Want to be admitted to a top 20 PhD program?

Have a 3.8-3.9+ GPA

-Score very high on the GRE

-Have publications in a peer-reviewed journal

-Make your SOP exclusively about what research problems you already solved, or write about original techniques you intend to use to solve an open problem. Do not use your SOP to simply express interest in X,Y,Z field. Waste of space. Show me you already did research and have ideas to expand upon it.

-Have professors write about the research you did with them. They need to speak objectively. What they say/don't say in letters can kill your application.

-Have several upper-division courses (with As) in your field of interest.

The most important part of your application is publishing research papers. IF you haven't published, then admitting you will have some risk to it.

This is just blunt advice.

>Reminder: Veeky Forums is for discussing topics pertaining to science and mathematics, not for helping you with your homework or helping you figure out your career path.

>If you want advice regarding college/university or your career path, go to /adv/ - Advice.

>If you want advice regarding college/university or your career path, go to /adv/ - Advice.

Because an Art major can give a math major advice on getting into departments specializing in algebraic topology.

Maybe you are the one that should exclude yourself from math & science conversations and hang out in /adv/ with fellow non-mathfags

>Because an Art major can give a math major advice on getting into departments specializing in algebraic topology.
since when is /adv/ limited to art majors?

>Maybe you are the one that should exclude yourself from math & science conversations and hang out in /adv/ with fellow non-mathfags
but this thread isn't about math or science, and i've already been admitted to multiple graduate math programs

Do you have experience in Mathematics-related PhD recruition or Physics?

>since when is /adv/ limited to art majors?

Since when does /adv/ discuss mathematics?

>but this thread isn't about math or science, and i've already been admitted to multiple graduate math programs

Does mommy need remind you that you're special and only one that matters in this world?

This advice applies to math.

>Since when does /adv/ discuss mathematics?
why would it? you seem confused. this thread doesn't have any math or science in it, only school advice, which the sticky says belongs in /adv/

>Does mommy need remind you that you're special and only one that matters in this world?
sure thing man, high quality posts you've got here

what about physics

did you get into a top 20

>why would it? you seem confused. this thread doesn't have any math or science in it, only school advice, which the sticky says belongs in /adv/

There has been discussion on this in the past. Most agree these threads belong in Veeky Forums, Adv is not the place to go for STEM advice on graduate admissions.

>sure thing man, high quality posts you've got here

You produced no value in this thread. None of your post are "high value".

I imagine it would be true for any STEM field. If you do not have publications then you are at risk. You need research experience at the very least. Ask yourself this, why would I admit you over a top quality Chinese student with publications and an very strong SOP that speaks to their research techniques in solving original problems?

>There has been discussion on this in the past. Most agree these threads belong in Veeky Forums, Adv is not the place to go for STEM advice on graduate admissions.
and there shouldn't be, as your arbitrary 'most' don't matter, since the mods agree these threads belong on /adv/

the only reason you think STEM advice belongs here is because you can't even seem to read a sticky, which makes me think you probably have little chance of giving any good advice for graduate school recruitment anyway

>You produced no value in this thread. None of your post are "high value".
what would i have to gain by turning a shit thread that's off-topic for this board into something better?

I know what professors at top 20s look for in the admissions committee. DWIC LORs don't mean anything. You need research experience. There re subtle expressions that professors write in LOR that basically say "I have nothing to say about this student " and those are bad.

The sticky only relates to asking questions, not answering them.

There is also a science to getting into a good grad school :v

Check archive. There have been threads on this in the past and most agree mods should allow such threads. You produced no value by posting here. STEM readers tend not to visit /adv/ or post there.

>The sticky only relates to asking questions, not answering them.
whose question is being answered by this thread?

>There is also a science to getting into a good grad school :v
its called not being a brainlet, i got into all but one school i applied to and rushed out every single one of my applications

>Check archive.
there's tons of shitposts in the archive, why do those matter?

>There have been threads on this in the past and most agree mods should allow such threads.
>most agree
[citation needed]

>You produced no value by posting here.
great

>STEM readers tend not to visit /adv/ or post there.
[citation needed]

yes?

You wrote nothing worth commenting on.

>You wrote nothing worth commenting on.
then why did you comment?

Letting you know that I am going to ignore autistic post from you this post onward. You can write whatever you want but I will ignore it (others may reply to your post though).

can you at least start posting about something related to math or science so that we can pretend this thread belongs on this board?

>Want to be admitted to a top 20 PhD program?

probably not from all of the horror stories i have read about from 9/10 grad students

nobody wants to be in academia anyway.

General GRE is of lowest weight usually

r u stoopit

How does this pan for European insittutions?

What does it take in terms of GPA to not get glossed over somewhere like ETH, LMU Munich, or EPF?

Specifically for biophysics or molecular biology.

How do I into publishing? Math undergrad shitter here.

autism

actually am artismo

nice quads

still autistic

they dont care about gpa very much, and ur test scores aren't super important either as long as they're good

You missed their point. Low GRE is auto-reject. It isn't saying high GRE gets you in. GPA matters much more with lack of research experience. No research experience, low GPA is usually an auto reject.

Since when can you get accepted for a Phd with no research experience to begin with?

Everywhere in Europe, you do a PhD after your MSc. In your MSc you usually do some research, but it's never really published.