at the house.

Oh you meant in reference to this?

>Buy jugs of apple or grape juice, add turbo yeast, wait, drink. Does not get any cheaper or awful then that.

That's pruno my dude. Prison wine. Easiest way to filter it is to wait for the cloudiness (yeast) to settle to the bottom and then just siphon out the liquid above it.

First of all you've got to club your own owls, don't bother buying your owl from a can (I've made this mistake before). find an experienced owl breeder, chances are the brew their own owl brew for some money on the side. It's especially popular in Denmark where owls are plentiful. Most Owl brewing guides will tell you to pluck your owls before adding them to the mash, I don't do this. The feathers add character and flavor to your owl brew and can be strained off later. A good brew can use anywhere from 4-6 whole owls, as a money saver I substitute 2 owls out of six with pigeon. A good owl brew should be left to ferment for 2-3 weeks and aged for at least six months preferably in a cool dry, birdy place like an Avery.

thank you

This isn't a distilling question but I'm a beginner and you probably know more than me. I'm fermenting some home pressed apple juice (We have a tree on our property and someone noted that my apples are particularly sweet, hence good for brewing). Anyway I've got six milk bottles (old glass ones) of fresh squeezed unpasteurized apple juice on top of my fridge, I'm going to try the natural fermentation road first if fermentation doesn't kick off in 3-5 days they're getting some winebrewers yeast. Anyway the question!

If I leave them in the bottles they're brewed in after fermentation has run its course, put an absolutely tiny pinch of sugar into each of them and cap them off will they carbonate alright do I put them in the fridge straight after or leave it for a few minutes?

Cool, thanks.

Chilling it speeds up this process a lot btw

That's my problem, learning my bottling time, or else you get vinegar

There is a long-term homebrewing general for anyone interested

Well, it's non alcoholic but anyone try brewing malta? I've been wanting to give it a try. Looks pretty damn easy to do.

Routinely brew beer, wine and mead. Recently got into sake and the hipsters that drink good sake that have tried it tell me it's on par with good quality sake. I make my own starter by incubating Koji mold spores with rice for 48 hours. Pretty fun. Pic was a glass of my second batch.

Fuck off weeb

Fuck you. We're talking about brewing. Just fuck right off back to whatever white nationalist website you favor. Sick of your cancer. Sake on the left, shithead.

I have 2 batches going

> 5 gallons of mandarin mead
> 1 gallon of Orange blossom extra-sweet mead

I've been distilling some simple drinks with a mate for a while now. We've got two oak casks, one of which we filled with distilled wine to make cognac. We want to use the other one for whisky, but we're not sure if we should prepare the cask beforehand. Is it advisable to soak to cask with Port or Sherry before throwing in the whisky distilate?

Can I make it in my closet without my mom finding out?

If I'm brewing Apple cider right in the juice bottle is it important to keep it away from light?

I'm not talking direct sunlight but the bottles are in my laundry. A friend came over and suggested I should move them into a dark area as thats what you're next to do.

How safe would it be to brew a gallon or so of cider in a dorm room if there are monthly room inspections?

>that air lock that's basically a coiled tube

I learned something today

>posting the same picture every time there's a homebrew thread

Are you underage or why can't you drink? Do note that you might face expulsion or worse depending on how strict your dorm is.
I'd imagine fermenting it in a cellar or a warehouse would be best if you have those.
But you can ferment cider easily in a month, if you have a 2 week primary and then you bottle it you can have it out of sight by the time of the next inspection. You'll just have to keep the bottles out of sight during the inspection.

What should I do with this badboy lads? Got it for 4 bucks. No preservatives, pasteurized, and it has blackberry purée in it. I have white sugar and winemaker's yeast on hand. Never tried this before, but I want to see how good of a wine I can get without investing in any equipment.

Here's the label on the back.

Oh yeah, alcohol in rooms is fine we just aren't allowed to produce it ourselves. Over legal age in my country (Australia)

Whether you get caught or not would be a dice roll, because of the odor. Sometimes I can make a batch and will never catch a whiff of it until I remove the airlock. Then sometimes I can smell a brew from 10 meters away the third day in. So even if you can get it done between room checks, the smell might be a hurdle as well.

I bought the gear required to brew mead recently thinking it would be a good way to start out

i haven't started my brew yet though

I'm making my second kvass. 9 liter. How do I increase the alc. vol.? Should I double the sugar from 1kg to 2 or what the hell should I do?

It is if you want to your whiskey to pick up some of those flavors, but a regular charred oak cask with no other additives would be fine on it's own for any single malt, rye or bourbon. I love sherry casks, but they're hard to get a hold of, and if you wanted to fill a new cask with sherry so you can then use it for whiskey you're looking at quite a time sink for a single run of whiskey.

What size barrels are you using and what level of char? Smaller barrels typically impart a much greener, almost bitter taste to a distillate than a full sized barrel.

Would it be worth the effort to get a small whisky batch going? Just enough for a liter or two?

Smallest mash I would recommend would be five gallons. Any smaller and by the time you're doing your finishing run you won't have enough low wines to make accurate cuts.

And as far as if its "worth the effort" that would be up to you. I enjoy the process from start to finish, so I spend most of my free time away from the distillery working on my own private still. Your first few batches probably won't be too good so don't go in with huge expectations. And whiskey has to age, so then you're looking at buying barrels and waiting months (assuming you use a little 5L barrel).

I recommend a lot of people to start out with Gin or Rum. The ingredients for the mashes are simple, cheap and widely available, you can get experience in the process and not be out a bunch of cash if the product doesn't turn out well, and both are easily drinkable and let you play with flavors via infusion.

Ive been thinking about buying some barely and making my own beer and whisky this summer. How much does an average copper pot still cost along with a needed burner?

So I'm planning on pouring some out, mixing in two cups of sugar, pouring some back in, shaking it up, and adding 0.5 grams of yeast, shaking once more for good measure. Gonna leave the cap ajar and stick it in a garbage bag in case it leaks. How long would it take to ferment?

I brew a bunch of different beers and I've done mead before but I wasn't happy with it.

I bring questions to ye of other brews:

Would a buckwheat honey mead be less sweet/allow for less attenuation to reach the same level of dryness?

What kind of apples would be best for an apply yet dry cider? (same thing?... less sweet apples and a less aggressive yeast?)

I'm trying to get into it. This is my first batch of mead. Looks like it's going well so far.

The attenuation of meads is most depended on the gravity of your mead as well as the yeast. Lighter meads finish less sweet. I doubt the quality of the honey matters much in sweetness, more in the aroma and the floral notes etc.
For cider, you'll want a nice selection of very tart apples and some less tart or bitter apples. The appley taste comes if you use juice that's been freshly juiced, and all of the sugar will dry out if you're not dumping a ton of sugar in the cider. In fact, I'd suggest not using any sugar to boost abv. Makes for a light, very refreshing summer drink, about 4-6 % abv. Cider yeasts usually finish very dry. I'd check if you have people with apple trees in your family or friends, most likely they'll have too much apples than they can eat anf they might have more tart or bitter apples than what you get from the supermarket. I would not use bought apples in a cider. Too much sugar and too little taste. Leaves the cider bland after the sugar turns into alcohol.
And if the cider turns too acidic, you can tune it with chalk, or if it's too bland you can put citric acid in it.

I'm actually five mins from an orchard that's about the size of my neighbourhood. I was thinking some Courtlands and some Macs, but it might be a little one-note.

Thanks for the tips!

Just placed 3rd in my first homebrew competition. It's a small competition but it was fun.

I brew beer. Getting better at it.

I want to make mead; I can get hold of organic ethically-sourced locally-produced honey easily for snob value, so why not?
My grandmother keeps bees. Very good honey, even if the furry bastards don't like me much.

I'm curious about this Trader Joe's blackberry juice. I use it all the time for smoothies and I wonder how it will turn out as a wine.

Post results after fermentation!

Well it's going okay so far. I checked the dosage on the yeast I have and after some conversations and calculations I can to 0.94 grams of it per 64 ounces. I'm American so converting from hectolitres was a little confusing. Anyway, here's the yeast measured out as close as I could get it.

YEAST. NICE AND WARM.

IN

Gonna start my mead soon, can't wait

Why do you own a high precision scale?

Leave an inch or two of headspace, since it will probably bubble up. It will probably finish fermenting in a couple weeks (most of the activity in the first few days), but I'd say leave it alone for 3 weeks.

Stoner roommates.
Thanks for the advice. It pained me a bit to poor off some but hopefully it will save more on the long run. Left the cap ajar and covered with a rubber band and plastic bag. The second plastic bag is the catch leakage because I'm fermenting in my closet because I live on the 4th floor of an apartment. Fingers crossed.

Headspace.

That could be filled too full. If your yeast is top fermenting the CO_2 buildup will push your yeast to the top in form of "foam" (Kräusen). If it spills over to an uncelan environment it can cause infections and ruin your brew.
On the topic of duration I would guess about 4-5 days. 20l takes me about 10 days until it is fully fermented.

Poured some off. I think I've done everything I can for it now and I just have to wait.

What taste do you want to achieve in relation to sugar/alcohol and carbonation?

I wasn't shooting for any carbonation at all, but if it's there I won't be mad. I'm going for maximum ABV and hoping it still tastes drinkable.

You will always get some carbonation depending on the temperature of your mixture, of course you can remove it it by shaking your concoction. For max ABV be patient and wait. After the yeast startet devouring those delicious sugars there is not much that will turn it bad. Even after a month

It's been a few hours and I think it's developing a head. Didn't think it was going to look quite so thick, is this right?

You should definitely ask if the people running the orchard have made cider before and if they have any recommendations for apple varieties.

Just bottled my first go at making sake, surprisingly delicious and potent despite a pretty simple brewing process